IGNORED

SUBCART

tmp

Thread for SUBCART firmware announcements / bug reports

subcart.jpg

Differences compared to AVGCART:

• More onboard RAM, allowing e.g. expanding Atari to 1088kB (in all scenarios, not only ATR, including 16kB stock Atari 600XL) or provide 4MB AXLON compatible mem expansion (PBI or ECI cable required)
  • built-in battery backed RTC with SDX driver
  • Optional DAC cable allows stereo POKEY/COVOX emulation (PBI or ECI cable required)

Onboard RAM is slower than the one used in AVGCART which makes filesystem browsing/loading files slightly slower (will be benchmarked).

You need ECI or PBI cable to make use of any extra features. Using it on a modified machine (3rd party internal memory expansion, U1MB) is not recommended and will most likely cause conflicts.

POKEY emulation should be considered beta and will gradually improve with FW updates.

Latest firmware:

0010 (changelog)

Edited by tmp
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 5

i tried to get it working on avgcart last year or so but it wasn't working properly for some reason (some demos had glitches, some didn't) so i just disabled it

i might revisit it one day when i'll feel masochistic but that's not a promise, always make decisions based on existing features, not what people promise you ;-)

i finally made a search benchmark run to figure out how much slower subcart is compared to avgcart, results seem a bit weird to me but i can't find an error in tests

methodology: format (fat32) sd card (some 8gb sandisk i had here), unpack latest Homesoft Collection (228 dirs, 4918 files), unpack latest atarionline.pl (tosec named, 5469 dirs, 18040 files) game collection, search for "zybex" (actually "ybex" since i found out that Z key stopped working on this machine, pathetic) in both collections (should traverse through all directories and find some zybex files under Z dir)

AVGCART: 2s, 15s

SUBCART: 2s, 16s

so basically the same which is confusing because i could swear that early in development i ran a quick test and i feel the "overkill" aol test was in 30-40s range but i'm not complaining

for completeness, i ran the same search using the same card on a different multicart, the results were 36s and 272s

Edited by tmp
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, tmp said:

i tried to get it working on avgcart last year or so but it wasn't working properly for some reason (some demos had glitches, some didn't) so i just disabled it

i might revisit it one day when i'll feel masochistic but that's not a promise, always make decisions based on existing features, not what people promise you ;-)

Thank very much for that bit info and thank you for trying! Maybe someday!

Yes I figured that going back and reading is again, but you are correct the results don't make sense. very odd indeed. maybe renaming moved the file to the beginning of the SD cards wear leveling an it's not at the end any more or some such strange thing?

Edited by _The Doctor__

I have a couple questions, cause this looks like exactly what I want!

1) Can you use all three extra cables at once (ECI / SIO / DAC)? I want to play with all the features at once.

2) Do any configurations allow .ATR files that load a custom RAM-based OS in high memory (such as used by Alternate Reality: The Dungeon) that have their own SIO code? I'd guess the SIO cable version, but wanted to double check.

6 hours ago, Zolaerla said:

1) Can you use all three extra cables at once (ECI / SIO / DAC)? I want to play with all the features at once.

of course

6 hours ago, Zolaerla said:

2) Do any configurations allow .ATR files that load a custom RAM-based OS in high memory (such as used by Alternate Reality: The Dungeon) that have their own SIO code? I'd guess the SIO cable version, but wanted to double check.

yes, all three atr handling methods are supported (patched os in ram, using "pbi newdevice" functionality (eci/pbi cable), full sio emulation (sio cable)), when sio cable is connected, the last method is used unless it's overridden via shift-return (i need to add a setting to let user set the preferred method)

• Like 1

Hello folks,

a few years ago I built a demo compilation for the 4MB Mega Cart. 
When The!Cart came out later, I split this compilation into two parts as 2MB Mega Cart Roms. 
The!Cart cannot process the 4MB type. Attached are these rom files including header. 
The Mega Cart 4MB is type $39 and the Mega Cart 2MB is type $40. 
Would be nice if it can be implemented in the SUB Cart.

By the way, I affectionately call the SUB, Octopus Cart. All these cables are like the arms of an octopus. :cool:

Demos are forever.zip

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 8/18/2023 at 12:44 PM, Wilheim said:

I'll pm you with the images, thank you!

On 8/18/2023 at 4:45 PM, Yellowman said:

Hello folks,

a few years ago I built a demo compilation for the 4MB Mega Cart. 
When The!Cart came out later, I split this compilation into two parts as 2MB Mega Cart Roms. 
The!Cart cannot process the 4MB type. Attached are these rom files including header. 
The Mega Cart 4MB is type $39 and the Mega Cart 2MB is type $40. 
Would be nice if it can be implemented in the SUB Cart.

By the way, I affectionately call the SUB, Octopus Cart. All these cables are like the arms of an octopus. :cool:

Demos are forever.zip 6.08 MB · 15 downloads

thanks, i'll have a look at next week

36 minutes ago, tmp said:

thanks, i'll have a look at next week

Thank you!

another thought it came to my mind: have you considered putting the covox emulation into the audio in SIO pin port? I understand that the SIO cable the audio pin is not present, but who knows, maybe it could be a feature to consider in the future.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wilheim said:

Thank you!

another thought it came to my mind: have you considered putting the covox emulation into the audio in SIO pin port? I understand that the SIO cable the audio pin is not present, but who knows, maybe it could be a feature to consider in the future.

that could probably be looped back so 800's could have that as well, but since stereo was the goal, the current dongle/pug got it done in any event as you have a right and a left out to your tv/monitor/stereo... as a monaural source a switch might be needed turn it on or off. 8 channel mono sound plus covox actually is a nice thing, and 4+4 and covox stereo is better. Not a bad idea at all!

Edited by _The Doctor__