IGNORED

Vintage hardware and repair skills

jhd

One of the reasons that I do not collect vintage computer hardware is my inability to make repairs. I do not own a soldering iron, much less a multimeter, and I have no space to set-up a workbench even if I did. If something does not work, I have no option but to pass it along to a thrift shop as I am unable to execute the repairs myself, and there is nobody around here who operates such a business. Shipping hardware long-distances across an international border quickly exceeds the value of the item itself. 

I see many posts from individuals in a similar situation who have spent significant money to purchase vintage hardware that needs repairs that they are incapable of doing themselves.

Has anyone else chosen to not collect something just because of the repair issue?

4 hours ago, jhd said:

Has anyone else chosen to not collect something just because of the repair issue?

For some, this would, or should, be a very good reason not to get into legacy hardware.  Sometimes, the best game move is not to play.

The decision should also take into account the availability of replacement parts or systems, or people who can make repairs.  For instance, while trending a little more on the expensive side, there are plenty of Commodore 64 and TI-99/4A systems to go around.  Parts for the former are easy to get in modern equivalents.  For the latter, you will rely upon the existing community of people who can do the repairs or have or know how to get parts.

Emulation may be in the cards for some.  Not the full experience, of course, but much more reliable.  People like myself accepted long ago that owning such equipment means repairs will be necessary at some point, even more so with age.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

While I can solder and make simple repairs, soldering has never been something I got good or great at. I don't know what it is...I guess I have solderer's block!

That said, I am not the best at any major vintage computer repair. I would need outside help. BUT, smaller repairs and troubleshooting to find out what needs to be repaired I have a good knack for.

The only thing that has not stopped me from collecting the hardware is the fact that I have such nostalgia for it. I grew up with these things and in some way I feel I should be entitled to play with working vintage memories in my old age!

Just try to buy hardware from good sources like people that have good reputations right here on AA. Got a lot of great condition working machines right on this site over the years in the marketplace....sold a lot too ;) 

Not saying vintage hardware can't fail at any time, but I bet you computers sold here in our circles will last a bit longer than something found on say Craigslist or Ebay. 

And, when that unfortunate time comes that there is something that you really can't repair on you own (although you should do the research, maybe you CAN!) well, bite the bullet and get some help. I have a "tested for power only" C64 coming tomorrow from someone for example. I didn't pay much and I'll be shocked if it is 100% functional. If it isn't I will do my best to diagnose and fix. If I can't, I'll be reaching out to Ray Carlsen! In the end it is all about if it is worth the time and money to you. It is to me.