IGNORED

Does anyone currently make / sell a pass-thru device for the 7800?

T.A.P.

1 hour ago, T.A.P. said:

Specifically something that will let you play Imagic games and other 3rd party 2600 cartridges that are too tight to fit in a stock 7800.

A year or two ago I tried to purchase one from a guy (I can't remember his name) but he flaked out and never sent it. 

You are likely talking about the 2600 lock on adapter? It was a small PCB with the 2600 connector on it in a 3D printed shell that allowed those odd 3rd part carts to fit better in the console. At one point I thought he was working with Al to get them more available? 

That said I do offer a way to trim the cartridge sleeve that isn't very obvious to compensate for this on the 7800s that I service. But I only do it when requested since most folks with 7800s have actual 2600s too.

@ChrisKewl's Lock-On 2600 is a fantastic device! There were some issues with his partner, @winz_mod, but Chris is still around and I believe Chris has since partnered with @Albert and AtariAge. Last I heard earlier this year, Al had the Lock-On carts in his possession but he was still in the process of getting the labels made for them. I believe Al's intention is to sell these in the AtariAge Store but probably couldn't hurt to reach out to see if there's any updated timeline. 

1 hour ago, 0078265317 said:

Specifically which games don't fit?

Imagic and Konami I find to be the worst of all of them for not wanting to fit without a lot of force. That is followed up with Activision, Sega... Tigervision, but that has more to do with the dust pegs being too long and not retracting vs the shell on Tigervision carts and it isn't all of them with that issue.

29 minutes ago, JagChris said:

Hmmm didn't know this was an issue. I have a couple Imagic carts and they fit my 7800 fine. 

I assume this isn't a universal problem?

No it isn't and it was an issue with later made 7800s as the molds apparently were getting more and more worn out. The other possibility is that over time, if you use enough force, the plastic will crack on the sleeve allow them to separate for those carts to work but not really be noticed without looking close. So you might see if at some point in time, yours wasn't deflowered in that way.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sixersfan105 said:

@ChrisKewl's Lock-On 2600 is a fantastic device! There were some issues with his partner, @winz_mod, but Chris is still around and I believe Chris has since partnered with @Albert and AtariAge. Last I heard earlier this year, Al had the Lock-On carts in his possession but he was still in the process of getting the labels made for them. I believe Al's intention is to sell these in the AtariAge Store but probably couldn't hurt to reach out to see if there's any updated timeline. 

Yep! That's the one. I ordered one from winz_mod's store, but he never sent it or even responded to messages of any kind, so I had to eventually request a charge back through my credit card company.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

You are likely talking about the 2600 lock on adapter? It was a small PCB with the 2600 connector on it in a 3D printed shell that allowed those odd 3rd part carts to fit better in the console. At one point I thought he was working with Al to get them more available? 

That said I do offer a way to trim the cartridge sleeve that isn't very obvious to compensate for this on the 7800s that I service. But I only do it when requested since most folks with 7800s have actual 2600s too.

I have always been squeamish about altering my consoles, even for simple little things like just shaving off some plastic. 

36 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Ya, get a passthrough. I agree, that chopping up the glide isn't worth it.

Who said anything about chopping it up? I don't cut the corners out when I do this anymore as I have another method that is much less obvious but is much more time consuming to be sure.

7 hours ago, T.A.P. said:

Yep! That's the one. I ordered one from winz_mod's store, but he never sent it or even responded to messages of any kind, so I had to eventually request a charge back through my credit card company.

Ugh, I'm sorry to hear that. I had heard about Winz going AWOL. Hopefully the Lock-On will be in the AA Store sooner than later. 

12 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Who said anything about chopping it up? I don't cut the corners out when I do this anymore as I have another method that is much less obvious but is much more time consuming to be sure.

Can confirm that your method is not visibly obvious at all, but works very well. 🙂