IGNORED

Another eye-melting SNES mockup

And I'll just post this again on its own, because I think it's the key here:

What I personally believe we need to keep repeating in the back of our minds here every time one of our masters speak is where are any SNES-related games, demos, tools, developer guides, even fan sites, YouTube videos, or whatever SNES-relevant content created by certain people who have positioned themselves as authorities on everything that is and is not allowed to be considered as valid contributions or even discussed in relation to SNES development in this SNES sub-forum. . . .

Pay attention to the exact wording, and actively apply it each and every time they speak.

Or just let it sit there right in the back of your mind and do its own thing. :)

Just now, Kirk_Johnston said:

SNES-related games

What SNES games have you made?

1 minute ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

demos

What SNES demos have you made?

tools

What SNES tools have you made?

developer guides

What SNES developer guides have you made?

What actual contributions have you made to the SNES dev scene?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mittens0407 said:

Why Kirk thinks people disagree with him: the elitist SNES dev cult is conspiring against him due to his brave new ideas and ways of thinking

Why people actually disagree with him: his attitude towards any criticism regarding the validity of his mockups, his attitude, ect.

Hypocrisy! Aaah!

You know, it just dawned on me, I actually don't believe Inceptional/Kirk to be an actual individual.  Ever heard of this?? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem

The infinite monkey theorem states that a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type any given text, including the complete works of William Shakespeare. In fact, the monkey would almost surely type every possible finite text an infinite number of times. The theorem can be generalized to state that any sequence of events which has a non-zero probability of happening will almost certainly eventually occur, given unlimited time.

In this context, "almost surely" is a mathematical term meaning the event happens with probability 1, and the "monkey" is not an actual monkey, but a metaphor for an abstract device that produces an endless random sequence of letters and symbols. Variants of the theorem include multiple and even infinitely many typists, and the target text varies between an entire library and a single sentence.

I think could it be this easy?  We're trying so hard to figure it out, and they're staring us right in the face.

ChatGPT-as-a-Monkey-Room-2-1-Rosenberg.thumb.jpg.fbb9c16f4366589fd7206cb6db46be15.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

You know, it just dawned on me, I actually don't believe Inceptional/Kirk to be an actual individual.  Ever heard of this?? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem

The infinite monkey theorem states that a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type any given text, including the complete works of William Shakespeare. In fact, the monkey would almost surely type every possible finite text an infinite number of times. The theorem can be generalized to state that any sequence of events which has a non-zero probability of happening will almost certainly eventually occur, given unlimited time.

In this context, "almost surely" is a mathematical term meaning the event happens with probability 1, and the "monkey" is not an actual monkey, but a metaphor for an abstract device that produces an endless random sequence of letters and symbols. Variants of the theorem include multiple and even infinitely many typists, and the target text varies between an entire library and a single sentence.

I think could it be this easy?  We're trying so hard to figure it out, and they're staring us right in the face.

ChatGPT-as-a-Monkey-Room-2-1-Rosenberg.thumb.jpg.fbb9c16f4366589fd7206cb6db46be15.jpg

I dunno… I think the monkeys would have better people skills.

• Like 3

And again, we are not actively being ignored, just selectively read or none of those last few posts over some hours now would exist let alone be put out the way they are.

That list you want to point to isn't some dishonor, or a rap sheet of ignorant people who don't know what they're talking about.  It's a slow and actively growing list of people who were kind, patient, tolerant, and loved to discuss things.  But once it started to turn like bad milk towards disagreeing when stuff was pointed out would work to just tearing down the competition like some shitty old Sega TV ad against the SNES in some mirror world scope of deja vu -- people got blocked and blocked.  It's not a shame list, it's an honor roll of those who tried their best, then got tired of it, then called you out, and got blocked for being right.

I get you might have worked in the industry awhile ago, great, as did I, though I'm not a coder...and somehow that makes you or I special?  Nope.

