IGNORED

using Atariwriter with Epson FX-80 printer

newTIboyRob

Hello all.  A couple of months ago, I posted a thread about this topic, but as I couldn't quite put everything together, I thought I'd just start fresh with a new post here.

I have the Atariwriter cartridge and Epson FX-80 printer combination. When I got to the print menu of Atari-only printers 1-4, namely the 1025,820,825,822, naturally none would work. So I'll have to go the insert printer control codes route it seems.   

I looked in the back of the FX 80 manual, but as I say, I couldn't quite put it together in how to use/where to insert the codes in Atariwriter. It was showing LPRINT statements in general, so I wasn't quite sure if those literally have to be incorporated in an Atariwriter document or where. So I thought it just easier if someone who has done this before and can recall might be so kind as to demonstrate how, with the codes, within the following fun little paragraph I wrote.

Actually before that 2 quickies:

1) what is and where does the command for just a straight file dump, without any specialized codes, to the printer go within the document?

2) Is there a way with the printer codes to completely change the entire font style for the printout in Atariwriter, say from 15 pica to a 10 of another style/look of printed characters on paper?

3) Here is the paragraph as if typed in Atariwriter:

It is (amazing, in boldface) how an early 1980's Atari 600XL computer can still communicate with modern devices in (2023 underlined), like the [Sdrive Max in italics]. Such a piece of gadgetry can obliterate both the need for and the problems associated with the obsolete 410 tape recorder.  Though it may take a [little, in condensed print] effort to get comfortable with using, the horizons are [wide, in double wide print] open in terms of future technological advances for the Atari fan.

Thanks @David_P  I see that now. I am not quite sure how to incorporate that for use with the Atariwriter though?   Is that something I download and put on my Sdrive Max and then run it one time, like our modern drivers, which will then always make Atariwriter communicate with my FX 80?  I'm not quite following yet.  (I don't understand how it comes into play with loading and using an Atariwriter document.)

That link may refer to Atariwriter Plus, which I know shipped with 2 floppies back in the day and gave you the ability to load a driver from disk for example. However, I have the original Atariwriter cartridge, so I would like to use that with the Epson FX-80 in the way I described above.

Edited by newTIboyRob

Nope it does not.

Why do you discuss instead of just trying to boot these images and see what happens? 🙄

On the above linked page is also a link to AtariWriter itself. If you follow this link, you will find the complete manual of AtariWriter (which might give some information on how to define printer controls). But anyway: First try the Construnction Set.

@DjayBee   I just find that link a little bit confusing because I see you can Load or Save a driver, but I don't see how to create the Epson Fx-80 printer driver.  I didn't think it was so wrong to discuss this here.

Luckily I did a little research and found a disk image that contained the FX 80 driver, so I will see if I can get that to work. In case anyone else needs it, I found it with  APX_AtariWriter_Printer_Drivers_1.0.atr(info)

Edited by newTIboyRob

1 hour ago, newTIboyRob said:

Luckily I did a little research and found a disk image that contained the FX 80 driver, so I will see if I can get that to work. In case anyone else needs it, I found it with  APX_AtariWriter_Printer_Drivers_1.0.atr(info)

There's a 2.0 version of this same set of drivers:

Serious Computerist - AtariWriter Printer Drivers v2.0

6 hours ago, newTIboyRob said:

@x=usr(1536)  and @TGB1718   ... hoping you have some thoughts on my post above  :)  

Would love to help, but although I used AtariWriter extensively and with many Epsom printers using my own

drivers and printer interface, I really can't remember how I did it (round the goldfish bowl too many times).

I know I used to boot my disk first, then put in a DOS disk to continue the boot to AtariWriter, when using

AtariWriter, I know I used to embed the printer codes in the text file itself.

4 minutes ago, newTIboyRob said:

Hello again @MrFish ... you can see I have come a long way, yes?  :)

Haven't really been following the progress; but I did see you mention an SDrive Max and 64KB RAM (?).

10 minutes ago, newTIboyRob said:

So you think the 2.0 version would be better to use than what I posted?

Depends if the disk contains an update for your specific printer. I don't really know what the update is about, at this point (I used to know, back when I added it to my website). You'll have to refer to the documentation to answer your question.

Hello Bob, thank you. I learned there is an Epson FX 80 driver for the Atariwriter found on a disk image I downloaded and put on my Sdrive. I am trying to see if that will work with the Atariwriter cartridge or not. Should it fail, I've learned that Atariwriter Plus has accomodation for FX 80 printer within the program itself.  I will know more when I run some tests tomorrow.

So there's another element thrown into the mix here. Let's see if we can figure this one out or come up with a work-around. I got an Atarwriter text file I made to Save and Load to D1 on The Sdrive. (From what I gather, D2 does not work with the program, just D1 to load and save.) I was able to get the APX file containing the Epson FX80 driver onto the SDrive easily and Load it back in to memory, (From (I)nventory of files I did see the EPSNFX80 driver)

But now the driver is in memory for later printing. If I try to load my text program back from D1, it will ask Erase File In Memory (the Epson Driver)

Someone who has used Atariwriter with an Epson printer back in the day would be very helpful here. How did you do it back then?  Maybe thus it can't work in this new configuration now with the Sdrive?

Actually, I had a happy ending with this here after all. Turns out that, yes, that autorun.sys file was the clincher, as gozar just mentioned.

Here's more detail:

I just downloaded the second set of APX drivers that contained the necessary EPSNFX80 file onto my Sdrive Max. Once you select that APX file, you load that in from the Sdrive so you can load the EPSNFX80 file into Atariwriter memory, then (S)ave that file as AUTORUN.SYS on your Atariwriter data disk.

But 2 key elements I would like to add:  

1) After this is done, you need to power off then on the Atari

2) If you're using the original cart still like I am, that Epson driver is shared (basically "hidden" because it still is not listed on the printer selection menu) by selecting #3, the Atari 820

After I did all of the above, I finally had success: typed, saved, loaded and printed a nice little document. Since the printer now communicates, I can just look in the manuals to see how to get  those more fancy things like the Italics et al I mentioned in the first post above in there. Eventually a very satisfying experience on this one!

Edited by newTIboyRob
  • Like 3