tape based type-in spreadsheet basic program for Atari 600XL or 800XL

newTIboyRob

@newTIboyRob

Because the have different screen actions

they are different key combinations

esc clear

esc control clear

esc shift clear

also, hitting esc key twice yields esc symbol then your key combo is entered for those instances

Edited by _The Doctor__

oh, so, when I am typing in that line with the shaded arrow, i still type it in with just the Esc key and arrow as I have been doing just now (not using the inverse key like you said).... with the concept that when the program is run, the user would have to first press the Esc key with the up arrow key in order to perform the function, which, in the program line of the pdf is that shaded arrow?

No, you are putting screen commands in, they will execute when the program runs.

the bent arrow may clear the screen,

the individual arrows may show the person to press the arrows

it depends on the escape sequence

one esc and then the special character combo will execute during run

two esc and then the special character may just show the graphic representation so a person knows to press the arrow keys to move around. If the escape sequence were a single it would move the cursor around the screen.

Edited by _The Doctor__

I suppose this is harder to describe if you don't have the pdf up. Are you able to see the lines in question?  For example line 414 has the shaded arrow, and that is what I am trying to achieve while still typing that line now.

And also note the arrows are different within the last few lines of the program.

Edited by newTIboyRob

It's not hard at all, if you want to be told what each combination is there is a complete section on it in the BASIC manuals.

I have the PDF up and I sincerely already knew what to expect, as I have used BASIC for many decades, as well as 6502 ML.

If I were sitting in front of the Atari at this moment, I would type it in without thinking at all about it.

Sitting on a PC keyboard typing it on the forum isn't quite the same.

The other thing I normally do is to POKE 82,0 first thing as I get to BASIC, It allows me to type more in per BASIC line.

Edited by _The Doctor__

2 minutes ago, newTIboyRob said:

Esc 2 didn't do anything (I also tried Esc Cntrl 2)

Escape key hold control press 2 sure will do something

and pressing control 2 without an escape first certainly will buzz

make sure you didn't press the inverse or caps key etc.

CONTROL key held and press 2 will buzz immediate mode

ESC key control held and press 2 will give inverse bent arrow and at run time will buzz when that line executes

Edited by _The Doctor__

ohhhhh ... I was holding down the Escape key.  You just press that key ONCE and then rather quickly press but hold contrl 2 and NOW I see the bent upwards left arrow is there.  C'mon, that is/was tricky for someone who doesn't have your decades of experience in basic!   :)

So the final question I guess is in line 460, as that one is not shaded in. How do I achieve that?  Is that the same as the standard Escape Control up arrow or no?

Edited by newTIboyRob

normal bent arrow is clear screen

inverse bent arrow is buzzer

go back and read you will see pressing and holding was only mentioned for control key not escape key

so once again

escape key hold control and press clear

or

escape key hold shift and press clear.

that gets you normal bent arrow for clear screen

the only other notation would be escape key control key help press (whatever key)

Edited by _The Doctor__

Correct, but you see how in the last line of the program there are both kinds of arrows?  I understand how to get the shaded one in now while typing in that line, but what I am asking is... is that plain arrow towards the end a simple Esc press once then hold and press Cntrl 2 and the Up arrow, while typing in this line, I mean to have that appear in the program line before pressing enter?

Edited by newTIboyRob

I did read.

When I press Esc Cntrl 2, I get what looks like a shaded in arrow on screen.  But... if I did that same procedure while typing the last line in, I would not get a non-shaded arrow.  Herein lies the confusion.

Unless what we are saying is that I would type that same way again with the Esc Cntrl 2,  but when the program is run, it will actually do that command  (thus both of my Esc Cntrl 2, while typing in the line will both appear on my screen as the same looking bent shaded in upwards arrow.  If that's not it, I just don't get it....yet.

you need to do them differently on the last line, first one is the buzzer combo second one is the clear combo you can do both on the same line, just do the escape control held 2 on the first one and then do escape control held clear on the second one.

😕

Edited by _The Doctor__

Oh Doc, my apologies... I actually glanced over, what, ironically, was what caused my confusion... I simply missed it.  It was here, and I missed it with all the back and forth:

24 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

normal bent arrow is clear screen

inverse bent arrow is buzzer

go back and read you will see pressing and holding was only mentioned for control key not escape key

so once again

escape key hold control and press clear

or

escape key hold shift and press clear.

that gets you normal bent arrow for clear screen

the only other notation would be escape key control key help press (whatever key)

And your last post summed it all up.... I think I have it now, and, again, sorry for that confusion on my part!  (Feeling dumb and embarrassed on this end, but now I see the light with all that.)

Just wondering also... would you say that the symbol at the end of line 276 is a simple dash then with the left arrow key?

Edited by newTIboyRob