IGNORED

is there a very easy modern tool to convert .WAV files to .CAS?

newTIboyRob

I was able to successfully bring the 7 programs I had on tapes (before my 410 died)  into Audacity.  No levels exceeded 0 and all sounded fine, so I converted all 7 to WAV files, which I believe (and hope) are good enough. I found an old thread on the forum about converting from .WAV to .CAS, but that was almost a decade ago.

What do you recommend as a relatively easy to use modern tool to convert .WAV files to .CAS files?  I'm eager to convert them to .CAS, copy onto my SD card, and then try those in my SDrive Max to use with its TAPE function.

Edited by newTIboyRob

After today's investigating, I keep coming across a program called WAV2CAS but it seems to be very outdated. I even tried to use it, but even my computer said I couldn't  (I took that as a "sign."  hehe)

Is there anyone still converting their tapes (more recently) from .WAV files to .CAS for use in a device like the SDrive Max?  Would love to know what you use/have used to do so.  I have these seven  .WAV files just sitting here ready to be converted to .CAS files for the SDrive Max.

Edited by newTIboyRob

Wav2Cas is outdated indeed. A modern, maintained replacement project is A8CAS.

There is one catch, though. The process of converting .WAV files to .CAS has certain learning curve that cannot be fully avoided. One has to know the following:

• Operating some Digitized sound editor
  • Operating A8CAS
  • Knowing how atari cassettes work

If you publish your .WAV files, you can get some help with the conversion. There is a small pool of Atarians around who know the above.

• Like 2

@newTIboyRob I'm happy to help you convert them as I have on many titles for https://www.a8preservation.com

As @baktra suggests a8cas is the best program although there is usually some cleaning up of the resulting cas file after to remove fsk parts or simply to turn fsk to data information. I usually do this using a hexadecimal editor.

Edited by Atarigrub