IGNORED

600XL factory bodge/fix?

deffroe

7 hours ago, deffroe said:

So got an svideo signal but it's a bit rough, photos attached of mod, cable and screen quality.

I have no way to explain how or why, but that looks to me more like composite video. Even with a cheap s-video cable, you should get a much cleaner image than that after removing C109.

57 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

I have no way to explain how or why, but that looks to me more like composite video. Even with a cheap s-video cable, you should get a much cleaner image than that after removing C109.

Had a check of RF and composite and they are still the same good quality image and do seem sharper after removing c109.

I've attached samples of each video source, of the svideo ignore the diagonal banding as it's not visible to the eye but if you look closely you can see a horizontal band, these are think and rolling and to the eye the image is much darker.

To see such a difference I am in agreement with others that the svideo cable is the issue.

IMG_20230827_184707.jpg

IMG_20230827_185227.jpg

IMG_20230827_184801.jpg

1 hour ago, Beeblebrox said:

Can you let me know where you sourced your shielded cable from? (I assume it's single shielded?)

I'm hoping it's shielded...

A high quality video lead with metal S-VHS 

Video plugs and gold plated contacts. 

Manufactured from fully shielded high definition 

cable with pure copper conductors

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204051452806?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=XOTie9CeRIK&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=R9FyCcURRKi&var=504471637915&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Screenshot_2023-08-27-18-58-37-826-edit_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Edited by deffroe

10 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Wierd. S-video and Composite look swapped to me, image quality-wise.

Had a play with camera settings on my phone to replicate closer what I see on screen with svideo.  Again, ignore the diagonal lines, they are not visible(most of the time) but you can see the horizontal band rolling and the dark dingey colouring.

11 minutes ago, deffroe said:

Given a clean up, case and keyboard have come up ok, but badge, cartridge flap and function keys need a bit more tlc.

IMG_20230830_112955.jpg

I've had surprising success in the sunshine taking the off-yellow colour of the casing down a little and getting back as much as I can to the original XL light cream colour. It takes a few days in direct sunshine but luckly we've had this in the UK of late.

It's not the same as retrobriting, but considering just how yellow some of my XL casings have been, and some XEs (especially the keyboards), it's better than nothing.

If I have time I'll post a few before and after pics. Got some in the patio as we speak. :)

It has to be direct sunshine outside btw.

Edited by Beeblebrox

9 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

I've had surprising success in the sunshine taking the off-yellow colour of the casing down a little and getting back as much as I can to the original XL light cream colour. It takes a few days in direct sunshine but luckly we've had this in the UK of late.

It's not the same as retrobriting, but considering just how yellow some of my XL casings have been, and some XEs (especially the keyboards), it's better than nothing.

If I have time I'll post a few before and after pics. Got some in the patio as we speak. :)

It has to be direct sunshine outside btw.

Yeah I've tried 'sunbrighting' and does give better results than expected but like you say, needs lots of time.  I also do the peroxide cream dilution method, last time I did this I was happy with the results after about 40 mins, although this needs to be completely rinsed off before reassemble.

5 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

better than some but it's missing the outer shield unless you went to deep and cut it off with the insulation

No deep cut, that is the make up of the cable...and that is paper and string.  Will be later on in the week or weekend that I will get time to make up the cable.

@deffroeSo it's single shielded rather than double shielded. 

Will be interesting to see your results. 

Just out of interest what length of cable are you going for? 1.5m or 2m+? 

In a related note it's good news that Canadian based hercules workshop (who make the excellent S-video double shielded cables), are still trading. 

https://www.herculesworkshop.net/H0A5PSR.html