IGNORED

OTG cable on Atari 2600+ does not work?

DEANJIMMY

Currently there is no use for it but I wanted to try if if an OTG cable works.

First I tried the one I use for my Switch, including USB hub, Ethernet, Hdmi but no luck.

So I tried a simple one (please see my picture) and it fails to power the 2600+

It works fine on any phone or tablet to give power and use a controller or an USB stick on the other port.

I would at least expect to power the 2600+ by such an OTG cable🤔

20231210_191943.jpg

I think this will likely depend on a match-up between the USB splitter and Atari USB compatibility. This is an issue not just with the 2600+, but loads of electronics because although a lot of cables use the USB-C form-factor, they’re not necessarily actually supporting the USB-C protocol - yay USB consortium for another consumer win! I’m pretty sure the 2600+ is actually USB 2.0 compatible on the inside, so whatever cable you use also needs to support that. Happy to be corrected by more knowledgeable folk than me.

To illustrate my point i have a USB-C - USB-A adapter which won’t charge my 4th gen iPad Air, so I just have to use the cables from Apple or end up with a lovely collection of USB-C cables I can’t use.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Currently there is no use for it but I wanted to try if if an OTG cable works.

First I tried the one I use for my Switch, including USB hub, Ethernet, Hdmi but no luck.

So I tried a simple one (please see my picture) and it fails to power the 2600+

It works fine on any phone or tablet to give power and use a controller or an USB stick on the other port.

I would at least expect to power the 2600+ by such an OTG cable🤔

You're supplying power via what I'm assuming is a female USB C, correct?  It may be the case that only the other(whichever you aren't using) port can supply power on this particular OTG.

As Sean says, this also may be a 'dumb' cable that doesn't allow the 2600+ to automatically determine the capabilities of your power supply, keeping it from using the power provided.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, fluxit said:

You're supplying power via what I'm assuming is a female USB C, correct?  It may be the case that only the other(whichever you aren't using) port can supply power on this particular OTG.

As Sean says, this also may be a 'dumb' cable that doesn't allow the 2600+ to automatically determine the capabilities of your power supply, keeping it from using the power provided.

The power goes into the USB C female.

The USB C male goes into the device (e.g my phone). On the USB A female I plug a joystick or USB stick. That works fine with my Samsung phone or tablet.

But the 2600+ does not get power.

The cable supports USB 2.0

As those cables seem to fail on some devices, can anyone share a link to a cable from amazon, which has been proved to work with the 2600+

Edited by DEANJIMMY

This pretty contraption (USB-C to USB-A to mini USB to powered USB HUB) powers the A2600+ and then it sees the A500 Retro Games LTD THEGamepad and the USB-drive in the hub. It's  a bit flaky though, maybe to do with power?:

rk312x login: root
Password: 
[root@rk312x:~]# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 1a40:0101
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 1c59:0026
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
Bus 001 Device 000: ID 1c59:0026
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0781:5583
[root@rk312x:~]# evtest
No device specified, trying to scan all of /dev/input/event*
Available devices:
/dev/input/event0:	Deeplay-keys
/dev/input/event1:	adc-keys
/dev/input/event2:	 Retro Games LTD  USBController 
/dev/input/event3:	Retro Games LTD THEGamepad
Select the device event number [0-3]: [   28.131117] hub 1-1:1.0: hub_port_status failed (err = -71)
[   28.235780] usb 1-1-port3: disabled by hub (EMI?), re-enabling...
[   29.817688] dwc2 10180000.usb: dwc2_hc_chhltd_intr_dma: Channel 1 - ChHltd set, but reason is unknown
[   29.826920] dwc2 10180000.usb: hcint 0x00000002, intsts 0x04000021
[   29.833261] dwc2 10180000.usb: dwc2_hc_chhltd_intr_dma: Channel 4 - ChHltd set, but reason is unknown
[   29.842485] dwc2 10180000.usb: hcint 0x00000002, intsts 0x04000021
[   29.849561] usb usb1-port1: disabled by hub (EMI?), re-enabling...
[   34.843781] usb 1-1.2: device descriptor read/all, error -110
[   35.023890] blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 60061520

USB-c to hub.jpeg

• Like 1

There is an internal USB port as well.  I've not plugged anything in yet; but it's possible it behaves differently?  I don't have an otg, but I'll try a controller or something.

20231210_151916_HDR.jpg

Edited by suspicious_milk
Edit: I don't have the right adapters. The only controller I could test was the GSP joystick; while it did receive power it was unresponsive in game.
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, jj_0 said:

It's  a bit flaky though, maybe to do with power?:

My guess is the HUB chip. There is several HUB chips that sometimes drop working contacts when you plug in a new contact. And the worst thing is that in my experience there is very little you can do to correct it by software. Usually you need to physically pull out a non-working USB device and plug it in again.

• Like 1

The DB9/Cart Board interferes with USBs on it so that why it funny, only way I got it to read a USB Stick was remove the CPU board from it then plugged into the micro USB connector a OTG USB without power and a 4 Port USB Hub and then a USB A to A Cable from the 4 Port USB Hub to the PC to power it and it then reads the USB Stick OK thats in the 4 Port USB Hub.

Edited by Spanner

11 hours ago, suspicious_milk said:

There is an internal USB port as well.  I've not plugged anything in yet; but it's possible it behaves differently?  I don't have an otg, but I'll try a controller or something.

20231210_151916_HDR.jpg

That one appears to be wired together with the USB-C port.

• 2 weeks later...