IGNORED

HAVO - (Micro) HDMI Atari Video Output - Coming to market in the fall of 2023

HAVO - (Micro) HDMI Atari Video Output - the project is already in the testing phase. HDMI licensing issues have been secured. The product will be available in the fall of 2023.

image.thumb.png.c93557374b935e0effd5fb553c754320.png

More information is planned to be presented in the second half of September 2023.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Piotr D. Kaczorowski said:

HAVO - (Micro) HDMI Atari Video Output - the project is already in the testing phase. HDMI licensing issues have been secured. The product will be available in the fall of 2023.

image.thumb.png.c93557374b935e0effd5fb553c754320.png

More information is planned to be presented in the second half of September 2023.

Looking forward to that... :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Geister said:

I understand that HDMI will have those resolutions, but will the Atari be able to individually address those resolutions or is it just a upscaler?

The SAVO and HAVO cards are compatible with the RGB signal from VBXE. The VBXE card, as the standard video for modern Atari, is required.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Piotr D. Kaczorowski said:

The SAVO and HAVO cards are compatible with the RGB signal from VBXE. The VBXE card, as the standard video for modern Atari, is required.

Hearing this is motivation to resume my VBXE coding.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Geister said:

This may make the VBXE a more enticing option for me as I have heard that it wasn't very compatible with modern monitors.  An HDMI output should certainly be compatible.

Well, indeed, over the years VBXE was perceived more as a card for Atari for the European market, since it was suggested to connect monitors and televisions with Euro SCART. What's more, no other proposition was presented other than cutting the casing. That changed in December 2022 when the SAVO board - (Sega) Saturn Atari Video Output, developed by me, appeared on the market.

• Like 1

Short update regarding the product specification:

1. HAVO will consist of two boards. One will be mounted in the computer, and the other will be a daughter board plugged into the first board. In this way, it will be possible to upgrade to the next version of the board without desoldering the entire assembly from the main Atari board.
  2. Two modules will be available for HAVO: one basic/budget (classic) and the other advanced (pro).
  3. The PRO version will include very fast converters, capable of full-frame image processing, so that demos containing fast scrolls are also adequately represented.
  4. The PRO version will also have a post-processing module, switchable from the Atari level, which will allow operation in several modes: off, with enabled PAL Blending, with enabled NTSC Artifacting for Atari 400/800, with enabled NTSC Artifacting for Atari XL/XE.
  5. Both boards will have special circuits that eliminate noise from the Atari as well as secondary noise from the cables to the TV/monitor (voltage regulators, filters, and galvanic isolation).
  6. The boards will include audio mixers (GTIA, SIO, EXT AUDIO, COVOX + STEREO POKEY) and conversion to digital form, which will go into the HDMI port.
  • Like 5

53 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

This is sounding better by the day. Do you have an expected price range for the basic and pro models, or is it still too early for that, or did I miss it altogether?

Thanks for all the information. We're waiting anxiously.

1. Certainly, it's worth mentioning that the price will take into account three factors: components, time-consuming assembly, and of course the R&D process associated with Intellectual Property.
  2. Let's spark our imagination... For instance, let it be....  $59 - BASIC, and $89 - PRO  :)    ... however, these are not the final prices.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Piotr D. Kaczorowski said:

1. Certainly, it's worth mentioning that the price will take into account three factors: components, time-consuming assembly, and of course the R&D process associated with Intellectual Property.
  2. Let's spark our imagination... For instance, let it be....  $59 - BASIC, and $89 - PRO  :)    ... however, these are not the final prices.

Well, of course things could change, but if that's the ballpark,  those seem like pretty darned good prices to me.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2023 at 9:29 AM, Piotr D. Kaczorowski said:

Would that be the possible final price for the complete package, or do we need to purchase a VBXE separately as well?

13 minutes ago, Havok69 said:

Would that be the possible final price for the complete package, or do we need to purchase a VBXE separately as well?

The HAVO is a separate add-on for VBXE that includes an upscaling module and an RGB-to-digital video converter. It's akin to having a mini RetroTink built into the Atari.

I've noticed that the current price of VBXE is approximately 99 USD.  I believe HAVO could be bundled with VBXE as a set.

Edited by Piotr D. Kaczorowski