IGNORED

SUBCART

tmp

any game? some particular game?

did it work before? never worked?

does it change if you remove eci/pbi cable before trying?

simply give me something to work with

I tried several different games. ATR, XEX etc. I currently have no cables connected to the cart. I will get my other 800XL out later and try it on that. Never had an issue with it before today. Maybe I will switch out the SDCARD. 

Edited by TwiliteZoner

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I've got my subcart from January batch. It worked fine a few times but after upgrading U1MB firmware from FJC's 3.10 to 4.20 it doesn't boot, like nothing was inserted into the cartridge slot.

SIDE2 still works with my Atari. I've also tried the subcart on another machine and it worked there too.

Any idea what I'm missing?

My guess - combination of the SIDE2 emulation turned on in SubCart and U1MB options having the PBI Bios and HDD turned on. Not sure if SUB has the same buttons as AVG, but first I would try holding the left cart button pressed while powering up, it should boot to file selector, if not, go to the U1MB menus and turn off all U1MB PBI / HDD things off and see then (do not remember if the button is still necessary to get the cart out of SIDE2 mode). Or something entirely different of course.

On 8/13/2023 at 12:49 PM, tmp said:

Onboard RAM is slower than the one used in AVGCART which makes filesystem browsing/loading files slightly slower (will be benchmarked).

You need ECI or PBI cable to make use of any extra features. Using it on a modified machine (3rd party internal memory expansion, U1MB) is not recommended and will most likely cause conflicts.

Taken from the first post in this thread :) 

Suggest you do what Woj said and try and disable U1MB and PBI HDD in the U1MB bios to then run the Subcart. 

Everything on the U1MB 'turns right off', so that upgrade should not fall into the category of devices whose presence will cause 'conflicts'. You could have an U1MB configuration profile for SIDE, and another for SubCart with SpartaDOS X and the PBI HDD turned off. Pay attention also to the U1MB PBI BIOS device ID (if leaving HSIO acceleration enabled) as well and ensure it does not clash with that of SubCart, or simply disable the U1MB PBI BIOS entirely.

A combined BIOS or interleaved BIOS portions could be interesting, a possible synergy for the two together, with of course hardware overlaps turned off on one or the other. Imagine swapping overlaps out with each other as not only a bank switch but as an entirely full state swap. :)

9 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

No one would want such things, and it might even depend on who mentions something of that nature.

Might it? Remember that I was the one who suggested SIDE emulation mode to the developer about six years ago, and it was enthusiastically realised. Times have changed, though.

• 2 months later...

Hello there guys.
I purchased my SubCart almost a year ago. It has been into a drawer since it arrived.
Didn't have the time to get the XE from the attic until now for several reasons.

Well, the thing is... I've noticed i purchased the unit along three cables, the DAC, ECI and PBI one.
The PBI i guess it's for the XL, i have one either.

The thing is i find the SIO cable missing, would i need it for any special reason?
Is there any manual or similar for the unit? I wasn't able to find any.
Thank you!

Edited by DyLucke

The SIO cable is required to boot ATR images. With the cable you can load almost 100% of programs, since you do NOT need a special "RAM OS" (also known as OSXEX or OSXEX2) that uses RAM under the OS.

Without the cable OSXEX (or OSXEX2) is required to boot ATR images and this RAM OS uses RAM under the OS, which means that only programs that utilize max. 48k RAM will work. All programs that make use of RAM under the OS (full 64k) will not work. I would therefore invest the 10 Euro or Dollars and buy the SIO cable.

(Unsure if ATR images can also be booted via the PBI/ECI cable; tried it with a few 16MB ATRs with MyDOS and SIO cable only and they worked. With SIO cable and PBI cable connected they all locked up. Removed the SIO cable from the 800XL computer, so that only the PBI cable was plugged in and they locked up again. Enabled the SIDE mode in the settings, re-booted with PBI cable, but they still locked up. So I gave up and have not tested booting any other ATR images with other DOSes via PBI cable yet... guess I am doing something wrong here or booting ATR images via PBI/ECI cable does not work.)

There is no manual for the SUB cart yet, simply use the manual of the AVG cart, since most things do work the same with both carts. https://atari8bit.net/tutorials/de-re-avgcart/

• Like 1

I'll follow your advice, 11 euro means nothing if you have the ATR stuff solved in an easy way.
For no special reason it was in my mind that ATR files could work through the ECI port... I don't know if that's implemented but was a somehow silly thought, since disk drives are attached to the SIO port.

13 hours ago, DyLucke said:

Hello there guys.
I purchased my SubCart almost a year ago. It has been into a drawer since it arrived.
Didn't have the time to get the XE from the attic until now for several reasons.

Well, the thing is... I've noticed i purchased the unit along three cables, the DAC, ECI and PBI one.
The PBI i guess it's for the XL, i have one either.

The thing is i find the SIO cable missing, would i need it for any special reason?
Is there any manual or similar for the unit? I wasn't able to find any.
Thank you!

I've read that you need to ensure  - with the ECI cable - that you plug it in the XE the correct orientation, or you'll potentially fry either or both the XE and cart. 

As recommended by others, I'd also invest in the SIO cable to complete the full functionality.

Okay,

did RTFM of AVG cart and it looks like when both SIO cable and PBI cable are connected you have to use SHIFT-Return to load an ATR image with highspeed. You also must have highspeed SIO enabled in the settings (any number from 0-9 will do). Loading then sounds like loading with highspeed SIO and Pokey divisor zero, but I guess thats just my ears (hard hearing, you know). And errmm, only ATR images without any highspeed/ultraspeed/turbo/... loaders (including DOS/Gamedos/Bootloader/... versions with highspeed SIO) worked that way. All ATR images that did have highspeed SIO loaders locked up, so one has to use "slow" or "normal" DOS/Gamedos/Bootloader/... versions for loading via PBI/ECI.

