IGNORED

Wico joysticks, what makes them better.

Zeus

I like the joypads especially for games like pacman. I am just getting into thrust+ platnum and I couldn't see playing that game (or any other for that fact) with a joystick. Joysticks are an archaic form of controlling which are very unprecice, and require more movement than is required.

Why do you think they stopped making joysticks???? :ponder:

THEY SUCK!!

I like the joypads especially for games like pacman. I am just getting into thrust+ platnum and I couldn't see playing that game (or any other for that fact) with a joystick. Joysticks are an archaic form of controlling which are very unprecice, and require more movement than is required.

Well, I completely suck at Thrust when using anything else than my favourite Competition Pro joystick.

I suppose it is just the controller you are used to.

Why do you think they stopped making joysticks???? :ponder:  

THEY SUCK!!

Actually, joysticks are still made.

They aren't the PACK-IN they're larger and more expensive.

Why do you think arcade machines still have joysticks(the SNES arcade system excepted)? Or why every street fighter fan buys a joystick for all those insane stick-wiggle moves?

A pad can't be maneuvered as precisely or swiftly.

This is determined from side-by-side comparisons with my NES(stock gamepad and NES Advantage joystick), Dreamcast(stock gamepad and Enforcer(AKA cheap shit) joystick, followed by a Dragoncast(AKAkind of nice Hong kong import) after the Enforcer's unfortunate death by falling), and PlayStation(stock pad, Dual Impact, Viper, and a stick from Blaze which I've forgotten the name of).

In any game requiring speed, dexterity, and precision on the directionals, the joystick ALWAYS offers the higher score, or whatever means of measuring performance the game offers.

Now if only I could persuade manufacturers to make right-handed sticks.

What the hell are you talking about, you haven't ever played Mortal Kombat? you couldn't keep combos going with a bulky joystick. I know that for a fact. If you forget about the other buttons to push. And the only reason arcades use joystics is because they are attached to something that wheighs 500 pounds. and it is more ergonomical when standing up.

It is all up to personal preference, and nothing you say can change the way I think. :P

JOYPADS FOR LIFE!!!!

DOWN WITH JOYSTICKS!!!!

There is actually a mod for a joystick that I seen one time (just looked for it again and can't find it) it told you how to open your joystick and switch a couple of the wires around so you could have the button on the right hand side.

What the hell are you talking about, you haven't ever played Mortal Kombat? you couldn't keep combos going with a bulky joystick.

Well, given my combos were always the infinite juggle, which involved slapping one button really fast...

Let's just say that a joystick would've been useful since I wouldn't have to slap the pad down on the table to get the right angle for rapid-fire.

And the only reason arcades use joystics is because they are attached to something that wheighs 500 pounds.

There's alternatives. Ask Nintendo. :)

and it is more ergonomical when standing up.

I find that the ergonomic-ness of a gamepad doesn't really change much with play position.

I usually sit down in front of a coffee table with my home stick resting on it.

It is all up to personal preference, and nothing you say can change the way I think.   :P

Okay, but I did a scientific test.

JOYPADS FOR LIFE!!!!

DOWN WITH JOYSTICKS!!!!

Get the rope, boys.

There is actually a mod for a joystick that I seen one time (just looked for it again and can't find it) it told you how to open your joystick and switch a couple of the wires around so you could have the button on the right hand side.

Yah. But that requires me doing some soldering.

I figure at that point I may as well buy a bunch of Happ parts and some plywood. :)

Seriously, most sticks have an angled surface. They aren't very comfortable to use upside down.

I know I am going against everybodys beliefs by saying joysticks are bad. But I don't care. What is this you are talking about doing scientific tests on controllers :roll: , whatever. It is all up to what feels good in your hand. And I am also aware of the MAME Joytick things (huge monstrosities) But I will still NEVER give up my joypad NES 2600 controllers. never :x :twisted:

I figure at that point I may as well buy a bunch of Happ parts and some plywood. :)

Seriously, most sticks have an angled surface. They aren't very comfortable to use upside down.

No Soldering. If you are doing it to an atari joystick. They have the little push on connectors inside. All you would have to do to switch an atari one is to just pull a couple wires and switch them. (I wish I could find that mod) I have looked for about 10 minutes for it and still cant find it.

I know I am going against everybodys beliefs by saying joysticks are bad. But I don't care. What is this you are talking about doing scientific tests on controllers :roll: , whatever.

Hey, I'm just saying that I actually tested to see what works better.

No Soldering. If you are doing it to an atari joystick. They have the little push on connectors inside. All you would have to do to switch an atari one is to just pull a couple wires and switch them. (I wish I could find that mod) I have looked for about 10 minutes for it and still cant find it.

But the Atari sticks are ALREADY right-handed.

Are there any digital joysticks being sold today that use leaf switches?

I don't think so unless it's a horribly expensive MAME deal.

The ones I see almost universally use clicky microswitches.

Even arcade joysticks are using microswitches a lot these days. They just don't have the same feal as leaf-switch joysticks.

I'm really grateful that Wico was able to offer something like those original sticks at a reasonable mainstream consumer pricepoint. There is nothing like it these days and I wish there were.

So what manufacturers were you talking about persuading to make right handed sticks? If they in your words already right handed.

(I thought you meant left-handed) Fire button on the right

I meant a right-handed joystick for a NES or later system.

There were a few ambidextrious sticks for the NES, and I have a right-handed Master System stick, but most joystick manufacturers assume directionals belong on the left, where most people aren't as coordinated.

I've actually had a left-handed person ask how any right-handed people ever get good at games with those controllers.

mos6507: Nope. All microswitched. Been that way for ages, even in arcades.