IGNORED

HomeBrew?

John Van Ryzin

9 hours ago, John Van Ryzin said:

I find it totally strange that collectors buy an old Atari game, repackaged as a collector cartridge, when they could instead buy a new home brew or Audacity game.

Collectors will buy anything that has a recognizable name and "Limited Edition" attached to it. :)

10 hours ago, John Van Ryzin said:

To me the label “Home Brewer’s” should be discarded.  Any “Developer” could make a game for various reasons: accolades… nostalgia… money… fame… or whatever.  Who cares why they did it?  Who cares what they think it is worth?  All a player cares about is if they like it for what it costs.  Free or otherwise.

Of all the labels that have been attached to "community developed not traditionally published" software over the years--  "Public Domain",  "Freeware",  "Shareware", "Indie",  I think I like "Homebrew" the best

• Like 3

13 hours ago, John Van Ryzin said:

I find it totally strange that collectors buy an old Atari game, repackaged as a collector cartridge, when they could instead buy a new home brew or Audacity game.

I agree, but for the record, there is only ONE audacity game available to buy. (despite YEARS now of talk)

On 12/28/2023 at 5:59 AM, John Van Ryzin said:

Long time fan of the wood-panelled VCS from back in the day here, recently bought a 2600+ and dug out the few games I still had which included my all-time faves HERO, Atlantis and a few others.

i know what you mean about buying new games over re-released classics, and I agree although I did buy Berzerk Enhanced for the diagonal robot fire and speech. But I’m not a collector like some are, I’m happy getting old games off eBay just to play them again. 

However, I’m currently waiting for Thrust+ Platinum to make its way across the Atlantic, my first 2600 homebrew purchase, after loving Rebooteroids on the Jaguar. 

just want to echo the sentiments of others on here to say thank you so much for the fun I had with HERO back in the day, and still am now having with it on the 2600+. And if you do ever release Alien Abduction as a 2600 cart that’ll be another transatlantic order :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slider271 said:

Long time fan of the wood-panelled VCS from back in the day here, recently bought a 2600+ and dug out the few games I still had which included my all-time faves HERO, Atlantis and a few others.

i know what you mean about buying new games over re-released classics, and I agree although I did buy Berzerk Enhanced for the diagonal robot fire and speech. But I’m not a collector like some are, I’m happy getting old games off eBay just to play them again. 

However, I’m currently waiting for Thrust+ Platinum to make its way across the Atlantic, my first 2600 homebrew purchase, after loving Rebooteroids on the Jaguar. 

just want to echo the sentiments of others on here to say thank you so much for the fun I had with HERO back in the day, and still am now having with it on the 2600+. And if you do ever release Alien Abduction as a 2600 cart that’ll be another transatlantic order :) 

Thanks.  I did make a PAL 50 and 60 version a year ago.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, John Van Ryzin said:

Thanks.  I did make a PAL 50 and 60 version a year ago.

Wait, what? 😃 are/were the PAL versions available to purchase anywhere?

I’ve just watched a YouTube video and it looks really impressive. 

• Like 1

It is a great pity that it is not possible to play the game on an "original" Atari 2600 if it does exist. I would happy to pay some money to buy the digital version and play via Harmony cartridge. 😢

Edited by Bomberman94
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the kind words.  

No, it is for sale on VCS 800 digital only right now.  AtariAge says they are going to sell a digital download and cartridge.  The box, labels and manuals have all been created.

It is 16k and uses standard Atari bank switching.  So I am confident it will run on Atari 2600, Atari 2600+, Atari 7800, Atari Game Station Pro, Retron 77, Harmony, VCS 800 and all emulators like Stella and web Javatari. NTSC, PAL 50 and PAL 60.

Edited by John Van Ryzin
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, John Van Ryzin said:

The box, labels and manuals have all been created.

That's excellent news! I bought Alien Abduction for my VCS 800 and surely will buy the cartridge version. Great game.

• Like 2

On 1/4/2024 at 8:07 PM, John Van Ryzin said:

AtariAge says they are going to sell a digital download and cartridge.  The box, labels and manuals have all been created.

Brilliant! Day one purchase for me.

• Like 2