Why don't YOU let that just let it sit there right in the back of your mind and do its own thing. :)

Interesting development that a particular member just popped into this thread for a brief moment to view it, one whom I have not seen comment on any of my previous threads to date [that I recall] but who I know of, assuming it's the same person, and that someone else may have alluded to the other day with one of their comments in particular. I wonder if that means what I think in terms of a likely future comment from them. If it does, it will certainly make me curious about potential conversations going on behind the scenes and outside this forum that are possibly affecting what is happening and being said by certain people in some of these threads. :-o

I put this here just because I hope it doesn't happen, in that they will hopefully not out of the blue suddenly make a comment that basically just specifically represents a direct challenge to what I said a moment ago about the people acting like our gatekeeping masters in this SNES sub-forum almost universally not having anything to actually show in relation to SNES-specific content while constantly trying to convince everyone I have nothing worthwhile to contribute because my actual SNES-related content doesn't run directly on SNES and wasn't coded by my very own hand, but it will be pretty disappointing if it does. It won't prove much mind you, other than the fact some people actually are actively contributing to the SNES in some relevant ways, which is great and exactly the kind of thing I love to see, but not those people I previously called out--until they prove otherwise. And I'm just making it clear it's now on my radar at least. Am I being paranoid, or is there a conspiracy. Dum dum duuum.

Edited by Kirk_Johnston
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

Interesting development that a particular member just popped into this thread for a brief moment to view it, one whom I have not seen comment on any of my previous threads to date but that I know of and that someone else may have alluded to the other day with one of their comments. I wonder if that means what I think in terms of a likely future comment from them. If it does, it will certainly make me curious about potential conversations going on behind the scenes and outside this forum that are possibly affecting what is happening and being said by certain people in these some of these threads. . . .

I put this here just because I hope it doesn't happen, in that they will not out of the blue suddenly make a comment to basically just specifically present a direct challenge to what I said a moment ago about the people acting like our gatekeeping masters almost universally not having anything to actually show in relation to SNES-specific content, but it will be pretty disappointing if it does. And I'm just making it clear it's now on my radar at least. Am I being paranoid, or is there a conspiracy. Dum dum duuum.

Always Sunny Reaction GIF

Podcast Preach GIF

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

Interesting development that a particular member just popped into this thread for a brief moment to view it, one whom I have not seen comment on any of my previous threads to date [that I recall] but who I know of, assuming it's the same person, and that someone else may have alluded to the other day with one of their comments in particular. I wonder if that means what I think in terms of a likely future comment from them. If it does, it will certainly make me curious about potential conversations going on behind the scenes and outside this forum that are possibly affecting what is happening and being said by certain people in some of these threads. :-o

I put this here just because I hope it doesn't happen, in that they will hopefully not out of the blue suddenly make a comment that basically just specifically represents a direct challenge to what I said a moment ago about the people acting like our gatekeeping masters in this SNES sub-forum almost universally not having anything to actually show in relation to SNES-specific content while constantly trying to convince everyone I have nothing worthwhile to contribute because my actual SNES-related content doesn't run directly on SNES and wasn't coded by my very own hand, but it will be pretty disappointing if it does. It won't prove much mind you, other than the fact some people actually are actively contributing to the SNES in some relevant ways, which is great and exactly the kind of thing I love to see, but not those people I previously called out--until they prove otherwise. And I'm just making it clear it's now on my radar at least. Am I being paranoid, or is there a conspiracy. Dum dum duuum.

Yeah, I've seen you studying the SNES for awhile now, making progress, asking me technical questions, but somehow that doesn't count to these gatekeepers, some of whom aren't even developers themselves.  Someone who just doesn't like you is always going to be able to find a way to explain down your achievements.  They can try to spin it as you just getting what you deserve, but they have no problem with judging another man's servant and accusing you of lying on your resume.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

Are you joking? What on earth are you talking about?

