IGNORED

TechnoVision Save Our Ship Question

theking21083

I was at my local game store today and I saw a copy of Save Our Ship. I live in the US and never heard of this game before, so I bought it. When I got home I looked it up on AtariAge and Atari Mania and couldn't find much about it other than it was only released in PAL. The thing that confuses me is that my copy works perfectly on my NTSC 2600 Jr and light sixer. I searched around on here to see if I could find any more info on it and read that there was a South American NTSC bootleg and also some reproductions that were being sold by CPUWIZ around 2004. As far as I can tell, my cartridge appears to look legitimate. Does the PAL cartridge work on an NTSC Atari 2600? Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Front.jpg

End Label.jpg

Back.jpg

Port.jpg

PCB.jpg

TV 1.jpg

TV 2.jpg

That's an original PAL cartridge you have there.  There's no region lock on any of the older Atari systems, so it really depends on the television that you're using.  Some PAL games will indeed work but the colors will be off.

I don't have Save Our Ship handy, but I just tested the other two TechnoVision games on one of my NTSC TVs with the following results...

Nuts displays the wrong colors and the TechnoVision logo at bottom of the screen is chopped off, but the game is playable. 

Pharoah's Curse unfortunately is not due to the video display jittering like crazy but it might be playable on a different TV, especially an older one with a vertical hold adjustment.

49 minutes ago, Psionic said:

That's an original PAL cartridge you have there.  There's no region lock on any of the older Atari systems, so it really depends on the television that you're using.  Some PAL games will indeed work but the colors will be off.

I don't have Save Our Ship handy, but I just tested the other two TechnoVision games on one of my NTSC TVs with the following results...

Nuts displays the wrong colors and the TechnoVision logo at bottom of the screen is chopped off, but the game is playable. 

Pharoah's Curse unfortunately is not due to the video display jittering like crazy but it might be playable on a different TV, especially an older one with a vertical hold adjustment.

Thank you so much for helping me to identify the cartridge. I am happy that it is an original PAL cartridge and am even more happy that it works on 2 of my NTSC TV's. I never would have expected this game to show up at a small game shop in the Midwest.

32 minutes ago, theking21083 said:

I never would have expected this game to show up at a small game shop in the Midwest.

I have all three TechnoVision cartridges but mine were sourced from Europe.  Those games turning up in the wild here in the U.S. is virtually unheard of.  Nice find for sure and in great shape too.  👍🏻