IGNORED

Atari Writer vs SpeedScript 3.0

reifsnyderb

You might prefer to use TextPro over either of them; it's based on SpeedScript but interacts with DOS much more nicely than either SpeedScript or AtariWriter. AtariWriter remains more polished and robust than either, however, although you might also consider my own WP - The Last Word - which attempts to blend to the functionality of TextPro with the performance and robustness of AtariWriter and other higher-end A8 text editors.

• Like 4

Ok.  All good answers and this shows I probably screwed up my question.  In 1986, for example, I was using SpeedScript 3.0.  TextPro and Last Word weren't available.  So, did either Atari Writer or SpeedScript 3.0 have any advantages over the other?  Was there a good reason to choose one of the other?  Thanks!

9 minutes ago, reifsnyderb said:

Ok.  All good answers and this shows I probably screwed up my question.  In 1986, for example, I was using SpeedScript 3.0.  TextPro and Last Word weren't available.  So, did either Atari Writer or SpeedScript 3.0 have any advantages over the other?  Was there a good reason to choose one of the other?  Thanks!

For me this was a cost decision (though I never purchased either).  SpeedScript 3.0 seemed to be floating around for free at the local user-group.  Atariwriter was a cart that I couldn't afford at the time (I know there were disk versions, but i'm not sure I knew that then, I was 12 in 1986).

Edit: When I finally could afford a word processor we bought PaperClip as it what we used in schools (my school was a C64 school).

Edited by Atari8guy
To add Paperclip
  • Like 3

AtariWriter+ & AtariWriter 80 both had integrated spellcheckers.

AtariWriter had an APX product called ATSpeller for spellchecking. This was written by one of the authors of AtariWriter, Stanley Kistler.

SpeedScript didn't have any spellchecker, on the Atari (C64 version had one, called SpeedCheck).

I owned AtariWriter when I first got my 800XL in 1984 when I first started high school.  I upgraded to PaperClip in 1986 when I read about the Antic magazine staff using it for their work.  The details are fuzzy but I remember it being a much better word processor. I used it for any writing that I had to do for high school, not just papers.

My decision was based on this article from Antic, which also has comparisons for AtariWriter+ and Superscript.  https://www.atarimagazines.com/v5n10/sevenwordprocessors.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Big Player said:

The details are fuzzy but I remember it being a much better word processor. I used it for any writing that I had to do for high school, not just papers.

My whole family (5 adults at the time -- 4 of us in college) used AtariWriter+ for home, college, and professional work (word processing and mail merge for business). As mentioned by @flashjazzcat, the plus version was more capable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Big Player said:

I owned AtariWriter when I first got my 800XL in 1984 when I first started high school.  I upgraded to PaperClip in 1986 when I read about the Antic magazine staff using it for their work.  The details are fuzzy but I remember it being a much better word processor. I used it for any writing that I had to do for high school, not just papers.

My decision was based on this article from Antic, which also has comparisons for AtariWriter+ and Superscript.  https://www.atarimagazines.com/v5n10/sevenwordprocessors.html

Nice article.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, Big Player said:

By the time that article was printed I had moved on to an ST (where it wasn't easy to find a really good word processor). Before that I had used Letter Perfect, first on cart and then - IIRC - a later version from disc. I always liked it better than various cracked word processors that I encountered from time to time but the table shows that it lacked quite a lot of its younger competitor's features. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Hello guys

I've got AtariWriter+ here somewhere.  Never used it much, because somehow we're not compatible.  I typed in T:Edit from ANALOG Computing and used that a lot.  Plus DaisyDot for printing, first II then III.

Sincerely

Mathy

I traded an XE-80 for a registered copy of DDII.

• Like 1

At the time I really enjoyed Xlent Word Processor: it makes use of the help key for...guess what?... help. It also have some icons for accessing disk, print functions, search, copy paste, etc. Not sure how powerful it was on comparison with others, but I really appreciated that I did not need the manual in order to make a quick document, to format.a disk, check the directory of the disk, save the doc and print it. It also has a print preview function.

With all these editors, one can see that the 8-bit line was barely sufficient for a "productive work". At least 256 KB of directly addressable RAM and 80 colums would make things significantly better, but very expensive for a household or a student at the time. In any case, if it was either this or a typewriter, the choice would be obvious.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, baktra said:

8-bit line was barely sufficient for a "productive work"

I don't think so at all. We were all amazed at what we could do with that little computer, two disk drives, and a good printer. It was way more than just an improvement over a typewriter.

We did have a 130XE, though. So, I guess we had a little breathing room compared with the 64KB only crowd, for word processing.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, baktra said:

With all these editors, one can see that the 8-bit line was barely sufficient for a "productive work". At least 256 KB of directly addressable RAM and 80 colums would make things significantly better, but very expensive for a household or a student at the time. In any case, if it was either this or a typewriter, the choice would be obvious.

Really?  The 800XL, with SpeedScript 3.0 worked great!  (It sounds like AtariWriter was a better choice, though.)  The 1025 was a "little" on the slow side but once we got the Star NP-10, printing out reports and other documents worked very well.  SynCalc could do spreadsheets and database software existed as well.  (I've never seen Powerpoint really add much to productivity, so I don't thing that matters much.  🙂   )  80 columns and more memory was possible with the A8's.  It was no comparison to a typewriter.  Most importantly, you couldn't play MULE on a typewriter.   🙂

Edited by reifsnyderb
  • Like 3