8 minutes ago, jeffythedragonslayer said:

Yeah, I've seen you studying the SNES for awhile now, making progress, asking me technical questions, but somehow that doesn't count to these gatekeepers, some of whom aren't even developers themselves.  Someone who just doesn't like you is always going to be able to find a way to explain down your achievements.  They can try to spin it as you just getting what you deserve, but they have no problem with judging another man's servant and accusing you of lying on your resume.

I feel I need a detailed flow chart to understand how you came to this conclusion. My head hurts. I'll just ask this; what are his achievements you speak of? What progress has he made? From my point of view, he's been doing the same Game Maker mockups for a while now.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mittens0407 said:

I feel I need a detailed flow chart to understand how you came to this conclusion. My head hurts. I'll just ask this; what are his achievements you speak of? What progress has he made? From my point of view, he's been doing the same Game Maker mockups for a while now.

Excellent questions on the SNES' technical limitations.

• Confused 3

32 minutes ago, jeffythedragonslayer said:

The problem is he doesn't actually learn or listen because he actually doesn't have any intention of making an actual SNES game and learning the hardware. He just wants to use the SNES homebrew scene for console war arguments. It's why he keeps asking the same things over and over again, continues to make weird mockups that aren't possible on an actual SNES or don't even really make sense. It's because all he cares about is having something that shows better numbers on paper than the Genesis. If he truly was interested in learning and making something he wouldn't have kept asking "How many bytes fit in 64KB of VRAM" in the SNES dev forum and discord to the annoyance of everyone.

• Like 3

Just now, TrekkiesUnite118 said:

The problem is he doesn't actually learn or listen because he actually doesn't have any intention of making an actual SNES game and learning the hardware. He just wants to use the SNES homebrew scene for console war arguments. It's why he keeps asking the same things over and over again, continues to make weird mockups that aren't possible on an actual SNES or don't even really make sense. It's because all he cares about is having something that shows better numbers on paper than the Genesis. If he truly was interested in learning and making something he wouldn't have kept asking "How many bytes fit in 64KB of VRAM" in the SNES dev forum and discord to the annoyance of everyone.

That hasn't been my personal experience with Kirk.  When he asks me questions, he listens to my answers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jeffythedragonslayer said:

That hasn't been my personal experience with Kirk.  When he asks me questions, he listens to my answers.

If he was actually listening and learning, he wouldn't have been banned from the SNES Dev forums or discord. He was literally asking them to be his personal SNES encyclopedia and calculator for console war purposes.

Edited by TrekkiesUnite118
  • Like 3

Sorry about being off topic, but since console wars was brought up, it reminded me of a confusion I've had due to some youtube comments I've seen: "The SNES default controller still has 1 more button than the Genesis' 6-button controller"

Now in all these years, I've always thought they've had the same amount of buttons (let's assume a reasonable definition for "button", not counting diagonal inputs on the dpad, button combinations, or something strange like that😅, though we can delve into that some other day)

So for me, these are SNES buttons:

Left, right, up, down

Left shoulder, right shoulder

A, b, x, y

Start, select

The Genesis 6-button pad:

Left, right, down, up

A, b, c, x, y, z

Mode, start

So simply ignoring the dpad altogether, that is 8 buttons for both controllers. So either I have made an error assuming the SNES has 1 less button and it actually has one I'm not aware of, or the YouTube comments might be unfamiliar with the 6-button pad having a "mode" button where a right shoulder bumper would be. It's the only way to activate nunchaku stance in Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story, dudes!!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jeffythedragonslayer said:

Yeah, I think they sometimes imagine I sit in a little void asking random SNES technical questions in forums for my own joy, and then I just go sit in a corner doing absolutely nothing with that knowledge. And the only way it seems they would consider it being "something" is if it literally exists as some working SNES game or demo right now, like that's all that can ever count in the entire spectrum of SNES development. It's like they don't seem to grasp the idea of learning about all the workings of some console from a game design and art creation perspective without necessarily being a SNES programmer too, which I may or may not get around to at some point.

