IGNORED

VirtualJaguar in Debian 12 (32 bit) has no sound

atarixle

Hi there,

I recently updated my outdated IBM Thinkpad to debian 12. And then I installed virtualjaguar, so I don't know if it would have worked in debian 10 or 11.

Now I have no sound whenever I run virtualjaguar. There is no output in the Terminal, so I have no clue what is going on here.

Did anybody tried this already? Anybody tried to run virtualjaguar on debian 12 64 bit?

Edited by atarixle

I am so stupid and forgetful ... why don't I try this myself, when I got a bunch of computers here running debian 11 32 / 64 and debian 12 64 bit ... but watching my computers do the update to the latest point-release I guess I wont check this out before finnishing this post. 

Check your mixer settings.   Sometimes if multiple audio devices are present, some apps will send their audio to the wrong one, and you will hear nothing.    There's usually controls to set the active audio device, and the per-app controls to change where they send their audio.

Also it could be a pulseaudio vs jack vs ALSA vs SDL issue.  It's been awhile since I messed with virtual jaguar, but if it gives you an option of which audio backend to use,  it might have chosen a default that doesn't work, and you can try different backends until you get sound.

• Thanks 1

Wow I never had thought of this but I tried out enabling the Jaguar BIOS.

image.png.f88493c6413bd9bcebf399e87d9cfaa2.png

This makes the sound appear. Strangely it worked in Windows without activating this checkbox.

Thanks for all your help, may be this helps you too.

This issue is solved for me. (may be I can add a solved tag to the toppic)

Edited by atarixle
  • Like 3

On my Atari VCS I have one of Atari's Debian USB sticks and when in PC mode it's Linux/Debian. I downloaded the BigPEmu and even tho it's on Debian/Linux and there is no build for it, you can use Wine and it opens Windows programs and then runs them on Debian/Linux. I have had no issues using that and running everything in BigPEmu at all even without a Debian/Linux build of it. Id say scrap Virtual Jaguar and use BigPEmu

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, UHATEIT said:

On my Atari VCS I have one of Atari's Debian USB sticks and when in PC mode it's Linux/Debian. I downloaded the BigPEmu and even tho it's on Debian/Linux and there is no build for it, you can use Wine and it opens Windows programs and then runs them on Debian/Linux. I have had no issues using that and running everything in BigPEmu at all even without a Debian/Linux build of it. Id say scrap Virtual Jaguar and use BigPEmu

I suggested that too.   But problem is he's on a 32-bit system and BigPemu is a 64-bit build 😕

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zzip said:

I suggested that too.   But problem is he's on a 32-bit system and BigPemu is a 64-bit build 😕

ah i thought there was something when he said 32bit that would come up. I dont know how I ended up on 64bit I dont understand that stuff at least, just whatever the Atari VCS runs on. I was happy at least to find a workaround to use BigPEmu on the VCS with the Debian usb stick!

1 minute ago, UHATEIT said:

ah i thought there was something when he said 32bit that would come up. I dont know how I ended up on 64bit I dont understand that stuff at least, just whatever the Atari VCS runs on. I was happy at least to find a workaround to use BigPEmu on the VCS with the Debian usb stick!

64-bit CPUs have been common since the mid-2000s,   I'm just wondering how ancient this laptop is if he can only do 32-bit :)

• 2 weeks later...

Intel produced 32 bit CPUs until the late '00 years, may be even longer. The R60e I got is a 2006 or 2007 Intel Core Duo E. I am interested in Retrogaming on its low-res 4:3 screen (1024x768).

I bought my 32 bit Acer Aspire One 10" as brandnew in 2010.

Edited by atarixle