IGNORED

general repair cost question

newTIboyRob

Hi, I've had an 800XL with a non-functioning space bar for quite some time now. I don't feel comfortable opening her up myself, particularly due to that tenuous attached ribbon cable inside. Unlikely I could fix it anyway; someone who knows what they are doing is the key here.

But if it is just a (relatively) simple fix, can you give me an idea, cost-wise in a range, of what it would be to open it up and tinker?  It might be nothing, or a very cheap part, etc but I didn't want to spend an arm and a leg on it.

I have to keep in my that no one in my area fixes these, so I  would I have to ship out from the east coast, (but that shouldn't be more than about $10 USPS ground each way.)

So at this stage, just looking for some general repair cost ranges. Any thoughts?

Thanks

If you find that there is no-one in the States then there is of course FlashJazzCat (Jon) here in the UK who offers a sevice and also does regular fixes on his YT channel.

https://atari8.co.uk/hardware/upgrades-and-repairs/

TBH if it is just the keyboard at fault you might as well just source a working replacement donor keyboard from an 800XL or 600XL and swap em out. It's dead easy to swap em out.

Can you post some pics of the machine?

If you determine that the keyboard is of the mechanical type with microswitches (types 1, 2 or 3), you may be able to resurrect the key by operating it continually as corrosion can prevent correct switch contact. Simply operating the key 100 times or so may restore normal operation.

6 minutes ago, newTIboyRob said:

Good suggestion. I will look into that, thank you.  It was kind of strange like that.... it was working, and then, poof, it wasn't.

Being 40 year old vintage computers anything can go any anytime very suddenly :) The great thing about the 800XL and 600XL lines is there are several compatible keyboards so you can always source and swap em out. For the non membrane versions you can swap out individual key switches from donor XL keyboards. For the membrane type ones there are new membranes available as replacements.

Also try tzgb's suggestion. I've also resurrected keys the same way but in addition I've sprayed it with contact cleaner and pressed it many times. 

8 hours ago, newTIboyRob said:

Actually New York. When I can, I will try Tzgb's suggestion. Maybe just taking in out and putting it back and hitting it like 100 times may get it work again. It was fluky how it just "went" like that out of nowhere after working fine when I was testing it out. 

If the key suddenly stopped working, it just occured to me that it may be be worth checking the solder joints, which may have broken and will need re-making.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...