IGNORED

The hardest Atari 2600 game

elviticus

Also, Thrust gets really, really hard.

Yup, and I also never made it through the whole game, but have tested and completed every mission while coding it. I wonder who will be the first to master the whole game.

But I still have way more problems with other homebrews like Qb (and Marble Craze of course ;)).

Nobody's mentioned Secret Quest! That one is seriously hard to beat! I've only found maps and walkthroughs online that go up to the 5th space station. It doesn't look like anybody's ever gotten farther than that! It's a great game, it just gets too challenging too quickly. I wish there was a cheat code that would keep you from running out of oxygen and energy.

I actually finished Survival Island. But then, I used the maps that came with Stella Gets A New Brain. I doubt I could have made it through without them.

Nobody's mentioned Secret Quest! That one is seriously hard to beat! I've only found maps and walkthroughs online that go up to the 5th space station. It doesn't look like anybody's ever gotten farther than that! It's a great game, it just gets too challenging too quickly. I wish there was a cheat code that would keep you from running out of oxygen and energy.

I actually finished Survival Island. But then, I used the maps that came with Stella Gets A New Brain. I doubt I could have made it through without them.

I have gotten through Secret Quest. You really have to make a map because the higher levels get really confusing.

My vote for the hardest is still Solaris. I love the game, but boy is it hard. Those &*^% cobra ships get me every time.

I did make maps but I still ran out of energy and oxygen before getting halfway through the game.

What was the ending of Secret Quest like?

Well, that is where you need to cheat a little. The way I beat the game the first time was I would write down the password at the start of each level. I would play a little and try to get my oxygen/energy a little higher. If I did, I would write down that password. I would continue this until I had full oxygen and power. Once I had full oxygen/energy, I could go through the level writting down the map. Once I had the map, I would start the level over again and try to complete it.

I admit, the later levels are VERY hard to get through. The ending is a letdown. All that happens is the last space station icon blows up to some weird half-ass tune. The pleasure come more from just knowing you beat the game.

Gravitar is tough. I haven't played Thrust or Marble Craze yet (someday...).

I'd give honorable mention to Megamania, Battlezone, Atlantis, Reactor, Tac-Scan, Challenge of Nexar and Jawbreaker. Some of them take a few levels to get going really fast, but when they do - watch out. Also Miner 2049er I & II is hard, but that's just because the control is so frustratingly bad.

My vote is for Rescue Terra I.

God yes! I had forgotten all about RTI. Has anyone ever made it to the end WITHOUT cheating?

Tempest

No, I have done it only with cheating, and this was too very difficult. :D

I have make savestates and I have set the framerate to very slow, but it was hard the last level. To fast the last lines and most you have only one chance to hit the right thing.

So it takes me a long time to finish this game with cheating too. :D

• 3 weeks later...

1. Swordquest Waterworld - There is a reason it was used as the championship game.

2. Road Runner - The only WB product that the Wiley is guarenteed an eventual win.

3. Earth Dies Screaming - Has anyone managed to keep the enemy ship on the screen long enough??????????

4. Atari Golf - Bad course design and even worse player nuff said

5. Video Chess - Its chess any ?s

Chris

I think the most fun 2600 games to play are the hardest - the ones that make you hit the reset switch ONE more time to try and do a little better.   I was wondering which games you think are the hardest?

I'll nominate Astrosmash and Jr. Pac man!  :twisted:

I've been addicted to Dragonfire and Dodge 'Em. Both of those games get super hard super fast. Once I get to the white dragon in Dragonfire, I'm toast in less than 60 seconds. And in Dodge 'Em, I'm lucky if I can beat the second level.

I'd certainly second the nomination of Gravitar. That's a tough one, even for the reflexively gifted! :) I never could get far with Double Dragon either. I always felt like the bad guys were having a field day pounding me into the concrete. Frustration put a stop to my attempts on that one, but I'm sure I'll give it another try sooner or later.

I'm also a fan of Dragonfire, but once you hit the higher level the game is insanely (impossibly?) fast.