Step by step:

- use only ATR images without any highspeed/ultraspeed/turbo/warpspeed/... floppy speeders,

since they will mostly lock up (meaning, use only ATR images with slow or normal DOS/Gamedos/Bootloader/... versions)

- plug in your AVG or Sub cart and also plug in SIO cable and PBI/ECI cable

- enable highspeed SIO in the settings of AVG or Sub cart (use Return key to set to a number from 0 to 9)

- choose ATR image and press Shift-Return to load it as fast as possible

(ATR images that use custom SIO will still not work)

- Good luck! (last and most important step ;-) )

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Okay,

did RTFM of AVG cart and it looks like when both SIO cable and PBI cable are connected you have to use SHIFT-Return to load an ATR image with highspeed. You also must have highspeed SIO enabled in the settings (any number from 0-9 will do). Loading then sounds like loading with highspeed SIO and Pokey divisor zero, but I guess thats just my ears (hard hearing, you know). And errmm, only ATR images without any highspeed/ultraspeed/turbo/... loaders (including DOS/Gamedos/Bootloader/... versions with highspeed SIO) worked that way. All ATR images that did have highspeed SIO loaders locked up, so one has to use "slow" or "normal" DOS/Gamedos/Bootloader/... versions for loading via PBI/ECI.

Step by step:

- use only ATR images without any highspeed/ultraspeed/turbo/warpspeed/... floppy speeders,

since they will mostly lock up (meaning, use only ATR images with slow or normal DOS/Gamedos/Bootloader/... versions)

- plug in your AVG or Sub cart and also plug in SIO cable and PBI/ECI cable

- enable highspeed SIO in the settings of AVG or Sub cart (use Return key to set to a number from 0 to 9)

- choose ATR image and press Shift-Return to load it as fast as possible

(ATR images that use custom SIO will still not work)

- Good luck! (last and most important step ;-) )

no

shift-return just tells cart to use alternate method (sio -> pbi/eci, sio -> softos, pbi/eci -> softos, depending on cables)

three atr emulation methods, in order of compatibility

- sio

- pbi/eci (newdevice support in atari os)

- softos (patched os in ram)

cart automatically chooses the most compatible method depending on what cables are connected, shift-return forces the next in line

hsio relates only to sio

• Thanks 1

Find attached three 16MB (Gr.9) movie ATR images for loading via PBI/ECI

- 3SAT_TV.ATR (capture from german tv "3SAT"; they filmed an Abbuc user group meeting, including also our current Abbuc boss Carsten Strotmann; the capture was done by atarixle, alas, it is mostly unrecognizable, no matter if you do / do not know the original filmclip; this version uses a TB XL viewer to playback the movie); here is a video of it, that I found at youtube with french subtitles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1H_CNa9wsg

- Bad Apple (ASCII conversion done by R0ger afair; alas, the ML-file has a bug which causes high flicker during playback, maybe Antic was not correctly initialized, maybe it is something completely different. Would be great, if someone could correct or fix this - most likely in the data segment $2000-2022 and/or $0230-0231)

- Yar's Revenge video (conversion done by Mr. Atari, originally with sound and done for MyIDE; this version uses a TB XL viewer and plays only the movie without any sound); this video is an excerpt of the "The Fly (Yar's Revenge)" Atari 2600 commercial which can be found e.g. at youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0Mvwh_Jjhc

All three movies can be played back with any ATR loading device (they are loading from the ATR image with D1:Filename.Ext), but since the movies do require "some" speed to avoid frame drawing or slow motion, they are best played either from a harddisk -or- from AVG/Sub cart via PBI/ECI with Shift-Return. (Think they also work with SIDE 1/2/3 in combination with U1MB.)

I do have seven more movies (16MB ATR images) in my collection, six of them originally done for the MyIDE, but I do not have any viewers for them that could be used with AVG or Sub cart. If someone is interested I could nevertheless post them here, so someone could create viewers for them in TB XL (or any other language) similar to the ones used in 3Sat and Yar...

3SAT_TV.zip BADAPL.zip YAR_MOV.zip

• Like 2

On 9/30/2024 at 1:25 AM, Tillek said:

ASCII "Bad Apple"?  Now that's something I need to see. :)

Simply download it - it is self-running as an autorun file. It will load from any ATR device that has enough space to fit (comes on a 16MB MyDOS ATR, allthough 8MB would be enough). Just for fun I loaded it from a SIO2SD with 1x SIO (19k2 Baud) and it worked, but extremely slow. Then I added an ultraspeed driver for 3x SIO and it did run a little bit better/faster, but still too slow. Nowadays I can run it from my Subcart via PBI and it runs fast enough for a nice ASCII animation.

But as said before it has a small bug, if you are using a real Atari, you can see some "strange stripes" on top and bottom of the screen and quite some flicker as if Antic was not initialized properly (but since I am no programmer and have no knowledge, it might be something completely different). Hopefully someone can correct/fix this. One can also run the animation under Altirra or Atari 800/Win/Plus and errmm, the emulators do not show the strange stripes on top+bottom of the screen (but you will see the high flicker).

Bad_Apple_ASCII.jpg

How about the following idea for AVG and Sub cart owners:

- if the ATR image (e.g. large ATR image with 16MB size) is renamed from *.ATR to either *.PBI or *.ECI then the AVG and Sub cart will automatically load it via PBI/ECI (provided that the PBI/ECI cable is available and plugged-in)...

- the user can then rename any ATR he wishes to load as fast as possible with PBI/ECI

(provided that the ATR works via PBI/ECI and does NOT use fast or custom SIO routines, i.e. test before-hand)

Just an idea.