IGNORED

What is the etiology of the word "console" in TI context?

OLD CS1

This is a discussion a few of us had after VCF over drinks last night.  Why does TI call the computer a console?  This term is used in user manuals, and I recall computers in which the main system is a built-in keyboard (and perhaps other peripherals) were called "consoles" or "console computers."  For instance, in regular conversation, we have referred to the non "big box" Amigas as console Amigas (i.e. the A500, A1200, and A600.)

In the discussion, we noted the term "console" elicit the vision of a game console, a terminal (like TTY, &c,) or something like a console television or old console stereo system.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JB said:

The console is the unit responsible for user IO. It just so happens to also be the main system chassis in the case of the 4a, which is a minor piddling detail.

So, in this context, the "console" just happens to have the mainboard in it, not the other way 'round.

• Like 1

Yes, I was thinking this as well...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_console

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Console_television

I used to work on these, at a store on PARK AVENUE(south), called, CLOSEOUT KING👑('79).

image.thumb.jpeg.043cee9952190f576396108261ed4c8c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ad561e4f1de950b8252c1c3b04cc6900.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.54da648e4b6a012c8dafbb1ea486b420.jpeg 

I just tested the controls and cleaned them up for the store.

They paid me in merchandise, and they sold these for only a few dollars each. So, on my own, I was able to fix a few up!

There were only several TOURNAMENT 2000 models, most were 1000s, there was only one 150(above). I got it, and gutted it. I installed a radio controller from a small car(single button type), into the right-hand control unit(wired). I put an LED, in the upper-right speaker grill hole(as a battery tester). I could switch between different batteries(inside), by using the knob. I kept it inside a record player case(also gutted), along with the control receiver, which I could sneakily install, or run using adaptors.

image.thumb.jpeg.eff4a3e684e6885c899073e8ee1db67b.jpeg

...Sorry, no more performances!🎤:yawn:

• Like 3

My opinion is that TI were right to call the main computer the console, after all we have terminology such as "Tardis Console Room" in Doctor Who.  The central piece being the control console.

It's the central control point of all other peripherals, be it the printer, the PEB itself, and disk drives, tape recorder etc.

The word "Console" was slapped onto videogame systems and I thought that to be the reason people get confused or bemused at the TI being called Console also.  To the minds of Sega MasterSystem or NES owners, a console is something with no keyboard, this is wrong entirely. Console is the centre-piece of the hardware collection.

• Like 1

From Wiktionary:

Borrowed from French console (bracket, noun), from consoler (to console, to comfort, verb).

Sense of “bracket” either due to a bracket alleviating the load, or due to brackets being decorated with the Christian figure of a consolateur (consoler),[1] itself perhaps a pun on the first sense (alleviating load).

Originally used for the bracket itself, then for wall-mounted tables (mounted with a bracket), then for free-standing tables placed against a wall. Use for control system dates at least to 1880s for an “organ console”; use for electrical or electronic control systems dates at least to 1930s in radio, television, and system control, particularly as “mixer console” or “control console”, attached to an equipment rack. This was popularized in computers by mainframes such as the IBM 704 (1954) in terms such as “operator’s console” or “console typewriter”, and then generalized to any attached equipment, particularly for user interaction. The automotive sense harks back to earlier use as “support”.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So I'm probably older than many on here. I remember the early pong games in the 70s, the Atari 2600, the Sears version, Intellivision, and the TI all being called consoles. I think any device that hooked up to a television to display it's goods was called a console, and if it was for games mostly, a game or gaming console. I think it really changed when the Nintendo Entertainment System came out. Then it was called a gaming system instead of console, IIRC.

Edited by 99V
  • Like 2

Which is where I suspect some of the confusion comes in.  As was pointed out to me, TI's own documents are inconsistent, sometimes calling the system a "console" and sometimes calling it a "computer."  I remember the Atari Video Computer System, the Nintendo Entertainment System, &c.  I want to say the first time I heard "console" used in the context of a gaming system was the Sega Genesis.  But, it seems the term "console" has taken place in our lexicon to mean a system dedicated to playing games, as a non-computer.

But, as the song goes, "play it all by yourself 'cause she's always a console to me."

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Even weirder, the Commodore 64 which came out around the same time was always called a computer. It's enough to drive you crazy if you let it, to name another lyric from a song. 

Edited by 99V
  • Like 1