IGNORED

Arcade game work in progress by Shanti

Philsan

Hey hey, I was hoping to see a progress video post of at least one of Shanti77's ongoing projects. Great to see the trax engine being developed as a side scroller platformer. Looks promising. 

Here's hoping soon we'll see a Trax progress update. I think I read they, (Shanti and Qdyn1ec), are mainly focusing on coding their other A8 title Bloody planet, (Alien Breed inspired); so I guess Trax is 2nd and this is 3rd in terms of priority, (the latter albeit likely just a test/proof of engine). 

Edit: great to see multiple colours on enemies (given they are on different levels from each other). Also like some of the platform physics (eg 45deg slippery slopes). You slide down them faster. Nice main sprite speed. 

Wonder how close this engine could come to something that could be a little Sonic inspired should it be used for other platformers?! ;)

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...
42 minutes ago, Philsan said:

During the Atari Homebrew Awards and also in this video, the name of the game was revealed, but I didn't understand exactly what it is.

Ruff'n (A8 Port) by Janusz Chabowski @shanti77 / Jarek "Odyn1ec" Wyszyński  

So it appears to have a working game title of Ruff'n I guess. A nod to the Amiga game Ruff n tumble perhaps? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shanti77 said:

@Beeblebrox I'm creating this game myself, Jarek and I are making Trax.

@shanti77  Great, thanks for clarifying. 

It looks fantastic and James' (Zero page's) - comments about it looking like the DOS Commander Keen games is spot on.

Hope you don't mind me saying the following, (and I am not asking you to devulge any secrets where you don't want to); but are there plans to have different weapons and other things in the Ruff'n engine?

I see there are the different keys to access barriered areas which is great. However, to elevate platformers beyond the usual "collect coins and shoot bad guys" as that can mean the game loses long term interest, where you have any one or more of the following as part of the gameplay always gives added dynamics and increases the appeal/longevity of the game:

• Weapons upgrades
  • Puzzles
  • Hidden areas, (either revealed when something is triggered., switched, collected, switches shot at which can only be triggered by a shot - makes the player think)
  • Switches
  • Teleporters
  • Traps
  • End of level bosses
  • Enemies with varying degrees of difficulty to overcome. ie not all take the same amount of shots, or behave in a different way).
  • Killing enemies to access areas blocked off, etc
  • Quirky pause animations (leave the main character long enough and he get's bored (Rockford from Boulderdash taps his foot, blinks, etc etc)).
  • Switches that turn the lights on and off in levels to reveal secrets, vary the level gameplay.
  • Collecting special items, artefacts, weapons, etc other than just coins.

The Ruff'n engine, (which I know is augmented from the Trax engine), is truly fantastic. Massive kudos to you.

Fast vertical and horizontal scrolling, very fluid jumping between platforms/ladders. Multi directional shooting - which you could really make a feature of the gameplay (eg accessing/activating switches, etc etc), Graphics and sprites are amazing, as is animation. Love the colours you manage to squeeze into the engine, and the water pits and a great visual touch.

One of my favourite A8 games is Flob because aside the unique engine, the puzzle elements are great. Were ever possible in platformers that fit having a puzzle element top them, IMHO it always enhances the game.

Again, I am sure you have a plan for the game, but thought I'd mention these things.

Big fan of all your games. You really do push the limits of the A8. :)

I can't wait to see what happens with:

Ruff'n

Trax

Bloody planet

Kobo

Again, these are just my rambling ideas - feel free to ignore it all. I just think when I see such amazing WIP game engines, I see so much potential for elevating them, (and admitidly I get carried away in the process heh heh!) :) 

Of course I appreciate where coding within 128k or 64k limits, and cpu cycles, a lot of things I realise are a challenge/aren't possible. 

It's your game at the end of the day.

Can't wait. :)

Edited by Beeblebrox

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/24/2024 at 11:15 PM, GravityWorm said:

First level!

Incidentally, (and I realise I am banging the same drum, but humour me), but shanti's ruff n trouble engine would be an amazing base for a very colourful multi scrolling Lemmings game. Loads of colour, traps and animation would be possible I am sure. 

I did say humour me.:)

So, Lemmings 2 on 16bit platforms had great multiscrolling levels which I can see the Ruff n trouble engine really dealing with well (within the constraints of the A8 - but with Shanti magic):

Lemmings 2 SNES - Decompiled - Part 1 - THE LIFE OF A GAME DEVELOPER  Lemmings 2: The Tribes - Beach Level 10

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

Incidentally, (and I realise I am banging the same drum, but humour me), but shanti's ruff n trouble engine would be an amazing base for a very colourful multi scrolling Lemmings game. Loads of colour, traps and animation would be possible I am sure. 

