IGNORED

Presenting the new Colecovision Edition MCP (Master Console Protector)

8bitwidgets.com

Hi everyone, so I'm excited to announce the first in a series of 8-Bit console protection devices known as the MCP (Master Console Protector) which acts as a kind of socket buffer between your classic console and cartridges. This first one is for the Coleco, but the 2600 and Intellivision are cued up next and we intend apply this product to a slew of cartridge based system from the 70s, 80s and 90s.

If you'd like one PM me.  These will sell for $29.99.   There is a beige model for the Adam and black for the Colecovision.  We have our first run of 25 coming will be available in early January.  We have the custom PCBs already printed and in our possession, but there is some lead time for the socket we need for 22 of them.  I have two available now if anyone is interested.  

Edited by 8bitwidgets.com
  • Like 2

I don't own one to know.. but i can say that it is form fitted for an original coleco.  It's deliberately a hair wider to be snug sliding in so it doesn't come out with the cartridge.  It should work but can't confirm.  if someone with phoenix has a coleco.. if the width is the same it should be fine.  

If someone with a phoenix can get me some width measurements.. we could verify that way too

Using a calipers on my Phoenix, I have 3.290" at the wide/back part of the slot and 3.056" at the front/narrow part of the slot.  Front to back I have .841".  But there could be a slight error in that measurement, as I have no way of knowing if the calipers are perfectly perpendicular to the front and back of the slot because of the side angle.

• Like 1

Well on the quick and dirty you could just surround the socket with say, a single layer of black electrical tape to offer a little extra grip.  It doesn't take a lot of resistance to insure it stays in and the cartridge comes out. Being it's meant to be a persistent item, this would likely do the trick and not think about it after that or simply when removing the cartridge just place a finger on the flange to hold it in place.  

I am working a couple of enhancements while we get our initial list of interested folks together, first working on adding a flip cover that will allow the socket of the protector to have a dust cover while not in use.  

Also, depending on the interest, we're looking to offer an optional 90 degree socket that would allow low profile usage (think NES oriented cartridge insertion).  I have one request so far for it, but it would require another custom PCB be designed for it, but I admit I really like the idea and hope to offer it in the near future.  

Thanks,

Caleb

4 minutes ago, Captain Cozmos said:

My first thought is that you created some kind of protection circuit to prevent static or some other electric damage from happening.

So is this just a pass-through like an extension cord?

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but it sounds like the device saves additional wear-and-tear on the original cartridge port.

I upgraded to a Phoenix some time ago, and this device would really help in swapping between cartridges when I’m not using my Atarimax SD cartridge. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ColecoGamer said:

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but it sounds like the device saves additional wear-and-tear on the original cartridge port.

I upgraded to a Phoenix some time ago, and this device would really help in swapping between cartridges when I’m not using my Atarimax SD cartridge. 

As long as it works right?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Captain Cozmos said:

So is this just a pass-through like an extension cord?

Yes it's designed to help reduce future wear and tear on the pins of the console.  I am also working on a dust flip cover that will protect the MCP socket from dust while not in use.  Also refining a 90 degree socket adapter for low profile situations (imagine the cartridge orientation like an NES)

6 hours ago, ColecoGamer said:

That's right.  It would work with the Phoenix, however the snug lock in design was calibrated for the CV.  If using with the Phoenix you may just have to place hand on the flange of the MCP to keep it socketed or as mentioned above even a round of plumbers tape would likely be all that's needed to give it just that extra friction to stay in place "permanently".   The flange of the MCP would cover anything unsightly about having a little plumbers tape utilized.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ColecoGamer said:

The other thing is the vertical depth of the Phoenix.  I have very specific measurements to insure the male end of the MCP seats properly in the CV/Adam socket.  The flange was measured for that exact specification.  I imagine eyeballing pictures the socket depth is not that deep which means the flange would kinda be floating in the air.

