IGNORED

Atari acquires AtariAge

Andrew Davie

31 minutes ago, Pitfall Harry said:

I can't believe it either. What games are you talking about?

-Ben

He's talking about games that violate copyright laws, that are obvious clones or other trademark infringements.  Halo 2600, Zippy the Porcupine, and Galagon are the most obvious that I remember.  Atari doesn't have the resources to fight with Microsoft, Sega, and Namco.  That would just be e death sentence for them.

The games themselves were very cool and the programmers very talented for doing what they did, however when there is questionable content that could be perceived as an infringement, that just can't be allowed by a corporate entity (Atari).  In Ataris' case, there is too much to lose by being so close to a violation.  Al on the other hand could do it at just the risk of a cease and desist order.

• Like 4

On 7/21/2024 at 7:46 AM, Neon Wraith said:

He's talking about games that violate copyright laws, that are obvious clones or other trademark infringements.  Halo 2600, Zippy the Porcupine, and Galagon are the most obvious that I remember.  Atari doesn't have the resources to fight with Microsoft, Sega, and Namco.  That would just be e death sentence for them.

The games themselves were very cool and the programmers very talented for doing what they did, however when there is questionable content that could be perceived as an infringement, that just can't be allowed by a corporate entity (Atari).  In Ataris' case, there is too much to lose by being so close to a violation.  Al on the other hand could do it at just the risk of a cease and desist order.

I thought Halo 2600 was licensed. At least the original release. There's a thread around here somewhere (unless the dev was a hoaxer).

18 minutes ago, BigO said:

I thought Halo 2600 was licensed. At least the original release. There's a thread around here somewhere (unless the dev was a hoaxer).

There's no hoax.  Ed Fries was the VP of gaming at Microsoft and decided to do a demake of HALO for the 2600.  He had a handshake agreement with MS about it.

• Like 2

On 7/21/2024 at 10:46 AM, Neon Wraith said:

Not sure about Halo 2600  there might be other factors involved in terms on no longer being sold.   I do believe Ed Fries got all the proper permissions in order from both Bungie and his former employer MS before developing the game.   

4 hours ago, BillDMatt said:

Not sure about Halo 2600  there might be other factors involved in terms on no longer being sold.   I do believe Ed Fries got all the proper permissions in order from both Bungie and his former employer MS before developing the game.   

Well, maybe @TrogdarRobusto or @Albert could shed more light on that particular one.  I don't have access to the government surveillance of Trogdar and Albert's homes or recordings of the wire taps.  I suppose we'll just have to speculate until one of them speaks as to why.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Neon Wraith said:

I don't have access to the government surveillance of Trogdar and Albert's homes or recordings of the wire taps.

I don't have the government ones, but the recordings from foreign surveillance are mostly useless, almost all of them involve cats.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4