IGNORED

It's 2023: What is the best solution for replacing a TI-99/4A power supply? Find an old OEM, get the pricey keelog PSU or are there USB adapters like the ColecoVision and Atari8bit computers?

RockLobster

Finally got my first TI-99/4A (one of the silver metallic models, not either of the white ones) but it did not include a power supply.

C64 users typically stay away from OEM ones and some Atari8bit users prefer USB adapters with a PSU of enough amperage.

What's the best practice in 2023 for this?

Thank you

2 hours ago, RockLobster said:

Finally got my first TI-99/4A (one of the silver metallic models, not either of the white ones) but it did not include a power supply.

C64 users typically stay away from OEM ones and some Atari8bit users prefer USB adapters with a PSU of enough amperage.

What's the best practice in 2023 for this?

Thank you

The TI power supply pretty much doesn't go bad, and if they do, its usually an in line fuse. At least that's my experience in the years since I've owned them . I had one fuse blow in one years ago. Here's one on Ebay, new for a decent price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225076923027?hash=item3467a14a93:g:hiMAAOSwUR9kpamw&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4BAbNYAKyME9lJLcIfaUQpqnMS7%2Bt8acbCF7qRHlvQhFNww7Il7mj6W%2BjjJ02gJvIwYbmztndOI0AucG7UCBD6%2BsDC7zR7Hw5%2FhiLzakiz6%2BB45SircCZszEvgV9lgbos69JCgVNmRXcdsAsD3RMqogoJqYOzKeyHQS%2BLZ2m8CruYxtE4zgFIlBMTQeD94HpLrSuL9lNcBDsezxbv%2BVJufDkkg%2FXXmMSsiRV0TaSqBKcVk6AOY4tBFWWWKXD9FoR9kcpWvGx23bESBAZrmcU36qSYnKNCOTQluCrJs3hCK64|tkp%3ABk9SR6DH87bpYg

It may be an option for you?

• Like 1

I have stock of power supplies at arcadeshopper.com there's no need for a "modern supply"  and the use of a DC supply from external and rewiring a console is short sighted imho, this is a blown up console waiting to happen.

this is covered in the FAQ the external supply is AC not DC so no a usb won't work..  there's a AC/DC power supply inside the console, the console internally requires +5, -5 and 12v so again, no a usb wont work.. 

Someone else can probably answer that better, but the TI supply puts out several voltages, some too high for usb. Here's one of many article on the pin out of the internal power distribution system starting at the female socket in the TI.

http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/hardware/power_supply.html

And as @arcadeshopper, stated there is a pinned FAQ here on the main thread that gives alot of answers to the newcomers questions. He is also a source of hardware, TI and 3rd party.

Edited by RickyDean

52 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

I have stock of power supplies at arcadeshopper.com there's no need for a "modern supply"  and the use of a DC supply from external and rewiring a console is short sighted imho, this is a blown up console waiting to happen.

this is covered in the FAQ the external supply is AC not DC so no a usb won't work..  there's a AC/DC power supply inside the console, the console internally requires +5, -5 and 12v so again, no a usb wont work.. 

I'm not going to dispute the notion of "which is better" but USB IS viable.  First of all, the USB standard now allows for power delivery with up to 20V according to one standard IIRC.  And with DC/DC converters, the -5V can also be created.  So there's no reason a USB replacement can't be made.  Now, whether or not you *should* make such a conversion is up for debate and ultimately up to one's particular situation.

• Like 1

I also believe that Coleco used the same style plug and that the power supplies were interchangeable, I am probably wrong, but if so there may be another solution there, either stock or a usb solution. Never needed to find out myself, as I have a good supply of stock ti supplies for my purposes.

There was a similar discussion here:

Also another Ti'er just posted this as a possible solution:

Edited by RickyDean

1 hour ago, RickyDean said:

I also believe that Coleco used the same style plug and that the power supplies were interchangeable, I am probably wrong, but if so there may be another solution there, either stock or a usb solution. Never needed to find out myself, as I have a good supply of stock ti supplies for my purposes.

There was a similar discussion here:

Also another Ti'er just posted this as a possible solution:

Coleco supplies are NOT interchangeable despite the same physical plug. Coleco supplies output -5, 5, and 12 volts DC. The TI supply puts out AC only.

Possibly a Coleco supply in a TI will do nothing; I'm not familiar enough with the TI internal power supply to say for sure. But a TI supply into a Coleco will do some damage for sure. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChildOfCv said:

I'm not going to dispute the notion of "which is better" but USB IS viable.  First of all, the USB standard now allows for power delivery with up to 20V according to one standard IIRC.  And with DC/DC converters, the -5V can also be created.  So there's no reason a USB replacement can't be made.  Now, whether or not you *should* make such a conversion is up for debate and ultimately up to one's particular situation.

at what amp/watts?   that's a concern as well ..voltage isn't the only concern

the reason to use a modern supply is if the original supplies malfunctioned OR are not available, and neither is the case.

4 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

I have stock of power supplies at arcadeshopper.com

Do you have any European 230V by any chance?  Presume not ...

(BTW I figured out how to alter the PEB, swap red wire for orange seems to do the trick)

32 minutes ago, khanivore said:

Do you have any European 230V by any chance?  Presume not ...

(BTW I figured out how to alter the PEB, swap red wire for orange seems to do the trick)

I only have one eu supply and it's for my one eu console ;)  I can suggest a us 120v supply and a transformer..

I am not sure if there is a external power supply stock in Germany or Italy but I'd ask one of the users groups there.. 

Greg

• Like 1

On 10/20/2023 at 12:38 PM, arcadeshopper said:

the reason to use a modern supply is if the original supplies malfunctioned OR are not available, and neither is the case.

Current USB/PD specs are up to 240W, which is plenty for retro systems such as TI/99.  Many laptops these days are now powered by USB-C.  And with Europe's heavy-handed mandate, Apple hardware is now USB-C also.

On 10/20/2023 at 1:38 PM, arcadeshopper said:

I have several laptops that are powered by USB-C PD, and the adapters are rated at 65W, so I think that would be more than ample for a TI provided you had an appropriate DC-DC converter of course.

• Like 2

On 10/21/2023 at 2:22 AM, newTIboyRob said:

My power supply gets somewhat warmish and makes a humming sound. Are these fairly common and disregardable, or precursors of imminent darkness?

I assumed that you were referring to the internal power supply board. The external adaptor is simply an A.C. transformer. I have noticed some running hot, some not.

This could be attributable to issues with the utilities' supply, issues with the load(99/4As, have been built with parts from various manufacturers, with differing types, loading), or the adaptor itself! Haven't really explored why yet. I have noted that transformers that run hot, seem to have a greater likelihood of getting into trouble.:o

Some of the issues you have outlined in this topic and the companion topic ...I/O error 66 = ?, seem to indicate a possible issue with your installation's A.C. power. Such as the successful attempts ...yet inconsistent at different times. You also mentioned something about a "loud 60 hz hum". I observe that many switchboxes have been wired improperly, where the NEUTRAL line is switched, and the HOT lines are wired in COMMON. This tends to cause stray currents/fields to form in/around the surrounding structures(walls/paint/flooring).:thumbsdown: Come to think of it... I've seen entire buildings wired in reverse!:roll:

• Sad 1