In an ideal world I'd love to be able to actually code up all these ideas directly on SNES, if I really have no other option than to do it all myself, but, as I have never been shy about admitting, the current SNES development kits are just beyond my understanding right now. I still go back and try to look at the likes of PVSnesLib every once in a while though, because maybe at some point it will just click. And if a more user-friendly SNES development tool ever comes along, something I personally can get to grips with, I'll be on it in a heartbeat. Everyone here has seen how much SNES concept/mockup stuff I'm creating in GameMaker 8.1 and the like, and I'd be doing the same if a "SNESmaker" development tool existed that was similarly intuitive to use. But I think we know that even then they'd still find something to complain and troll about that regardless, while never authentically contributing to any actual SNES development or even genuinely positive discussion about the system themselves.

Some particular people in here claim they have a problem with me not showing off real working SNES games or whatever as my contribution to this SNES-specific sub-forum, like that's the main sticking point, despite all the stuff I actually have contributed in various meaningful ways, including a couple of working SNES demos, yet they can't see the irony of their own words and actions in mirror. I think that's because, like I've said previously, some of them really are in here basically trolling everyone, and some people just can't see it for what it is because it's focussed on me singularly. But, if we think about it, how can they go on and on about what is right for SNES for so long, telling me and in the process us all what is the only correct and acceptable way to do things, which is apparently only coding a game directly and no other option, spreading false narratives about me and my motivations, while literally not showing a single thing to contribute to the SNES discussion other than complaining about me the whole time. :-o

That's why I think it's important to always remember this:

What I personally believe we need to keep repeating in the back of our minds every time one of our masters speak is where are any SNES-related games, demos, tools, developer guides, even fan sites, YouTube videos, or whatever SNES-relevant content created by certain people who have positioned themselves as authorities on everything that is and is not allowed to be considered as valid contributions or even discussed in relation to SNES development in this SNES sub-forum. . . .

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

Just to add that if you need evidence of him using the SNES Dev scene for console war arguments, just go look at the threads he made on the SNES Dev forums. Just about every single one you can trace back to some console war argument he got into on twitter, youtube, etc. He'd then run to the SNES Dev forums asking random questions about it under the guise of making something, but the reality was he was running to them to have them win a youtube or twitter argument for him.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, JurassicDope said:

Sorry about being off topic, but since console wars was brought up, it reminded me of a confusion I've had due to some youtube comments I've seen: "The SNES default controller still has 1 more button than the Genesis' 6-button controller"

Now in all these years, I've always thought they've had the same amount of buttons (let's assume a reasonable definition for "button", not counting diagonal inputs on the dpad, button combinations, or something strange like that😅, though we can delve into that some other day)

So for me, these are SNES buttons:

Left, right, up, down

Left shoulder, right shoulder

A, b, x, y

Start, select

The Genesis 6-button pad:

Left, right, down, up

A, b, c, x, y, z

Mode, start

So simply ignoring the dpad altogether, that is 8 buttons for both controllers. So either I have made an error assuming the SNES has 1 less button and it actually has one I'm not aware of, or the YouTube comments might be unfamiliar with the 6-button pad having a "mode" button where a right shoulder bumper would be. It's the only way to activate nunchaku stance in Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story, dudes!!!

I've said that myself many times, precisely because I do often forget about the mode button. I'm not too harsh on myself whenever I forget that button to be honest. Lol

But, yeah, the Genesis 6-button controller does indeed have the same total number of inputs as the default SNES controller(s).

If you want lots of inputs on your controller, or a controller that's ideal for 6-button fighting games, or a controller that's ideal for playing the likes of Smash TV or circle-strafing in some fps or whatever, there's great options on both systems. It's just that the SNES has one of the best options regardless, and it comes basically "free" in the box for all SNES owners.

Edited by Kirk_Johnston
  • Like 1