IGNORED

7800 Cart Info

DanBoris

I just added a page to my website www.atarihq.com/danb that contains all kinds of tech info on the Atari 7800 cartridges. Despite the small library of 7800 games there are a lot variations in how the carts where constructed. The page contains pictures and schematics of the various cart PCBs I have found. The link directly to the page is:

http://atarihq.com/danb/a7800cart.shtml

Dan

• Like 1

That's a lot of great information! Do you plan to add Absolute's and Activision's boards too? And I think you are missing the Commando POKEY cart as well.

In the description of the Ballblazer POKEY cart you wonder what the jumper might be for. I think this is to switch between EPROM and EEPROM chips. If you put an inverter chip in the free spot near the POKEY, you can use an EPROM or an EEPROM instead of a normal ROM chip. But IIRC an EEPROM chip usually has the same pinout as a RAM chip, so you need to swap some signals. That's what the jumpers are for.

Also, before the development cartridge was created, Atari used 7800s with a modified BIOS, similar to our DevOS system. So the POKEY boards might have been meant as RAM carts to test the games. But that would only make sense, if the POKEY boards are older than the development cartridges.

BTW, in the file name for my bankswitching guide you misspelled the "switching". The link works though. ;)

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg