IGNORED

SDRIVE-MAX multiple problems

Mattlyme

Ohh where to start, Not a beginner here, but new to sdrive.

Problem 1

I have a working UNO with a display that works. After flashing, I get the calibrate screen, calibrates fine. Sdrive boots, then I have no touch response, nothing. When the display goes to screensaver I can exit by touching the screen.

Problem 2

After first boot I get the SIO timeout error, and I should because it's not hooked up. When hooked up I don't get D0 to load on the computer. I used to, but not anymore, I have formatted the SD and added the files multiple times, but I can never get it to load again.

I Have used 4 different UNO's 2 of them brand new, 3rd known good.

I have used 2 different displays, assumed working as the touchscreen calibrates.

Thoughts?   HELP!!!!

Usually it's down to the display driver, some work to a degree, but you need to get the right one for your display,

I've had them do the calibrate, but then not work correctly.

There's usually several display drivers in the download, try each one and see if it gets any better.

Tried them all, some are mirrored, some work, but none work with the touch. Forgetting about the touch part, it defaults to D0 so I should still get the menu on the Atari. I'm only using 3 wires so this should be straight forward.

1 wire from A5

1 from Tx

1 from Rx

Power is supplied from barrel plug not USB

Capture.JPG

If the 800XL booted previously, it's much more likely to be a problem with your SDrives. Have you formatted with FAT32, and how large is the SD-card? Can you upload photos showing the boards (PCBs)?

Edited by E474

3 hours ago, Stefan Both said:

Wasn't there 2 hex files to transfer ?

first flash

flash:w:eeprom_writer.hex

have you done that?

Stefan 

Flash 2 files, then SD gets 1 file. Did that. It worked for 3 boots then I rewired the cable (yes it is correct after checking a million times) I might have flashed it again. I think I just had the right combination of UNO's, flash files, ATR and displays.

1 hour ago, TGB1718 said:

PIA certainly looks a possibility, but I would first check all the solder joints on the SIO port just in case

any are cracked etc.

Just re-flowed the SIO port, Pokey and the PIA Chip. Nothing. If you look back I did have this working as I was building an s-drive max. Then it quit. I bought the Fuginet to test if the port is truly bad.

update

PIA chip is not bad, replaced it tonight with the same result. In search of a POKEY chip next. I read somewhere that a Ballblazer cart would have a POKEY in it so I bought one off feeBay.

The cart works but I don't think the chip inside is any version of POKEY the number is C05564-001

Yes / NO?

36 minutes ago, Mattlyme said:

update

PIA chip is not bad, replaced it tonight with the same result. In search of a POKEY chip next. I read somewhere that a Ballblazer cart would have a POKEY in it so I bought one off feeBay.

The cart works but I don't think the chip inside is any version of POKEY the number is C05564-001

Yes / NO?

The Pokey chip is actually in the 7800 version of Ballblazer, not the 8 bit one.

3 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

The one you want is BallBlazer 7800 cartridge

it has a Pokey in it. The 5200 has a Pokey in the machine itself.

Thank you for that, I just canceled the order, I work for a music and games company, I digging through scrap boards looking for one. Does anyone have a list of coinop games that had this chip in it?

@Mattlyme @Mattlyme

Pokeys were in a ton of coin op machine, some had 2 or 4 of them and some have quad pokey LSI chips too

The POKEY chip, its dual, and quad-core versions were used in

Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Millipede, Missile Command, Asteroids Deluxe, Gauntlet

Firefox, Return of the Jedi, I Robot, and Major Havoc

Edited by _The Doctor__

Not a complete list but according to Wikipedia:

POKEY chips are used for audio in many arcade video games of the 1980s including Centipede, Missile Command, Asteroids Deluxe, and Gauntlet.

Some of them also use the mythical "quad" pokey chip. Basically four Pokey chips in one package. They are: Firefox, Return of the Jedi, I, Robot, and Major Havoc

1 minute ago, scorpio_ny said:

Not a complete list but according to Wikipedia:

POKEY chips are used for audio in many arcade video games of the 1980s including Centipede, Missile Command, Asteroids Deluxe, and Gauntlet.

Some of them also use the mythical "quad" pokey chip. Basically four Pokey chips in one package. They are: Firefox, Return of the Jedi, I, Robot, and Major Havoc

If I don't find one local, would I be better to buy the reproduction, or the 7800 cart? There is someone selling an alternative modern FPGA replacement.

https://paradisearcadeshop.com/products/pokeyone-v2-fpga-atari-pokey-replacement