IGNORED

WORDLE - support welcome

MichaG

ABBUC mag #155 is out now, including my game WORDLE / German version.

w.thumb.jpg.e6d06de576ef4b11eb678db709d1ae04.jpg

You have 6 attempts to find a secret word, after each guess you get some hints.

If you want this game to support your own language you can help me to make these editions. Please post here, which language you want to contribute and send me your list of words per PM.

- up to 180 words (one per line)
- 5 letters per word
- only the standard atari-charset

In the German version, I just used nouns. The game is written in ACTION!.

WRDL_GER.XEX

• Like 10

I actually started to work on an Atari version of this game early last year.

But somehow I managed to lose much of the work I'd done (mainly the key input routine so it wasn't a great loss)

Supposedly most/all of the game is actually contained within the webpage you load from the NYTimes site.

I grabbed it and extracted the word list about 18 months ago - I think possibly they might have changed the game since then (I do remember there was an archive page that allowed you to play any day's game but they asked him to take it down)

I sorted the English words into alphabetical order - my intent was to do an Atari version and use a software LFSR to pick the words at random and allow you to save position and resume etc.

Anyway, if you want I can see about digging up the English word list I have and pass it on.

• Like 1

Why only 180 words?

With some lazy thinking my concept was to put the game onto an 88K disk - probably allowing about 60K for the word data.

First letters can be omitted, then just keep an index of where the first word for each letter appears.

4 letters unpacked allows 15,000 words in 60K.  From memory the NYT game has at least a few thousand more than that.

With more effort, 4 letters could be packed into 20 bits - 3 bytes per word would allow 20,000 words.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rybags said:

With more effort, 4 letters could be packed into 20 bits - 3 bytes per word would allow 20,000 words.

It is just a small contribution to the new ABBUC mag which was done in a few days. I did not want to use a complete disk, bulid my own compression or handle a list with tons of words. If you want to do so feel free to do it.

For extern supporters it is easier to offer a list of 180 to 200 words than 20,000, too. At least that's what I thought.

6 hours ago, Rybags said:

Why only 180 words?

With some lazy thinking my concept was to put the game onto an 88K disk - probably allowing about 60K for the word data.

First letters can be omitted, then just keep an index of where the first word for each letter appears.

4 letters unpacked allows 15,000 words in 60K.  From memory the NYT game has at least a few thousand more than that.

That easy? Cool. Just go ahead an do it. 😆

• Like 1