IGNORED

Phoenix and game not working - clueless what the issue is

retrolust

I'm new to the scene.  I have an updated gen 1 phoenix, and I'm having issues with Looping cartridge.  I can get the difficulty screen to load,  but once I choose a value, the screen goes blank and no audio plays.  I was wondering if my issue could be related to PAL vs NTSC.

Any ideas?

Edited by retrolust
word missing

The Phoenix appears to be orphaned, indicated by the long-standing unaddressed issues with HDMI output/compatibility, the lack of developer activity on GitHub, and the fanatical purging of posts critical of the Phoenix in Phoenix threads.

I personally recommend selling your Phoenix to a collector, modding an original ColecoVision with TMS-RGB, and enjoying your games thereby.  Trying to get the Phoenix working reliably without official support will be very frustrating.

Edited by wileyc
Add adjectives. English isn't my native language, nor my daily working language :)
  • Like 3

Have you tested the Looping cartridge on a ColecoVision or ADAM Computer to make sure the cartridge is working properly?

You can also download the Looping rom image from numerous sites (cvaddict.com), copy it to the Phoenix’s SD Card and run it from there… no cartridge needed.

I ran a quick test with my Phoenix and looping cart (all ntsc). Cleaned my looping cart good with some Deoxit first and let it dry.

In the Phoenix, it gets past the selection and in game. But did crash and reset on me during my first two of three play throughs. Once right as my plane was about to take off, once while shooting through the bricks in the first arch. A third play through went fine to the end of the level. Three play throughs of the first level using the rom directly off the Phoenix sd card showed no issues (reset between each play through).

I then used the cart to play through on my ColecoVision. Got to the end of the first level 3 times with no issues, resetting between each. Not a single crash or glitch. To me, that implies my cartridge is good.

So, that is a very limited and isolated test. But my phoenix did seem to have issues (albeit it different issues than the OP) with the physical cart that my real Coleco did not. But it did play the rom fine. Take that how you may.

19 hours ago, nick3092 said:

I ran a quick test with my Phoenix and looping cart (all ntsc). Cleaned my looping cart good with some Deoxit first and let it dry.

In the Phoenix, it gets past the selection and in game. But did crash and reset on me during my first two of three play throughs. Once right as my plane was about to take off, once while shooting through the bricks in the first arch. A third play through went fine to the end of the level. Three play throughs of the first level using the rom directly off the Phoenix sd card showed no issues (reset between each play through).

I then used the cart to play through on my ColecoVision. Got to the end of the first level 3 times with no issues, resetting between each. Not a single crash or glitch. To me, that implies my cartridge is good.

So, that is a very limited and isolated test. But my phoenix did seem to have issues (albeit it different issues than the OP) with the physical cart that my real Coleco did not. But it did play the rom fine. Take that how you may.

Thanks for the comparison!  I ended up testing another copy of the cartridge and it worked fine.

On 9/29/2023 at 4:36 PM, NIAD said:

Have you tested the Looping cartridge on a ColecoVision or ADAM Computer to make sure the cartridge is working properly?

You can also download the Looping rom image from numerous sites (cvaddict.com), copy it to the Phoenix’s SD Card and run it from there… no cartridge needed.

I had not tested on the hardware coleco, but it was a good suggestion.  Turns out a new copy of the cart works fine, so I'm guessing there could have been a hardware issue with the cart?  Cleaning the contacts did not seem to do anything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, retrolust said:

I had not tested on the hardware coleco, but it was a good suggestion.  Turns out a new copy of the cart works fine, so I'm guessing there could have been a hardware issue with the cart?  Cleaning the contacts did not seem to do anything.

Probably a cold solder joint somewhere on the cartridge PCB or a damaged contact on the edge connector.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2023 at 9:57 AM, Flyindrew said:

Ive had this experience with some of my carts. The cure- rubbing alcohol, Q-tips. Make one side of Q-tip moist rub both sides of the connectors in the carts. Take the dry side of the Q-tip and rub both sides. It should work fine.

Cleaning it makes no difference.  Looking at the contacts,  the top surface on the contacts appears to be eroded away halfway down at least 2 of the pins.  Not sure if that explains my exact issue in a technical sense,  but its all I can guess.

I have another cart that acts completely dead.

I'm now tempted to open them (ruining the stickers) in order to potentially reuse the shell.  I have no immediate plans to build carts but if there comes a day I can buy a board for one,  I'd enjoy that tinkering.

Edited by retrolust
clarification

• 2 weeks later...

Those are nasty and I wouldnt put those in my system.....however, I would use Electric Contact Cleaner (WD40 makes a great one).  It is specifically for electronics and cleans contacts far better than alcohol or other methods.  Although you may have to do multiple sessions on those lol, but it should help!!!

If that doesn't work, I would just buy a new (well, used) game that probably doesn't have that erosion issue!!