IGNORED

Speech ROMS Question

Shift838

13 minutes ago, Stuart said:

There's a TMS6100 hardware emulator available as well - https://www.waitingforfriday.com/?p=30.

I ran across this site as well and have been reading and looking at the code.  wondering how hard it will be to change it up to have the data from the TMS6100's for the TI.

30 minutes ago, Shift838 said:

I ran across this site as well and have been reading and looking at the code.  wondering how hard it will be to change it up to have the data from the TMS6100's for the TI.

Looks like the data is in a .h file that you compile in the project. Have the speech synth TMS6100s been dumped?

17 hours ago, Shift838 said:

And assemble both together, maybe?  That would be cool....

You can find the dumps in ti99_speech.zip:

cd2325a.vsm

cd2326a.vsm

Mind that the ROMs have mirrored byte values (swapped order MSB-LSB), compared to the output. That is, the ROM starts with 55 20 b2 (01010101 00100000 10110010), which becomes aa 04 4d when you read it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The microcontroller I am using in the grommy2 project could easily do this (128k of Flash and plenty of horsepower for something like this). I took a very quick look at the TMS6100 pinout and I think it probably be a simple matter of just wiring the grommy2 board to replace the TMS6100 chips. I can try it out when I have time. I am currently working on the Grommy2 firmware already, although haven't had time to advance it this week.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, speccery said:

The microcontroller I am using in the grommy2 project could easily do this (128k of Flash and plenty of horsepower for something like this). I took a very quick look at the TMS6100 pinout and I think it probably be a simple matter of just wiring the grommy2 board to replace the TMS6100 chips. I can try it out when I have time. I am currently working on the Grommy2 firmware already, although haven't had time to advance it this week.

this would be cool.  I would like to make a whole new speech card that has a real-time clock compatible with both Corcomp calls to retrieve the time/date as well as Fred's IDE calls.  of course I want the RTC to just be a add-on if desired.

If your Grommy2 project could work in place of the origianl TMS6100 ICs that would be great.  I have a decent supply of the TMS5220 processor at my disposal.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2023 at 1:18 PM, mizapf said:

You can find the dumps in ti99_speech.zip:

cd2325a.vsm

cd2326a.vsm

Mind that the ROMs have mirrored byte values (swapped order MSB-LSB), compared to the output. That is, the ROM starts with 55 20 b2 (01010101 00100000 10110010), which becomes aa 04 4d when you read it.

Lol, yeah found that out the hard way. Dude who created them originally did have an eBay account (which I can't find now) and I picked up two.

I originally had him flash in the U.S. version of the BBC micro with hilarious results. Once I got my programmer hooked up to it and pointed the two dumped TMS 6100 files above and loaded them in the 32K flash,

the 4A would only "see" the first of the stacked phROMs. He's since fixed the ~1.7KB program to recognize/respect stacked TMS6100s. I re-flashed the board but never got around to trying it again.

I suppose using a larger micro one could reasonably add user-created phROMs but that's on my deep to-do list.

IMG_1759.jpg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, helocast said:

Lol, yeah found that out the hard way. Dude who created them originally did have an eBay account (which I can't find now) and I picked up two.

I originally had him flash in the U.S. version of the BBC micro with hilarious results. Once I got my programmer hooked up to it and pointed the two dumped TMS 6100 files above and loaded them in the 32K flash,

the 4A would only "see" the first of the stacked phROMs. He's since fixed the ~1.7KB program to recognize/respect stacked TMS6100s. I re-flashed the board but never got around to trying it again.

I suppose using a larger micro one could reasonably add user-created phROMs but that's on my deep to-do list.

I believe those are just the TMS6100 emulator circuit, correct?  I believe it is the github repository below:

https://github.com/simoninns/TMS6100-Emulator/tree/master

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shift838 said:

I believe those are just the TMS6100 emulator circuit, correct?  I believe it is the github repository below:

https://github.com/simoninns/TMS6100-Emulator/tree/master

That's correct. I sacrificed a speech unit, de-soldered the phROMs, and replaced the stack up with a socket and then this emulator plugged into that.

Doug

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/19/2023 at 4:25 PM, helocast said:

That's correct. I sacrificed a speech unit, de-soldered the phROMs, and replaced the stack up with a socket and then this emulator plugged into that.

Doug

you did not have to change any wiring, just plugged them in?