IGNORED

Imagic Demon Attack cart and 800 XL

ddlugose

Hello,   

I am relatively new to the Atari 8 Bit world but am an original 16 bit STer.   I just picked up my first 800 XL, purchased like 20 games off ebay- no problems.  I bought a 400/800 Demon Attack cart and it doesn't load on the XL.  So I bought another - same thing.    Should I expect all Imagic carts not to load on the XL?   Both carts were sold clean and tested.  Do I need to buy an 800 to use these carts?  Thank you.

Yeah, the XL and XE series of computers cannot run Demon Attack as is.  There are digital copies out there that have been modified but you would need a rom cart.  The Atlantis cart does work.  Also if you have an add-on like the Ultimate 1MB you can boot into the older 400/800 OS that will allow the cart to run.  Probably lots of other methods.  I know there is a translator disk as well but not sure how or if that works with carts.  Lots of other big brain people will comment for sure.

The cart. version of Demon Attack requires the older 800 OS and will not work with the standard XL OS. There was a later + fixed release on diskette by Activision that works on XL computers. And of course there are several patched versions of the Demon Attack ROM available, as well as XEX fileversions that work fine on XL/XE computers.

On 9/8/2023 at 7:42 PM, CharlieChaplin said:

The cart. version of Demon Attack requires the older 800 OS and will not work with the standard XL OS. There was a later + fixed release on diskette by Activision that works on XL computers. And of course there are several patched versions of the Demon Attack ROM available, as well as XEX fileversions that work fine on XL/XE computers.

Anyone know of a list of carts that dont run on 800 xl?  So far I have pretty good luck until Demon Attack. I just picked up a SDrive Max Floppy Drive Emulator so carts may be a thing of the past.  I still like collecting them.