IGNORED

Is there a guide to fitting an Apple IIGS into an Apple IIe shell?

Boschloo

Is there a guide to fitting an Apple IIGS (ROM 1) into an Apple IIe shell? Any sort of tutorial? I would like to do the IIGs Stealth conversion.  I'm aware that Maceffects sells a clear case with a conversion kit (which I'm not sure what it's comprised of), but I'm not really interested in the clear case because I own an Apple IIe already and could use that. How hard is this project? Would I need to drill the screw holes myself? Would my Garret's Workshop RAM2GS II still work inside that shell? @magnusfalkirk

Edited by Boschloo

19 minutes ago, magnusfalkirk said:

JuicedGS-V02I2.pdfJuicedGS-V02I2.pdfJuicedGS-V02I2.pdfJuicedGS-V02I2.pdfJuicedGS-V02I2.pdfJuicedGS-V02I2.pdfJuicedGS-V02I2.pdf 44.42 MB · 0 downloads This pdf copy of vol 2 issue 2 has an article on doing the IIe to GS upgrade. It starts out talking about the GS upgrade kit but then goes into detail about hacking a regular ROM 1 motherboard into a IIe case. I hope this will help you.

I didn't think Juiced.GS was free to redistribute, outside of a few sample issues. Pretty sure back issues are still for sale. 

1 hour ago, magnusfalkirk said:

Not sure about the Garret's Workshop RAM2GS II. guess you'll just haveto read the article about the upgrade and see what it says about ram upgrade boards for the hack

Thank you for the article, I had been chasing it down for a long time! Were you ever successful in your IIGS upgrade? I ran into an old post of yours about it, which is why I tagged you.

It's a shame that Shreve Systems is long gone.

Re: IIgs memory cards, pretty sure they all fit in a IIe case. All of them are slanted on the front corner. There would be no reason to slant them in a IIgs, so fitting a IIe case would be the only logical reason. Garrett's card is actually incredibly small. Smaller than the size of a gift card. 

IMG_4256.jpeg

Edited by nick3092

On 11/25/2023 at 11:59 AM, magnusfalkirk said:

I never used that ROM 3 board, in fact I eventually sold it to someone who needed one. I've got both a ROM 1 GS, with an Applesqueezer accelerator in it, and a ROM 3 that I picked up for free in Dayton, Oh Sep of last year. You might want to consider getting the Applesqueezer, it makes the GS fly!

I'm having a hard time sourcing one, I did hear about it from the Action Retro channel.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/24/2023 at 10:11 AM, Boschloo said:

Is there a guide to fitting an Apple IIGS (ROM 1) into an Apple IIe shell? Any sort of tutorial? I would like to do the IIGs Stealth conversion.  I'm aware that Maceffects sells a clear case with a conversion kit (which I'm not sure what it's comprised of), but I'm not really interested in the clear case because I own an Apple IIe already and could use that. How hard is this project? Would I need to drill the screw holes myself? Would my Garret's Workshop RAM2GS II still work inside that shell? @magnusfalkirk

Back in the early '90s, I ordered the upgrade kit that Sun Remarketing was selling (for about $350 at the time, vs. the $500 that Apple used to charge).  It shipped with a bottom plate that had all of the appropriate holes for the back-of-the-motherboard connectors and holes in the bottom for standoffs where they were needed.  Hacking a stock IIe baseplate to work would, I imagine, involve lots of trial and error.  If your IIGS motherboard doesn't already have connectors for the IIe keyboard and power supply, you'd need to add them.  The keyboard connector would be easy enough once you clear the holes in the motherboard of whatever solder is in them as it's a standard boxed pin header, but the power-supply connector is a bit of an oddball; I don't know what part you would use there.  I'd be inclined to cut the plug off the power supply and replace it with one that'll fit the IIGS connector...think it's a Molex KK 7-position 156-mil female connector with one of the positions left empty.  The connectors, if you need them, would be readily available from the likes of DigiKey or Mouser.

OTOH, the Garrett's Workshop RAM expansion should, as others noted, fit easily without a problem.  Back in the day, I had to take a Dremel to a brand-new Sequential Systems RAM card to make it fit, as it was only designed to fit in a IIGS case.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The proper Lower Pan makes a big Difference...   I messaged someone that did his own...   

He might give you some advice...

MarkO

• Like 1