IGNORED

Pac-Man - Hi-Res Graphics

MrFish

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

Best writeup I've ever seen done was the Pac Man Dossier.  Pretty sure it's offline now, but I saved it.

PacMan Dossier.zip 940.12 kB · 8 downloads

Thanks. I think I'd been to that page and perused before.

Too bad some of the links in the "References and Further Reading" section are dead now.

5 hours ago, Mark loves Stella said:

I just thought to mention that the ZX Spectrum has a Pac Man arcade that uses the original Pac Man roms and runs on a 128k Speccy. https://simonowen.com/spectrum/pacemuzx/ 

Nice!

Makes sense for the Spectrum, with it's Z80.

The color version looks a bit, rough, as expected. Black & white is good.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Mark loves Stella said:

I just thought to mention that the ZX Spectrum has a Pac Man arcade that uses the original Pac Man roms and runs on a 128k Speccy.

16 hours ago, MrFish said:

Makes sense for the Spectrum, with it's Z80.

The Colecovision uses a Z80 too. I don't think the Pac-Man Collection for it is an emulator, but I know the source code (Pac-Man & Ms. Pac-Man) was used for making it. So, it's a very accurate version. It uses the same scaling as the ZX version -- (6/8 - 3/4) 186 pixel high maze.

You can play it here:

https://archive.org/details/pacman_coleco

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/13/2023 at 3:25 PM, MrFish said:

So, yeah, this would be the way to go for ghost points. The 2 PMG's are only needed for 1600 points.

pacpoints.thumb.png.b23a83de088af29a0054d454bbd3d0d6.png

I always dreamed of that! congratulations for the great initiative! Just out of curiosity, what would it look like in a white background and black pixels format?

1 hour ago, j1mp4ck said:

I always dreamed of that! congratulations for the great initiative!

Yeah, I think most people have always wanted a better Pac-Man. Although, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I think the Super Pac-Man engine for the Atari 8-bits has the potential for producing a very good Pac-Man too. I'll probably work on some compatible graphics for that sometime too (in fact, I've already started some with it).

1 hour ago, j1mp4ck said:

Just out of curiosity, what would it look like in a white background and black pixels format?

I already demonstrated the idea in this post: Dark on light.

• Thanks 1

On 9/15/2023 at 3:09 AM, Mark loves Stella said:

I just thought to mention that the ZX Spectrum has a Pac Man arcade that uses the original Pac Man roms and runs on a 128k Speccy. https://simonowen.com/spectrum/pacemuzx/ 

pacstart.png

pacmenu.png

Ooohh just look at that near perfect colour clash perfection of the ZX spectrum, nothing else compares. :D 

That being said, in later days it paved the way for some really clever programming to really make use of the 2 colours per 8x8 tile and produce some beautiful looking games.

Anyways, as you were, this is a Atari Chat Room :P 

• Haha 2