IGNORED

tape based type-in spreadsheet basic program for Atari 600XL or 800XL

newTIboyRob

On 9/24/2023 at 1:21 PM, TGB1718 said:

I've had nothing but trouble with many different types of SIO2PC USB devices, they are just so flakey.

I bought a Sparkfun board to build mine with and have been using it for about 12 years with no problems at all.

[Edit]

I used to own an Atarimax SIO2PC USB device too, and it worked great; never had an issue with it either.

• Like 1

I bought this FTDI interface from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N4MCS1A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 With some prepinned wires and a micro USB cable I was able to patch up a connection to a laptop with Respct loaded on it and could reliably load software from the laptop.  The cost of the FTDI board is currently $13.95 but you can find better deals.

This offering from another vendor includes the patch cables and mini usb cables along with the FTDI for only $9.99.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CCF3C1YF/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B0CCF3C1YF&pd_rd_w=tQJxR&content-id=amzn1.sym.f734d1a2-0bf9-4a26-ad34-2e1b969a5a75&pf_rd_p=f734d1a2-0bf9-4a26-ad34-2e1b969a5a75&pf_rd_r=JA1AXQ4NFVWTX0TE4GW1&pd_rd_wg=jY8XG&pd_rd_r=9378ed09-6247-48e2-82d6-01fe0d37ca08&s=pc&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw

Hi!

10 hours ago, Larry said:

@dmsc

"About the long lines, those are because the program that you typed is not the "original" one, it is recovered from a version that was protected, with all the variable names erased. So, to un-protect it, the variables were replaced by V1 to V99, making some of the names bigger."

Could you explain how this works?  The only thing I can think of is that the original variables are still in the Variable Name Table, and the new ones were added, making it longer. (?)

No, the BAS file that we got has the variable-name-table  cleared to all EOL ($9B), so it is not possible to recall the original names, only that there are 118 variables.

This was a common "protection" trick BITD, as this makes the program harder to understand. Also, the program has an invalid last statement, this means that after a LOAD, Atari BASIC hangs - you can only RUN it directly.

Have Fun!

@dmsc  ... ahhh, now we're getting somewhere. Your last post to me was VERY very telling and intriguing. I'm just curious, even after the fact here...

So then, regarding the basic program I typed in on this thread, is it possible, maybe even likely now, that since it wasn't possible to recall the original names but only that there are 118 variables in this BITD common protection trick, that this would have not only made the program harder to understand, but perhaps it made it even only partially usuable, as significant/vital data may have been intentionally and actually removed/omitted/withheld?  I ask because I typed that printed code in verbatim, found and fixed just a few typos, and still, even after all that, those calculations in the program did not and would not work in any way, shape, or form like they did easily in the cassette file I loaded.  Your response here will speak volumes to my struggle with this program.

Also... since the main program was only able to be load and run due to the BASIC hang, is it possible even that the entered spreadsheet data itself wasn't even able to be saved to tape?  The data was not saving smoothly, in one continuous save cycle to the 410, rather in bits and bobs, and I'll never know if the tape eating at that very moment was just coincidental, or if it was caused by the unneeded stress put on the 410's motor caused by the program flaws. In other words, maybe the 410 just was going to die there anyway, or maybe it had sort of a "head start" so to speak in dying, due to that damn program.  Either way, I'll never know, but that was a super ironic time for its death!

Edited by newTIboyRob

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

If you were planning to write one from scratch you would likely need this thing to overlay gr.0 text in gr.8 (or gr24)

The code is from "BASIC TurboCharger - Program Disk (S2).atr" but uses a ASM routine in basic I set it to load Turbo Basic and then loads Autorun.bas which has a demo of five letter A's chr 65 on gr.8 screen

aMy Dos 4.53 16MB - work disk.atr

Edited by Ray Gillman