IGNORED

7800 to barrel adapter?

There was a 7800 to genesis power adapter thread here from 3 years ago.  Its sold out.  Anyhow I saw this while browsing ebay tonight.  40 (35+5 shipping for me at least) seems a little high.  I already have a working power supply original.  But incase it breaks this might be worth a look.  Also this is better than modding because it leaves the original console in tact.  And looks well constructed.  But is 40 too high or is it worth it?

ebay

6 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

There was a 7800 to genesis power adapter thread here from 3 years ago.  Its sold out.  Anyhow I saw this while browsing ebay tonight.  40 (35+5 shipping for me at least) seems a little high.  I already have a working power supply original.  But incase it breaks this might be worth a look.  Also this is better than modding because it leaves the original console in tact.  And looks well constructed.  But is 40 too high or is it worth it?

ebay

I'm working one up now. Should be about $8 plus shipping, no ps included. It's a standard 5.5 barrel jack.

7 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

ebay

Yeah I made a batch of them a few years ago and was selling them for about $15 shipping included at that time. I would have made more, but then someone cleaned out Console5 of their 7800 power wires in the span of about a month as Console5 went from having about 300+ of them to gone during that time.

It wasn't too far after that Best had their new power supplies available so maybe...?

Anyway, yeah $40 is way to high. The parts cost for the ones I was making was about $6 and just a few min of time to make up each one.

@rj1307's plugs he provided for the Dragonfly carts fits well and were 3D printed. Would be nice to know exactly how those were made as it would allow for a good supply of these for the future.

7 minutes ago, bent_pin said:

Not a fan of the genesis adapter because it's tip negative in a tip positive world.

Agreed, but I included a small sticker tag that had the polarity printed on the adapters I sold and specifically listed them as for use with Genesis, SMS, TG-16, and Jaguar PSUs as all of those were specs that were good for the 7800 and all used the same center negative polarity.

BTW, that setup was way more common in the 80s and 90s than today. Most of Roland's synth modules and sequencers for instance used the exact same PSUs with center negative polarity on them.

On consoles that I modify with a new barrel jack for use with Sega PSUs etc, I replace the ferrite bead just before the main input filter cap with a rectifier diode to act as polarity protection in case the wrong DC supply is used. Can't do much if they put an NES one in there without a full bridge being added but it helps.

6 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Agreed, but I included a small sticker tag that had the polarity printed on the adapters I sold and specifically listed them as for use with Genesis, SMS, TG-16, and Jaguar PSUs as all of those were specs that were good for the 7800 and all used the same center negative polarity.

BTW, that setup was way more common in the 80s and 90s than today. Most of Roland's synth modules and sequencers for instance used the exact same PSUs with center negative polarity on them.

On consoles that I modify with a new barrel jack for use with Sega PSUs etc, I replace the ferrite bead just before the main input filter cap with a rectifier diode to act as polarity protection in case the wrong DC supply is used. Can't do much if they put an NES one in there without a full bridge being added but it helps.

I'm working a mosfet, a zeener diode, and a resistor into a tiny board along with a pin plug that you solder onto the board after removing the old connector. Could make it fancy auto reversing, but I'm trying to keep the price down. I was thinking of selling a whole bullet-proofing kit with 4 heatsinks, the three caps, the voltage regulator and a tiny pack of grease, as well a composite video mod with trim pots, the power mod, and a power supply. Haven't thought about pricing for it though.

49 minutes ago, bent_pin said:

I'm working a mosfet, a zeener diode, and a resistor into a tiny board along with a pin plug that you solder onto the board after removing the old connector. Could make it fancy auto reversing, but I'm trying to keep the price down. I was thinking of selling a whole bullet-proofing kit with 4 heatsinks, the three caps, the voltage regulator and a tiny pack of grease, as well a composite video mod with trim pots, the power mod, and a power supply. Haven't thought about pricing for it though.

I like to stick a DC-DC regulator into them so the heatsink can be done away with completely. Sure it costs some money but it provides a rock solid +5 with more than enough current needed with upgrades installed and can handle a wide range of input voltage from a PSU. 

47 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I like to stick a DC-DC regulator into them so the heatsink can be done away with completely. Sure it costs some money but it provides a rock solid +5 with more than enough current needed with upgrades installed and can handle a wide range of input voltage from a PSU. 

Got a link, please?

5 minutes ago, bent_pin said:

Got a link, please?

There are several out there but I use the Traco 2-2450. I tend to order them in small bulks from mouser for use in my work requests. They run about $12 each but again simple drop in replacement and the heat overall inside the console is greatly reduced as a result of using them. Now I will say that on RF output, I have noticed additional noise that I'm sure is a result of this, although the 2-2450 is supposed to have filtering internally to prevent this. But it doesn't affect AV upgrades that I've seen or at least it doesn't effect the UAV installs I've done.

The 2-2450 is a 2A output +5 DC-DC switching regulator rated to work with as low as 7v input. Previous versions I was using actually required about 12v input to produce a +5 output with them only kicking out 3.3v output on lower input voltage. But the current 2-2450 doesn't have this limitation.