IGNORED

Sega Genesis controller not working on the Atari 2600+

JeffD3614

@JeffD3614 You would need a controller adapter for the Sega Genesis or Master System and Mega Drive to be able to work properly on the 2600+,

such as the 7800 Mega Controller Adapter: https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1295

or the

Seagull 78 Controller Adapter:

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1079

Which could also give the added benefit of being able to play some 7800 games that require two-buttons to play.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, MysticSword said:

@JeffD3614 You would need a controller adapter for the Sega Genesis or Master System and Mega Drive to be able to work properly on the 2600+,

such as the 7800 Mega Controller Adapter: https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1295

or the

Seagull 78 Controller Adapter:

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1079

Which could also give the added benefit of being able to play some 7800 games that require two-buttons to play.

Awesome, thank you for letting me know. I wonder when we get the firmware update if it would fix that issue without an adapter. 

An obscure but interesting option (for like maybe two people 😜) is a Colecovision passthru numberpad.

It allows a Genesis controller to function & the numpad buttons act as 7800 2nd button (well, primary for now since they are switched until a firmware update).

Anyone know how an OG Colecovision controller behaves on a 7800 or 2600+  ?

20231225_195558_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, JeffD3614 said:

Awesome, thank you for letting me know. I wonder when we get the firmware update if it would fix that issue without an adapter. 

It could be a hardware incompatibility (which I think it so) or software issue (or if a firmware update would natively allow Genesis type controllers to work fully on the 2600+, and I've not seen mention about it). Though reading the reviews on those adapters, they do work with the 2600+.

Aside from that, reading through various threads on the forums (I forget which thread specifically), I recall reading that Atari does plan on releasing a two-button 7800 controller (to be compatible on the 2600+ and playing two-button-required 7800 games on the 2600+), based I think on the original 7800 gamepad controllers.

(I think like the one as shown in the image I've attached).

7800_01a.jpg

Edited by MysticSword
  • Like 2

Ooh, the Seagull 78 is back in stock. I have a couple of those. They work with the 2600+. I'm so glad I picked them up a couple of months ago. You can also buy brand new officially licensed Sega Genesis controllers, so you can get the full new controller experience. I think it's Retro Bit that makes them. They make wired controllers that work just like the 90s controllers and wireless controllers that have wireless adapters available. I've heard of people using those wireless adapters with the Seagull 78, but I haven't done it myself.

• Like 2

This post delves into it, but Genesis controllers are wired differently than 7800 controllers.  I suspect the 2600+ replicates the 7800 wiring scheme so as to retain compatibility.  Also, I think I've read that Genesis controllers can actually damage the controller ports on a 7800, so you may want to wait until you have an adapter before you try to use one to play 2600 games on the Plus.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, MysticSword said:

It could be a hardware incompatibility (which I think it so) or software issue (or if a firmware update would natively allow Genesis type controllers to work fully on the 2600+, and I've not seen mention about it). Though reading the reviews on those adapters, they do work with the 2600+.

Aside from that, reading through various threads on the forums (I forget which thread specifically), I recall reading that Atari does plan on releasing a two-button 7800 controller (to be compatible on the 2600+ and playing two-button-required 7800 games on the 2600+), based I think on the original 7800 gamepad controllers.

(I think like the one as shown in the image I've attached).

7800_01a.jpg

I really hope so. Thank you very much for your help.

18 hours ago, Gamma Ray said:

Ooh, the Seagull 78 is back in stock. I have a couple of those. They work with the 2600+. I'm so glad I picked them up a couple of months ago. You can also buy brand new officially licensed Sega Genesis controllers, so you can get the full new controller experience. I think it's Retro Bit that makes them. They make wired controllers that work just like the 90s controllers and wireless controllers that have wireless adapters available. I've heard of people using those wireless adapters with the Seagull 78, but I haven't done it myself.

I have the retrobit wireless Genesis / Megadrive controller. It works flawlessly on the original 2600 but does NOT work properly on the 2600+ The fire button works but not the dpad. I've seen a few people say that the above mentioned 7800 adapters should fix that but not read anything with anyone confirming it.

13 minutes ago, Zap1982 said:

I have the retrobit wireless Genesis / Megadrive controller. It works flawlessly on the original 2600 but does NOT work properly on the 2600+ The fire button works but not the dpad. I've seen a few people say that the above mentioned 7800 adapters should fix that but not read anything with anyone confirming it.

I'd be surprised if it helps. The 7800 adapter deals with the 2 buttons, but the the d-pad is a pass-through. Unless, it's one of the SEL lines that forces the gamepad into the right scanning state. Megadrive controllers work by changing which set of buttons the host is scanning by using a select line. Some d-pad buttons had 2 functions, especially on the 6-button controllers.

mdadapter.thumb.png.a12a604dff0f6008a83c3c10e25b814f.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MysticSword said:

I might work if it's powered separately, such as @DEANJIMMY mentions about using a wireless controller via the Mega 7800 adapter:

and here:

You will need an Mega7800 anytime you want to connect some Genesis stuff.

I connected an original wired pad to it (ok) and an 8bitdo receiver (ok with external power).

I believe I saw somebody using the retrobit receiver without external power on this forum.

But again the Mega7800 was part of the solution.

If it works on real HW it still could fail on 2600+...

My unijoysticle2 C64 works on real 7800 with A/B buttons but gives me continous fire on the 2600+, so I use the standard unijoysticle2  for single button and twinstick games and a Mega7800 for A/B stuff.

This Seagull78 adapter should work too?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Zap1982 said:

I have a Retrobit (v2 receiver) wireless six button Genesis controller.  It does not work on either the 2600 or the 2600+ when plugged in directly.  It does work on both systems when plugged into the Mega7800 adapter.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, remowilliams said:

I have a Retrobit (v2 receiver) wireless six button Genesis controller.  It does not work on either the 2600 or the 2600+ when plugged in directly.  It does work on both systems when plugged into the Mega7800 adapter.

Unsure difference of v1 or v2 but mine definitely works perfectly on my original 2600 without it's own power supply. Just plug receiver into the joystick port, press the button on that, start up the pad and all good for me.