IGNORED

Firmware update not recognized

RamsesUTL

35 minutes ago, MrZarniwoop said:

Same issue with Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB card. Tried Mac, Windows, and Windows SD Card Formatter Tool format. All ROMs load fine, just no firmware update.

Don't have another handy card to try but will order some.

I ordered up some of these sometime back and have had good luck with them. But I will admit that I'm using these on my BBPro and DF carts. I'm using an old 4gb micro sd in my 7800GD. Perhaps give these a try and see how they work?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09KL71CFN?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

On 9/26/2023 at 9:46 AM, SainT said:

Had a pain trying to format the 64GB card to FAT32 and gave up. I also have a suspicion it was a counterfeit card as it did not arrive in retail packaging and was in a little bag marked as "refurbished". Very sus.

So next I ordered a 32GB Ultra card and made sure it was in the retail packaging. This works fine. :(

If anyone would like to send me a memory card (i'll happily pay for it) which does not work I can investigate, currently I cannot find a problem.

Glad you are looking into this issue. I can send you one of my 32GB cards at the end of the coming week. Please pm me with an address.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2023 at 3:43 PM, MrZarniwoop said:

Same issue with Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB card. Tried Mac, Windows, and Windows SD Card Formatter Tool format. All ROMs load fine, just no firmware update.

Don't have another handy card to try but will order some.

Update: Bought some Sandisk Ultra 16GB cards. Copied files over from the Extreme Pro 32GB card, and the firmware updated without issue on the 7800GD.

Seems like at least the 32GB Extreme Pro is a problem for updating firmware on the 7800GD, although otherwise playing games works fine.

• Like 2

With much thanks to @RamsesUTL I have received the memory card in question which did not work with firmware updates and have found the problem. It's not something I can update via a firmware update, unfortunately, as it's in the fixed bootloader portion of the cart, but any new carts will have the issue fixed.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

I had a funky problem myself with firmware... First, I scanned the QR code in the manual and tried using the firmware from that link, but when I booted it up, it kept saying the update is "invalid",  refusing to boot into the menu.

Next, I tried scanning the QR code on the TV screen itself and used that link instead. Once I downloaded that firmware and replaced the previous file with this new one, it booted right up. Weird! It must be serialized or something. :)

1 hour ago, SiLic0ne t0aD said:

I had a funky problem myself with firmware... First, I scanned the QR code in the manual and tried using the firmware from that link, but when I booted it up, it kept saying the update is "invalid",  refusing to boot into the menu.

Next, I tried scanning the QR code on the TV screen itself and used that link instead. Once I downloaded that firmware and replaced the previous file with this new one, it booted right up. Weird! It must be serialized or something. :)

If you read the instructions they tell you to scan the QR on the console. The QR in the instructions is deliberately blurred to stop it being recognised and scanned, but due to very clever phones, the damn thing scans anyway! It’s just there for illustrative purposes.

• 1 month later...
On 8/22/2023 at 10:07 PM, RamsesUTL said:

Today I received an MicroSD card from a different brand, unpacked it, copied the latest firmware and it worked.

All my other cards are SanDisk, mostly 32GB Ultra A1 but also one 256GB Extreme A2. They all start just fine into the menu and work with games.

That new card is just an PNY 16GB Elite class 10 UHS-I. Is there a chance that the modern SanDisk cards are in some way to fast?

Thanks again for all your input and the great GameDrive! If you want to investigate further and have me test something, just let me know.

Hi,
I have the same problem with updated which doesn't work.
I tried on several microSD cards without success. The ROMs are readable and functional, but the update file is not recognized.
- Can you give me the exact reference of your new card?
- Can you attach a photo of the card?
I think that a list of microSD cards compatible with our first versions of 7800GD would be welcome.
Thanks in advance
Nobru

20231213_134759.jpg

5 hours ago, SainT said:

Is this a new cart (ie. bought in the last few weeks) or an old one? This issue should have been resolved in the newer version.

hi,
The cart was purchased on 11/18 at the "retro gamer stuff" store.
serial number in the photo.
the photo of the SD card will allow me to find at least one micro SD card to do the updates.
for the moment nothing urgent, the roms seem to work quite well.

nobru

serial number.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nobru said:
hi,
The cart was purchased on 11/18 at the "retro gamer stuff" store.
serial number in the photo.
the photo of the SD card will allow me to find at least one micro SD card to do the updates.
for the moment nothing urgent, the roms seem to work quite well.

nobru

serial number.jpg

That's really strange, I thought I'd fixed the issue with some memory cards not being recognized with the latest carts.

If you would like to send me a memory card which you are having issues with I can take a look again. @RamsesUTL had sent me a memory card which was having issues before and I fixed the issue, but I guess there are more with issues. 🙄

The only card I can see which might have issues from the photo above is the 64GB card as that will not be formatted as FAT32 normally. The rest of the cards, especially 2GB and 4GB I would have thought should be fine.

One more thought, is the update file named firmware.upd and in the root (not in any directories) of the memory card? The only other issue with it not being recognised is if it’s named incorrectly.

Edited by SainT

• 6 months later...