IGNORED

FrankenAtari?

Csonicgo

I have Two woodgrain 4 switchers. both seem to work fine, just one problem- the casings look completely different! the first 2600 is an official, original console. the second one however...

Has Yellow paint instead of Orange

Switches are very touchy- Power switch is malfunctioning

Kool-Aid man will not work on this console

Serial number and sticker on the bottom says it's a 1981 6 switcher!

"atari super service" bright orange sticker is on bottom

I know this Atari was like this right out of the box. What the heck is going on? Is this a variation or something?

http://www.atariage.com/2600/archives/consoles.html

Atari VCS - CX2600A Promotional Console picture needed This looks similar to a standard CX2600A model, with a few minor differences. The piping around the switches is yellow instead of orange, and these models were manufactured in Sunnyvale as indicated on the underside of the unit. The box that these came in looks like a normal box except it has "Not for Resale, For promotional Purposes Only" stamped on the underside. We're not sure if there are any technical differences to the console, or if it was just an early edition of the new style for retailers to distribute in advance of sales.

yours have promo stamped in the plastic on the bottom? perhaps under the red sticker? :roll:

I have one that is similar. It has the "Call Atari Toll Free" sticker, but the two halves of the cases do not match. There is a place to select the channel, but it has no switch (because the channel switch is in a different location!) Plus there is a thin, black piece of plastic (that appears to have been manufactured and not hand made) covers the place where the ports for the joysticks, etc would have been on a six switch 2600.

The old Atari repair center that number's for used to be in Arlington, TX, not too far from Six Flags. When I was a kid I saw a local news report on the place. It closed down at the beginning of the Tramiel era. I think it's an office furniture store now. I occasionally dream of going into the place, looking around the building, and finding cases of games and hardware sealed up in a wall or hidden cubby hole or something...... I can dream.....