IGNORED

How many people used the CX-55 as their main way to play 2600 games?

Flyindrew

Recently I received my brand new 2600+ which Im really enjoying playing my 2600 carts on.

Despite this, my favorite way to play 2600 carts is still on my 5200 using the CX-55.

My question-In this world where there are 10 gazillion options to play 2600 titles, how many people used their CX-55 as their main way to play 2600 carts? 

Neat. I can't imagine very many people are doing that. The 5200 system is pretty large and the adapter is quite clunky. I personally just play 5200 stuff on the 5200 and play 2600 on a 2600 or 7800. I have some 2600 adapters for other systems, but it's rarely worth bothering these days.

• Like 2

I'll bust mine out if I get an itch to play a 2600 game while my 5200 is out and I don't feel like hooking up one of my 2600s. It wouldn't be my default method of 2600-playing, though. The adapter is big, awkward, and kludgy, but mine is CIB and was very lightly used when I got it (maybe even NOS; I got it so long ago I can't remember), and I try to keep it in good condition.

To me there's just nothing like an original, standalone Atari VCS/2600 system.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2023 at 1:57 PM, Bill Loguidice said:

Neat. I can't imagine very many people are doing that. The 5200 system is pretty large and the adapter is quite clunky. I personally just play 5200 stuff on the 5200 and play 2600 on a 2600 or 7800. I have some 2600 adapters for other systems, but it's rarely worth bothering these days.

I think the main problem with the 2600 adapters for the Coleco, Intellivision, and Atari 5200 (ironically, the least elegant take of the three IMO) is that they're ultimately just not very convenient. It's one thing to have a bulky add-on, but having to completely disconnect it when you want to play games for the "parent" system is obnoxious. 

As much as the Sega 32X gets crapped on, it at least got that right.

2 minutes ago, BassGuitari said:

As much as the Sega 32X gets crapped on, it at least got that right.

Thank goodness, though, because that did require quite a bit of extra wiring, power, etc. At least the add-ons for the pre-Crash systems were generally quick plug and unplug.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

Thank goodness, though, because that did require quite a bit of extra wiring, power, etc. At least the add-ons for the pre-Crash systems were generally quick plug and unplug.

Right? 32X buyers would have rioted (or just returned their units for refunds) if, after the additional cabling and power supply, they couldn't run Sonic 2 with it.

I dunno, I still think the one-time Frankenstein life support hookup is preferable to having to remove the entire module to play 5200, Intellivision, or Coleco games, simpler though that may be. But I'm probably overstating the issue anyway. 😜

• Like 1

Just now, BassGuitari said:

Right? 32X buyers would have rioted (or just returned their units for refunds) if, after the additional cabling and power supply, they couldn't run Sonic 2 with it.

I dunno, I still think the one-time Frankenstein life support hookup is preferable to having to remove the entire module to play 5200, Intellivision, or Coleco games, simpler though that may be. But I'm probably overstating the issue anyway. 😜

No, I'm with you. Like the various computer add-ons and/or ways to make your console act like a computer, ultimately those "system changers" were proven to have no real long-term value. With that said, even though it's only one platform lineage, I do love that the X Series consoles can play original games dating back more than 20 years to the first Xbox. THAT'S progress.

• Like 2

I don't have a 5200,  But after it came out,  I Did use the Atari adapter on ColecoVision/ADAM (I had both)...I did sell my Atari 2600 to my aunt at the time (My mom kind of talked me into it to save space).  The only original system I ever sold and wished I could have bought it back.  Oh well...*sigh*

20 hours ago, BassGuitari said:

I DID Riot and Return my unit!!   LOL!

Never seen a bigger POS in my life than the 32X.  It DIDN'T play Sonic 2,  It didn't Play ANYTHING!!!  It did NOTHING!!!

You see,  if SEGA had released a working 32X that you just plugged into a Genesis (Model 2 for me), and it WORKED,  I would have been H A P P Y  !!

But instead,  they put out this thing...I bought one Brand New for $20 I think it was (clearanced) and bought Star Wars, Virtua Racing and Kolibri ($5 - $10 per game)...Had plans to scour the stores for more games, etc.  But my unit didn't work...At ALL!

Instead of "plug and play"  which would have been fine,  there were these metal clip deals, which went on first,  like some kind Chinese mystery puzzle.  I (wasting my afternoon really), read the instructions,  followed them to the letter, and it did nothing...So I tried multiple variations of getting the clips to function, of course,   since nothing seemed to fit together like in the pictures anyway...and nothing worked!

Now with the power of the internet,  I find out from one source that it won't do anything unless the clips are connected Perfectly!  Or (from another source) that you don't even really need the clips anyway...

