IGNORED

Atari 1050 Diagnostics / 2 hour burn-in / serial number

macsonny

4 hours ago, kheller2 said:

The FSM says to disconnect the drive from the SIO line once the test begins.

I understood pulling the SIO cable (or plugging it in) with the drive on is a big no no, which will more or less result in damage to the driver's chips and also possibly the Atari SIO circuit!!  Unless the SIO circuit had a diode mod in place. 

29 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

I understood pulling the SIO cable (or plugging it in) with the drive on is a big no no, which will more or less result in damage to the driver's chips and also possibly the Atari SIO circuit!!  Unless the SIO circuit had a diode mod in place. 

That's what I figured too. Can't be good for the electronics pulling the cable out?

8 minutes ago, macsonny said:

That's what I figured too. Can't be good for the electronics pulling the cable out?

I've fried a 1050 driver's chips before doing so.

Atari should have popped some voltage protection in the drive's SIO circuitry. AFAIK some people add a diode to the A8's SIO circuit to prevent such damage. 

53 minutes ago, kheller2 said:

Someone electrically explain this to me.  Removing the SIO cable, when not in use, even though it's providing +5v to the 1050, causes damage how? Granted the 3086 is always fun when it goes. I can certainly see plugging it in when the power is on being bad.

I've thought this. However, certainly when I've tried to remove SIO plugs from SIO ports, owing to the often tight fit, you are wiggling them from side to side. There is presumably a chance when doing so that it could be connecting and disconnecting the 5v whilst on. Bottom line, given in stock drives and a8s there are is no voltage protection, it's not worth the risk. I've certainly damaged a 1050 drive whilst at least connecting a drive whilst systems were on. Learnt my lesson. 

• Like 1

Well absolutely, I agree, but the reason we are taking about this in this thread is unplugging the SIO whilst a software test is running on the A8, so you can't power off the computer .. :) unless I've misunderstood what the test in question is. (I assumed it was a diagnostic software run on the A8). 

Anyways, like I say I have fried a 1050 before by accident so will always ensure I have both the computer and drive powered off before plugging or unplugging the SIO. 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

use a switchable SIOctopus turn that device port off

I tried to look up SIOctopus. All that I found were articles about real octopi! Just what is a SIOctopus?

Edited by stushug