IGNORED

username login as email now?

amiman99

Question

Hi, I have been login on the site like forever, so I did not login in and out for many months. I did a browser switch resently, so I had to login again.

The site was asking for an email as a username not Atariage username, is this a recent change?

Thanks

3 answers to this question

Yes, some months ago I made the change so you need to login with your email address instead of username.  This was done as some accounts (with likely weak passwords) had been hacked and then used to attempt to scam members.  Since usernames are publicly visible, this makes them easier to hack since you know one half of the equation if that username is used to login to the website.  But since email addresses are not publicly displayed, this makes accounts considerably more secure, as you'd need to know someone's email address before you could even attempt to hack their account.  This is also now the default behavior for this forum software for any new installations.

..Al

• Like 1