I guess everybody has their gaming curse.  This must be mine.  I read about 1 guy who had 3 broken Super Nintendos!  I've Never Ever seen a SNES fail...Ever!  So we all must have our curses...(Glad it was only for an Add-On)  ;)

18 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

I DID Riot and Return my unit!!   LOL!

Never seen a bigger POS in my life than the 32X.  It DIDN'T play Sonic 2,  It didn't Play ANYTHING!!!  It did NOTHING!!!

You see,  if SEGA had released a working 32X that you just plugged into a Genesis (Model 2 for me), and it WORKED,  I would have been H A P P Y  !!

But instead,  they put out this thing...I bought one Brand New for $20 I think it was (clearanced) and bought Star Wars, Virtua Racing and Kolibri ($5 - $10 per game)...Had plans to scour the stores for more games, etc.  But my unit didn't work...At ALL!

Instead of "plug and play"  which would have been fine,  there were these metal clip deals, which went on first,  like some kind Chinese mystery puzzle.  I (wasting my afternoon really), read the instructions,  followed them to the letter, and it did nothing...So I tried multiple variations of getting the clips to function, of course,   since nothing seemed to fit together like in the pictures anyway...and nothing worked!

Now with the power of the internet,  I find out from one source that it won't do anything unless the clips are connected Perfectly!  Or (from another source) that you don't even really need the clips anyway...

I guess everybody has their gaming curse.  This must be mine.  I read about 1 guy who had 3 broken Super Nintendos!  I've Never Ever seen a SNES fail...Ever!  So we all must have our curses...(Glad it was only for an Add-On)  ;)

I don't know about any metal clips; my 32X works fine without anything like that. I know the pop-top Sega CD had some metal brackets to secure it to the Genesis, though. For 32X you should just need an A/V patch cable and a power supply. 🤷‍♂️

But I agree, if Sega could have found a way to get everything to work through the cartridge port, without the need for patch cables and external power bricks, that definitely would have been ideal. (To the extent that the 32X could be ideal.) But it still would have had the same problem where it doesn't play Atari 5200 games. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BassGuitari said:

I don't know about any metal clips; my 32X works fine without anything like that. I know the pop-top Sega CD had some metal brackets to secure it to the Genesis, though. For 32X you should just need an A/V patch cable and a power supply. 🤷‍♂️

But I agree, if Sega could have found a way to get everything to work through the cartridge port, without the need for patch cables and external power bricks, that definitely would have been ideal. (To the extent that the 32X could be ideal.) But it still would have had the same problem where it doesn't play Atari 5200 games. 

FWIW,

Here's a Reddit thing I found about them...

And here's a pic in the manual (Bottom right)

post-3776-1082520842.jpg

• Like 1

The adaptor is a neat idea but I don't use mine because the 5200 is fully on with all the chips getting warm for no reason!

Like starting one car and leave it sit and take the other car to the store!

Not sure, but I believe Atari never had a plan to release an adaptor for the 5200, as the original 4-port was not designed to use it! They had to make one to compete with the ColecoVision.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

Why does it says 7800 &2600?  There was a rare 7800 version but it was only for 7800 if I remember.  There was no 7800 retail version.

You are correct, the 7800 "Slam-Pam" compatibility module never made it past prototype stage at Atari.

That however is a fully functional recreation of the module and therefore plays 7800 and 2600 games.

On 12/19/2023 at 9:43 AM, remowilliams said:

Cool? - Yes!

The most practical? - Probably not : D

image.thumb.jpeg.d04d56484569108e0203998c601994c8.jpeg

For me, the 5200 VCS adapter is very practical.  My 2600 is in storage and haven't played it in years.  I bought the new 2600+ joystick and when I want to play the 2600, I take out the 2600 adapter for my 5200 and hook up the 2600+ sticks.  I save lots of space and I can quickly switch from the 5200 to 2600 without all the wire changes and needed space needed for 2 consoles.

Edited by phuzaxeman
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, phuzaxeman said:

For me, the 5200 VCS adapter is very practical.  My 2600 is in storage and haven't played it in years.  I bought the new 2600+ joystick and when I want to play the 2600, I take out the 2600 adapter for my 5200 and hook up the 2600+ sticks.  I save lots of space and I can quickly switch from the 5200 to 2600 without all the wire changes and needed space needed for 2 consoles.

How good are the 2600+ joysticks? I myself use the AtGames Flashback versions of them as they have more throw (play) than either the OG 80s CX40 or the original 1977 CX10 sticks. And how much are they gonna run me???

On 12/20/2023 at 9:18 AM, remowilliams said:

You are correct, the 7800 "Slam-Pam" compatibility module never made it past prototype stage at Atari.

That however is a fully functional recreation of the module and therefore plays 7800 and 2600 games.

Do you need to insert the cartridges in an upside down position? Can't see the top label but it looks backwards to me?