IGNORED

Is it possible to add controller ports to a 2 controller port 5200?

Snowbound1996

I know there's a bunch of controller adapters for the 5200 that let you use Genesis and 2600 controllers on the 5200, but is there an adapter that just adds 2 extra controller ports for 4 player support? The reason why I ask is that I recently stumbled upon a *really* interesting looking 5200 with a custom colour design on it, but it's a 2 port mode, and I'd love to play it with friends over. 

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

7 hours ago, Snowbound1996 said:

I know there's a bunch of controller adapters for the 5200 that let you use Genesis and 2600 controllers on the 5200, but is there an adapter that just adds 2 extra controller ports for 4 player support? The reason why I ask is that I recently stumbled upon a *really* interesting looking 5200 with a custom colour design on it, but it's a 2 port mode, and I'd love to play it with friends over. 

Not that I'm aware of.  There isn't a lot of call for them because 4-port models are fairly readily available.

Swapping a 4-port board into the case you're looking at should be relatively straightforward, however.

7 hours ago, Snowbound1996 said:

If you weren't aware, the case shells between the 2 and 4 port aren't really that different. What is different is that on the 2 port models, the front plastic bezel that goes over the front, was molded to hide the 2 extra port opening that the 4 ports have. So my point is that you can swap that out to a degree but I've honestly never been successful at removing the front bezel without it snapping.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Snowbound1996 said:

So are those port openings still there? And would they work if you could plug a controller into them?

The openings in the case for the ports are still there, but there's nowhere on the PCB to solder the controller jacks to and not all of the hardware needed for the system to be able to use the sticks is present.  You'd also need to install the 4-port OS ROM.  This is where you'd be better off picking up a 4-port and transplanting it.

image.thumb.png.57a5037d9c42452d03e3ea16bccbfda7.pngimage.thumb.png.a86f93555259fd67ae19de5d694ad1da.png

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Snowbound1996 said:

So are those port openings still there? And would they work if you could plug a controller into them?

Like @x=usr(1536) stated, there isn't where to install the ports to. I just meant that the case shells themselves are basically the same and that the shells still have the holes for the other 2 ports but the plastic bezel covers the openings on the 2 port. The mainboard is designed differently to only address 2 ports and is missing the extra logic needed to add the other 2 back in nor anywhere easy to just shoehorn that in.

• Like 1