IGNORED

Atari Writer vs SpeedScript 3.0

reifsnyderb

Agreed. My only means of producing printed written documents was an A8, TextPro/AtariWriter Plus (and later The Last Word), Daisy-Dot II and a Star LC10 printer right up until the year 2000 or so. That got me through college assignments, University dissertation, creative writing, CV, job applications, etc, no problem at all.

• Like 4

This is how good AtariWriter was at the time. Freshman year at college there were 4 computers in my corridor. A Mac that no one was allowed to touch, an original IBM PC that no one wanted to touch, and Apple ][+ without lowercase characters, and my Atari 800XL. Half the corridor typed up their papers in AtariWriter instead of walking to a computer lab, I still have several disks of other people's work from the time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I agree about the productivity of the Atari 8-bits. I could have used my 800XL through college.

I did use it through June 1988, when I graduated from high school.  I considered taking it with me to college but my freshman year roommate brought his Radio Shack MS-DOS compatible computer. Space in the dorms was tight and we had to dedicate one of the desks to the computer and printer.

The university I attended (Ohio State) had a ton of computer labs, including one that was open 24/7, with IBM PC's and Mac's, so I had that option as well. I had to use the labs a few times during freshman year when we both had papers due at the same time.

If I had gone to a smaller school and not had a roommate with a computer, I would have taken my Atari and used it.  The only feature I missed was spell check, which I could have if I had bought a 130XE or a different word processor than PaperClip.

• Like 2