IGNORED

No audio after cleaning the motherboard and reseating all ICs

Siliconburn

So I got and old 4 port that was a mess, but worked sort of.  I was getting heavy artifacts in the video with sound and a black screen occasionally. So i pulled it apart and started cleaning it with isopropyl alcohol and pulled the ICs and cleaned the legs and sockets with deoxit and cleaned to cartridge slot also.  After I got it back together and plugged it up, I had better video but no sound, not even static. Controllers work fine, did I just blow out the pokey chip?  

@SiliconburnCheck to make sure that you didn't miss the socket with 1 or more IC legs, either to the side or folded beneath the chip package. 

Bent legs can happen easier than it may seem, and isn't necessarily obvious, depending upon the angle of the board, and your room lighting.

Also, when moving components like ICs, damage to iffy solder joints can occur.  Check for questionable joints.

In addition, even when care is applied, sockets can be damaged when removing ICs.  Make sure that they all look uniform and appear to be making good contact with all legs.

Edited by fluxit

3 hours ago, fluxit said:

@SiliconburnCheck to make sure that you didn't miss the socket with 1 or more IC legs, either to the side or folded beneath the chip package. 

Bent legs can happen easier than it may seem, and isn't necessarily obvious, depending upon the angle of the board, and your room lighting.

Also, when moving components like ICs, damage to iffy solder joints can occur.  Check for questionable joints.

In addition, even when care is applied, sockets can be damaged when removing ICs.  Make sure that they all look uniform and appear to be making good contact with all legs.

I did re-check the pins and sockets and they appeared ok, I'll double check them and solder.  In a day or so, when I have a moment to pull it apart.  I need to check the voltages also, it seems to be giving a black screen at power on intermittently.  I also have to order 2 new flex circuits for the controllers, but I think I'll sort this out first.

Did you make sure that when installing the ICs back in that you had them oriented the proper way? As you say pretty much everything else is working, what about controls? Are you able to start a game and have it control properly?

13 hours ago, Siliconburn said:

I did re-check the pins and sockets and they appeared ok, I'll double check them and solder.  In a day or so, when I have a moment to pull it apart.  I need to check the voltages also, it seems to be giving a black screen at power on intermittently.  I also have to order 2 new flex circuits for the controllers, but I think I'll sort this out first.

It's not uncommon for those solder joints on the socket to come loose during the seating and unseating process. To check the socket connection, you can check for continuity between component legs, such as the pin on the IC and the resistor or pin on the next IC that it's connected to. It also helps to press on the chip lightly to see if you have an intermittent connection.