IGNORED

600XL Noise Audio

enito

Hi there,

This week i installed sophia revb (works amazing) in my atari 600Xl ntsc. Too Antonia 4mb, all fine, but sound i get some buzz . I tryed using the RF output pin for audio and too the audio outoput from din area and same effect. I checked ground and all is fine. I know cable using for get the audio can be inadecuate, i attach a video. Im using pin1 of sophia (not used pin) for install the rca audio cable.

Regards and thx!!

Edited by enito

Hi @enito,

It looks like you picked up the audio from where the RF modulator was. I recommend trying picking it up from the pad for audio were the monitor port used to be was since there is circuitry there for filtering audio and see if that improves things. It sounds like there is noise picking up the circuitry. 

Edited by scorpio_ny

Hi @enito

When I wired for audio, I usually use a separate wire apart from the video and a separate ground. I see you are sharing the same unshielded ribbon cable for both audio and video. Try wiring up an independent audio cable from the motherboard with its own ground. I recommend using shielded cabling for the new audio cable since that is such a long run directly from the motherboard.

Edited by scorpio_ny
  • Like 2

I don't see signal grounds connected, I don't see shield connected, if this is just for audio that might be ok, but

the red wire can also easily contact another pad

double check no caps are damaged

@enito  are you NTSC USA? That power supply looks like an ingot, they are death for Ataris, noisy, hum bar producing and eventually chip killing over volting boat anchors

Edited by _The Doctor__

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

I don't see signal grounds connected, I don't see shield connected, if this is just for audio that might be ok, but

the red wire can also easily contact another pad

double check no caps are damaged

@enito  are you NTSC USA? That power supply looks like an ingot, they are death for Ataris, noisy, hum bar producing and eventually chip killing over volting boat anchors

Hi, yes is a NTSC USA 600XL, and i tested with two ones psu. One Atari and other "modern" one, same effect.

Regards!

IMG_4079.JPG

IMG_4078.JPG

37 minutes ago, enito said:

Sound good replacing caps , but Wich one can be interfered with sound ? I try too soon uninstall Sophia and try . Thx for the tips 

Can you post a hi res image of the 600XL's pcb and also some close ups of the caps. Do any of the caps look compromised, bloated, leaking, any holes? Also the solder points on any of them either side of the board cracked or dulled? 

5 hours ago, enito said:

Hi there, i attach some photos hope the quality is good and clear. I replaced one cap look a bit badly, but the noise continue. thx !!!

Looks like you have replaced all the audio caps, but not the power caps?

image.thumb.png.9a69d3b5b4dc1865393dac94dcec6e0b.png

Just to be clear, you have the red on the Ground 0 Volt Plane and the Blue on the Audio Live output?

I do not know how you got it wired at the other end?

image.thumb.png.ffa2a01f33656c4f38d7d92b2594a8b9.png

Anyone know what the diode bridging the Crystal is for, is it an NSTC Thing?

10 minutes ago, Overange said:

Looks like you have replaced all the audio caps, but not the power caps?

image.thumb.png.9a69d3b5b4dc1865393dac94dcec6e0b.png

Just to be clear, you have the red on the Ground 0 Volt Plane and the Blue on the Audio Live output?

I do not know how you got it wired at the other end?

image.thumb.png.ffa2a01f33656c4f38d7d92b2594a8b9.png

Anyone know what the diode bridging the Crystal is for, is it an NSTC Thing?

forgot to add

image.thumb.png.108fa55e2c494247cd66595540d95948.png

That wire is floating / unattached ?

And can you open up this part, so we can see what is going on? 

image.png.133185814034dc2babee36f54ffd576c.png

Thanks

Edited by Overange

That sounds a lot like a known transistor issue with some old Akai reel to reel players.  However, I think the transistors in question were germanium type.  If you have verified that the power supply is outputting a clean 5 volts DC (no noise or AC ripple), you may want to change the transistors in the audio output path.

4 hours ago, Stephen said:

That sounds a lot like a known transistor issue with some old Akai reel to reel players.  However, I think the transistors in question were germanium type.  If you have verified that the power supply is outputting a clean 5 volts DC (no noise or AC ripple), you may want to change the transistors in the audio output path.

Sound good, i thinked the transistor is the 3 ones 2N3906 near of the area of sound. But you mention germanium style, i think i a bit confused .. Regards!

44 minutes ago, enito said:

Sound good, i thinked the transistor is the 3 ones 2N3906 near of the area of sound. But you mention germanium style, i think i a bit confused .. Regards!

Sorry - I mentioned the old type of transistor in the Akai units as being germanium.  All newer stuff since probably late 60s to early 70s has been silicon transistors.  But I have definitely heard "noisy" transistors like this before.  In my Akai reel to reel, as it warmed up, it would sound like someone was blowing wind into a microphone.