IGNORED

2024! - My Forty Year Anniversary with Molesworth!

dhe

19 minutes ago, Vorticon said:

Ah Dalton's... Bought many books from them back in the day. I think they went out of business.

Barnes and Noble bought them out. I remember the membership for one was a membership with both of them. 

I just started my journey with assembly using that book. I'm promising myself I'll at least do a little reading everyday until I've made it cover to cover.

• Like 2

I'm going back through it over the holiday.

They started off good. Complete program - Exercises 1 & 2, then explaining them.

Then in part 3, keyboard input, they started throwing in lots of programming fragments, then a large program at the end.

• Like 2

I also have that book!  I received it along with my Mini Memory cartridge back in the day from my parents, who were able to purchase it while on a trip to the USA (from Canada).  Our local shops didn't stock much beyond the basic TI consoles and games.

Used it to create a few interesting little graphical demos back then, such as replicating the explosion sprites from Parsec but using a single sprite to do it (and rapidly changing it's position, once per frame). The line by line assembler was a nightmare to use though so didn't get any further until last year.  Modern assembly coding for the TI (or any retro platform I imagine) is sooo much nicer than it was back then with the ability to code in a modern IDE, on a modern computer, and test against multiple different emulators, etc.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, retrodroid said:

Modern assembly coding for the TI (or any retro platform I imagine) is sooo much nicer than it was back then with the ability to code in a modern IDE, on a modern computer, and test against multiple different emulators, etc.

I have that book as well, purchased in the 1980s at some time. 

Modern tools are much better for sure, but those of using Forth Assemblers back in the 1980s (or in 2024 :) ) could write and test Assembly language code interactively like it was BASIC.

Now of course if you code a big error the machine crashed but the reboot process was pretty quick and you were back into the editor toute suite. 

Typically the code routines were short then you concatenated them together with Forth to do more complicated things but it was pretty sweet compared to the edit/assemble/load/bomb/ process with E/A tools. 

I think I bought my copy of that book (and the one from Moresly) from B. Dalton as well. Borders, B. Dalton, and Barnes & Noble were all places I frequented regularly back then, for hobby stuff and all of my other reading materials. . .

• Like 3

I like Molesworth's book.  I made the "mistake" of buying the E/A manual as my first venture into assembly language. I still remember the stares by family members upon seeing me arrive at a family gathering with the E/A manual "tucked" under my arm, as if I was headed to class. At 13 or 14, I tried to read through it but did not really have any clue where to start nor what much of it meant.  Molesworth's book and example source code from various places, including the local TI user group, helped to change all that.  Typing in working examples and then making changes made for formative time well spent.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Torrax said:

Are there any differences between the blue and brown cover versions of this book??

Perhaps you're thinking of Fundamentals of TI-99/4A Assembly Language by M. S. Morley when you say the blue cover version?  If so, yes, that's a different book by a different author. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nope had a blue one from Tex*Comp.  The cover artwork was the same but done in various shades of blue, and the index of contents were the same.  Not sure if it had corrections/fixes from the brown version, as the blue one was donated to our club library.  Sort of answering my own question here.  I never did a side-by-side comparison just a quick look to see if they were similar.  Had the original first and ended up getting the blue one near the end of my run with Tex*Comp.

Most of my dupes from Tex*Comp were from the various bonus offers they had.  Always made sure to include them with my orders back then.  This helped to expand our club material for members.  As I usually donated the extra books i got.

• Like 1

Molesworth's book, flawed as it is, provides a gentle easing into the world of assembly language programming. Once you grasp the fundamentals from it, then you should be well set to advance further, such as going through Bruce Harrison's (RIP) Art of Assembly series in Micropendium. My self-taught assembly language journey started with the Morley book, then Molesworth and finally Harrison. From there I selectively studied the EA manual and pestered anyone on this forum who would listen with questions. 17 years later, I still do 😁

• Like 7

21 hours ago, Vorticon said:

Molesworth's book, flawed as it is, provides a gentle easing into the world of assembly language programming. Once you grasp the fundamentals from it, then you should be well set to advance further, such as going through Bruce Harrison's (RIP) Art of Assembly series in Micropendium. My self-taught assembly language journey started with the Morley book, then Molesworth and finally Harrison. From there I selectively studied the EA manual and pestered anyone on this forum who would listen with questions. 17 years later, I still do 😁

Thanks for the mention of Art of Assembly, that one had passed me by until now.  Here's a link that works for anyone interested:  https://ftp.whtech.com/articles/artassem.pdf