IGNORED

How to prepare am MP4 video file for Virtualdub

rcamp48

Hello everyone:

I have created a video that shows you how to export your MP4 video file in VideoPad and WavePad to create the best graphics and sound experience on either the AVG cart or the Side/Side 2 cart and has everything in it that you need to know for this part of the processing, oh don't use Mpeg-1 videos to start off they just are not good enough.

Edited by rcamp48
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, rcamp48 said:

Hello everyone:

I have created a video that shows you how to export your MP4 video file in VideoPad and WavePad to create the best graphics and sound experience on either the AVG cart or the Side/Side 2 cart and has everything in it that you need to know for this part of the processing, oh don't use Mpeg-1 videos to start off they just are not good enough.

It works perfectly in surround sound 5.1 I will try surround sound 7.1 Virtual Dub does not know the difference between mono, stereo or Surround sound but it definately sounds better in surround sound if you use a good set of headphones on Altirra. 

what are you talking about, atari will produce 2 channel stereo at best, or mono single channel. Maybe some artifact of down-mixing sounds better for some odd reason, but you are not going to get dolby 5.1, or SDS, nor THX 7.1 at al out of any of these Ataris and their emulator counter parts.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

what are you talking about, atari will produce 2 channel stereo at best, or mono single channel. Maybe some artifact of down-mixing sounds better for some odd reason, but you are not going to get dolby 5.1, or SDS, nor THX 7.1 at al out of any of these Ataris and their emulator counter parts.

You are right Doc, I am just using a SS signal , and it tricks even the Atari into playing more notes , I have the video , you see when you process the signal in Virtual Dub it takes the SS signal and it does not know the difference, it converts that signal into raw data , you CAN notice a difference in the Atari video , mainly its louder but there are more notes jammed in there and it does sound nice, have a look at the video that I created for YouTube and tell me what you think of it. I am going to have to do a normal video to compare in, but the difference is noticeable 

OK you guys have peaked my curiosity, what is the difference between a signal that was recorded from Stereo and a signal that was recorded from surround sound 5.1 ????

(I am definitely gonna have to try Surround Sound 7.1 with weighted speakers that are emulated in Wavepad, Wavepad is where I get all of my audio signals from...).

• Like 1

Here are the two IMG files from that video: 

And I must add a correction, when I mix the audio file down from Surround Sound , it saves it in Stereo, 48000 htz, what exactly is the mix down doing to make a huge difference in the sound, is it only getting loader? Or is the mixdown somehow cramming more notes in the signal? I don't know enough about sound so maybe you Doc can let me know what you think it is doing to produce a different signal.

Pal IMG files are coming as soon as I get some sleep, I have to go and pick up my newly repaired reel to reel machine this afternoon from Natural Sound, so the Pal versions of Stereo , SS 5.1 and SS 7.1 plus the NTSC version of SS 7.1 of ZZ-TOP Gimme All Your Loving will be ready my tomorrow.

Gimme_All_SS_Out_NTSC.img gimme_stereo_out_NTSC.img

The first one in the comparison sounded better, but like you said, it may just be louder. It might not be a better quality recording. But it does sound better and if it is easier to get the recording better that way rather than tweaking levels it might be the better way to go. This might encroach on territory similar to people and vinyl cds. Good work.

1 hour ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Sennheiser ?!?   www.sennheiser.com

Sennheiser headphones  but yes I do believe that is their website, the headphones are like $200 Canadian now, really good noise cancelling ones.

Edited by rcamp48

2 hours ago, invisible kid said:

The first one in the comparison sounded better, but like you said, it may just be louder. It might not be a better quality recording. But it does sound better and if it is easier to get the recording better that way rather than tweaking levels it might be the better way to go. This might encroach on territory similar to people and vinyl cds. Good work.

Ya it just might be louder but that's what I want and by tweaking the effects in the sound rather than the levels , ie: adding reverb, possibly echo but not too much and adding chorus to the sound , also saving it in SS may not be necessary as it just converts it back to stereo for the video. I do know that the higher the graphics quality that you start off with the better, thus Mpeg-1 is not good enough (or at least I don't think it is) , it is better to start off with a good AVI file and use DIVX with both Virtual dub and the avi video.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Russ

• Like 1