IGNORED

Remote Play

SpiceWare

I'd installed the Playstation App on my iPad and was looking around when I spotted this:

IMG_0993.thumb.png.de53e24701e3e9162d8f2e22dc7ea7a6.png

and clicked the Play using PS Remote Play.  Read the instructions, installed PS Remote Play, paired my extra PS5 DualSense controller*, and viola:

IMG_3899.thumb.jpeg.2b34c50d2dd2a889b466d13172a4cb21.jpeg

IMG_3900.thumb.jpeg.ad54f15ee406a6917fbc454d1c786c47.jpeg

IMG_3901.thumb.jpeg.342f14112a9441b50978f107fba7a240.jpeg

Pretty slick and performed well on my home network, anybody try it away from home?

* controller's really for my car but I'm still waiting on the Tesla update. I'm on FSD beta branch of the software which doesn't yet have bluetooth controller support. I'm likewise waiting on the new Charge on Solar feature.

8 minutes ago, SpiceWare said:

Pretty slick and performed well on my home network, anybody try it away from home?

I've never tried it away from home because it's hard to imagine it would be a pleasant experience.

On the home network with cabled ethernet I still get frame drops and digital noise at times

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SpiceWare said:

That's a bummer, I didn't encounter any issues though I'd only spent a few minutes testing it out.

I'll have to try it at my folks' house, they live in the neighborhood next to mine (less than a mile away) and we both have gigabit internet with Frontier.

Don't get me wrong, it's not having these issues constantly, but it happens enough that I can't imagine playing it away from home and working acceptably.    One reason is the upload speed on most home internet is a fraction of the download speed.   And remote play off the local network relies on your upload speed being good.

5 minutes ago, zzip said:

One reason is the upload speed on most home internet is a fraction of the download speed.   And remote play off the local network relies on your upload speed being good.

That shouldn't be an issue as this is what I'm getting on my Mac Studio (though strange that it's testing with a server in Dallas...):

image.thumb.png.4aa580e2c7c1fd15dcba389af4609344.png

However, this is puzzling - the PS5 is only showing about 30Mbps for upload...

IMG_3903.thumb.jpeg.28b24b727021cf7c669a87f2e00e4c59.jpeg

I'll have to look into that more this weekend.

Tried swapping network cables with my Mac mini, which gets similar results on speedtest as the Mac Studio.  PS5 had the same results with a good download but only 30Mpbs upload. I left the cable plugged into the same network switch port when I swapped it between the mini and PS5.

I then tried the trick to access the Web Browser via Twitter 𝕏 and accessed the SpeedTest webpage via the @Speedtest 𝕏 account.

IMG_3906.thumb.jpeg.3b56b6a5b3d331646fbf949cf30022d6.jpeg

Much better, though still only half the expected upload speed.  Possibly be an issue with the limited web browser, though it does at least confirm that the results of the PS5 upload test is not correct.

18 hours ago, zzip said:

On the home network with cabled ethernet I still get frame drops and digital noise at times

Did more play testing at home last night - played about 10 minutes of Centipede Recharged without any problems.

Astro's Playroom was fine going thru the GPU Jungle until I crossed the air plane and the capacitor rolls out of the mountainside.  When the capacitor showed up the frame rate and audio went to crap. Was disappointing.

I suspect the more complex the game the less CPU and GPU resources there are to handle the Remote Play.

1 hour ago, SpiceWare said:

I suspect the more complex the game the less CPU and GPU resources there are to handle the Remote Play.

I thought functions like remote play, and game recording were run by separate chip, or at least a dedicated core of the CPU so that game performance didn't impact their ability to function

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to trying out Remote Play at my folks' house.  Image and sound were perfect, even that capacitor section in Astro's Playroom that consistently caused issues when I Remote Play at home.

I didn't mention this before - Haptic Feedback did not work, though the microphone did as you can blow the pinwheels in Astro's Playroom.

I still need to look into charging the DualSense on the road. At home I use a charging station. I've tried plugging it into the 29W USB-C charger I use for my iPad Pro, but it won't charge (light bar remains off).  It does charge via a USB-C port on my Mac Studio, but that's not going on road trips.

4 hours ago, SpiceWare said:

I still need to look into charging the DualSense on the road. At home I use a charging station. I've tried plugging it into the 29W USB-C charger I use for my iPad Pro, but it won't charge (light bar remains off).  It does charge via a USB-C port on my Mac Studio, but that's not going on road trips.

I just use a Samsung phone charger (USB A to C). Works great. Id imagine it would work for car USB ports too.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2023 at 1:17 PM, Punisher5.0 said:

I just use a Samsung phone charger (USB A to C). Works great. Id imagine it would work for car USB ports too.

I tried my iPhone's USB A charger with an A to C cord. While the controller's light bar did briefly light up, it went out right away.  Even though it went out I left it plugged in for a few hours, but the controller stayed at the same 85% it was at before I plugged it in.

2 hours ago, SpiceWare said:

I tried my iPhone's USB A charger with an A to C cord. While the controller's light bar did briefly light up, it went out right away.  Even though it went out I left it plugged in for a few hours, but the controller stayed at the same 85% it was at before I plugged it in.

Hmm if you have one of those small battery banks that should work. Im not into the Apple ecosystem but with how locked down they are I'm not surprised that it didnt work with a non Apple product.