I did say humour me.:)

So, Lemmings 2 on 16bit platforms had great multiscrolling levels which I can see the Ruff n trouble engine really dealing with well (within the constraints of the A8 - but with Shanti magic):

Lemmings 2 SNES - Decompiled - Part 1 - THE LIFE OF A GAME DEVELOPER  Lemmings 2: The Tribes - Beach Level 10

Lemmings was also ported to 8 bit. To SAM Coupé :)

Edited by GravityWorm
empty lines deleted

2 hours ago, Peri Noid said:

There's an Atari port named Brundles. But it's not good. 

Thanks, I am aware of all the Atari 8-bit Lemmings clones.

Tommingi was the closest in terms of animation.

TOMMINGI [ATR] - Atari 800 (Atari) rom download | WoWroms.com

And in fact Mrfish did some great 4 colour colourising at one stage:

image.png.a961dbeef293eb2eb9fc19e20f19da48.png

see here: https://forums.atariage.com/topic/327207-lemmings-on-my-wishlist-for-a-future-revisit-for-the-a8/?do=findComment&comment=4950103

Brundles isn't actually too bad at all and has to be played with a mouse to get the best out of it IMHO, as joystick control with any Lemmings clone is bad. I still have my original 90's Brundles disk set :) 

For me wanting a colourful Lemmmings clone with lots of great animation - that isn't a VBXE enhanced one for example, is the ideal. I don't mind it needing more ram or running off banked ram carts - after all Brundles can opt to load into 256k ram.

Shanti's Ruff n Trouble engine looks like it could deliver quite well for the Lemmings levels that not only scroll left to right, but are several vertical screens high, and get the colour and animations in too. As his engine allows for more colours on different levels vertically, and clearlt some amazing animations for traps, spikes, etc, so could this be used for traps in a Lemmings clone.

Of course all this would take RAM and CPU cycles, but in principle - graphically wise - there is the scope.

I love how his engine gets more colours on screen both horizontally and vertically.

A few gifs of some classing Lemmings traps and animations (where obviously there isn't an expectation at all to fully duplicate these on the A8) - but you see my point:

Lemmings Diary — Wild level 15 - THE SILENCE OF THE LEMMINGS  Lemmings Diary — Taxing Level 2 - "Watch out, there's traps about"  

Lemmings Diary — Beach level 2 - The Barley Mow....  Lemmings 2 Physics Research

and a few stills of the colours crammed into Shanti's Ruff n trouble engine, and traps and switches, lower screen status panel, etc:

Ruff'n»: an Atari 8-bit masterpiece in the making | Video – Vintage is the  New Old  image.thumb.png.4ac52a610d8f3d195bcb62926e8c3010.png

image.thumb.png.d71107a5254d9cc37226db5675d6ae20.png    image.png.56c3395c765c7f49ebf7bdf11d2daebd.png

image.thumb.png.eaa38d79f8e7e1502275113bcf45cb43.png

I'll also mention one of my all time fav A8 games - Henry's house, which really took advantage of DLIs, great animation and humour (and happens to be a great platformer):

image.png.9d04420f6c3f95f811fbd9877df1b30d.png

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rdefabri said:

I actually think this engine would be great for games like a re-done Green Beret, or even something like Rolling Thunder (no Atari port).  

Seems it would work for a lot of genres. After all it started life as an aerial top down "Chaos Engine-esque" engine, and morphed into the Ruff n Trouble side scroller engine.

I really hope it becomes the basis of more games of different genres to follow. Still, jumping the gun a bit as Trax and Ruff n trouble are still in the works. :) 

1 hour ago, pirx said:

Thanks for the links for others to enjoy. :) As mentioned above Tommings is the far superior one IMHO and the closest so far, but (IMHO)the world of Lemmings still has the potential to be more vibrant and packed with amazing animation and traps imspired by/as close to the original Lemmings games on other platforms. Given the amazing Trax/Ruff n trouble engine illustrates what can be achieved, hence my wishlist points made earlier about a (non VBXE) Lemmings engine using all Shanti's tricks for lots of colour and animation in my post earlier, rather than existing Lemmings clones on the A8  :)  I still love Brundles and Tommingi.