For a Phoenix version, which I'm willing to make and test, would require (as I've done with other products for people in the past) someone to mail me a Phoenix to test against.  I realize that's a big ask seeing how much these damn things are selling for on ebay, heh, but that is the offer.  Cover shipping and the standard price of a MCP and I will do it.  

However, as-is, it will still work and with a little cushion (tape comes to mind, but even some kind of other material could be used) around the base should offer enough friction to keep it in for the long haul. 

Edited by 8bitwidgets.com
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rwest said:

How do I place an order?

a PM is great, but seeing this reply I'll put your name down on the list.  We're hoping to get the list filled.  I'll reach out to everyone when we know we're ready to ship in January.  I'll keep folks informed about progress as we get parts and make some finishing design improvements so everyone knows the final product. :) 

Sincerely,

Caleb

8 hours ago, 8bitwidgets.com said:

a PM is great, but seeing this reply I'll put your name down on the list.  We're hoping to get the list filled.  I'll reach out to everyone when we know we're ready to ship in January.  I'll keep folks informed about progress as we get parts and make some finishing design improvements so everyone knows the final product. :) 

Sincerely,

Caleb

Thanks Caleb,

I would like one for sure and probably a second one too.

Rutager

• Like 1

On 11/22/2023 at 10:05 PM, 8bitwidgets.com said:

first working on adding a flip cover that will allow the socket of the protector to have a dust cover while not in use.  

Still a WIP, but this is proving to be a very solid flip cover.  I'm iterating on this to allow a full flip back so it's out of the way entirely..  right now this one only rotates 180.. but i want it to be able to rotate 270..  and a small grip to make it easy to flip back.  The hinge is snug.  stays in place and hasn't shown any signs of popping free.  I'll make a video of the final once I'm happy with it's overall construction and make sure everything lines up nicely.  

image.thumb.jpeg.64acf1b41b66383cd40766c8096f4d18.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Since I don’t have a phoenix accessible to me, and they are a bit pricey, what I would say is test out the MCP and see how it fits in your system. Depending how radically different it is, I might be able to make a modified enclosure.  Ideally, if someone mailed me their Phoenix, I could develop against that directly but again I understand these things are rare and difficult to replace so I’m thinking of alternative possibilities. 

I will put you down for one of the beige versions. Right now we are currently waiting for some parts that I hope will get here sometime in mid January most likely.  If I had to throw a date out, I would expect orders to be filled sometime in February.  

I just got my three test PCBs for the 2600 version which I’m going to work on in the coming week. I’ll have more to share about that in the 2600 forum. 

A quick update.  It looks like were expecting the remaining needed parts by the End of the month.  They say 1/17/2023 but that's likely when they get them if that doesn't change and then they have to ship them to us.  My partner has to do his part to assemble the PCB / electronics stuff, then it's over to me to assemble the enclosure and pcb and ship out.  So we should have things ready I would hope by Early February.  

Also someone has been kind enough to potentially send me a Phoenix to create a custom enclosure to fit it optimally, but I might be able to (with his help) prototype it remotely with some feedback.  

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone, just a quick update.  The parts are coming soon.  Getting our distributor to setup an account for us slowed things down and then they actually got us the 2600 MCP PCBs to use faster than the Colecovision..  I'm working on that one next.  the CV version is largely worked out.  A hint of refinement is coming but I've been making the dust flap much stronger.. using a penny nail and snipping off the excess gives a good result.  

The parts are on their way and after that my parter will be doing the pcb assembly and shipping those to me.  to complete the final assembly.  Very excited to get this shipped to those on the list.  I have a few still unclaimed if anyone is interested, otherwise the excess will go on etsy / ebay and then we move on to the 2600 and beyond.  

There is talk of making a 90 degree angle adapter, however, unless we get a significant reply from folks that they would like one of these in addition to the MCP, it will be on hold till we get back to a second batch of MCP for the Colecovision.  

IMG_8220.thumb.JPG.3d7ad2f0f006c06caff33d1329192c5d.JPG

IMG_8223.thumb.JPG.e792c33144e78c9c941249f26ed107c9.JPG

• 2 months later...