IGNORED

Your favourite SNES music remixes

Alright guys, let's try to forget all that Kirk shitshow. Here's a different topic for a breath of fresh air...what are your favourite SNES remixes? I'm not referring to OSTs from SNES games, remixes specifically. I can't really choose since TheLegendOfRenegade makes a lot of amazing stuff, but here's an example 

Edited by Cris1997XX
  • Like 4

I think this maybe a reach, but did you know that Yuzo Koshiro, as it is, best known for Streets of Rage music, also was the stunning symphony orchestra masterpiece creator of the tracks in the SNES launch window title Act Raiser.

A few years back he remastered and remixed all his stunning pieces into a 2 CD set.  One CD was SNES pure and a PC-?? Japanese computer version games tracks.  But that other disc, oh my it's ear candy insane ear candy.  I couldn't find it domestic at the time (ass virus) but found a french site selling it globally and not inflated so I went that route, took weeks, but it showed up.  The company that put it out Wayo Records also generously put both CDs up at as YT steam, a long file of sorts.

Here it is, saved it to start though with your requested remixes.  Damn fine job done on this.

This music was then used for ActRaiser Renaissance in 2021.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I think this maybe a reach, but did you know that Yuzo Koshiro, as it is, best known for Streets of Rage music, also was the stunning symphony orchestra masterpiece creator of the tracks in the SNES launch window title Act Raiser.

A few years back he remastered and remixed all his stunning pieces into a 2 CD set.  One CD was SNES pure and a PC-?? Japanese computer version games tracks.  But that other disc, oh my it's ear candy insane ear candy.  I couldn't find it domestic at the time (ass virus) but found a french site selling it globally and not inflated so I went that route, took weeks, but it showed up.  The company that put it out Wayo Records also generously put both CDs up at as YT steam, a long file of sorts.

Here it is, saved it to start though with your requested remixes.  Damn fine job done on this.

This music was then used for ActRaiser Renaissance in 2021.

Speaking of ActRaiser, part of the soundtrack was originally composed on the PC-88 and it sounds godly to say the least. I just love those heavy orchestra hits, they go extremely well with FM Synth 

I remember spending hours on OCremix and VGmix, searching for remixes for my favorite games. And the search continues to this day. I immensily enjoy a well-crafted arrangement. I tend to prefer ones where the artist puts his own touch on the piece and not only goes for a note-for-note re-creation. 

As I'm more of a Rock/Metal guy, so naturally the best remixes for me are from that genre. And you can't get much better than SixtoSounds. Here's his take on Sewer Surfin' from Turtles in Time. 

FF VI is probably the most remixed soundtrack out of the SNES library. No wonder as it truly is a classic and there's a little bit of everything for everyone. I'm sure we've all heard around 600 different takes on Decisive Battle so let's go for something different. I love it when artist go off-genre with their takes. Need some Disco Funk in your life?

No agenda in that previous post I'm sure. Kirky just happened to ever so randomly pick a few Sega games.

I wonder, if he went through a clothes wringer, how much liquid envy would be poured out? I'm thinking you could bottle those up and sell as a bitterly refreshing soft drink. You could add different flavorings and colours to compile a whole product family.

I'm thinking "The Genesis of Regret" would have a blueberry tone coupled with deep seething resentment while "Sprite Deficiency" goes for a 1-2 punch of watermelon and wrath. Now what would be a good name for this colorful product line that blasts your tastebuds as well as your senses? 

Oh well, I'll get there someday. 

Edited by Wayler
  • Haha 2

Well this one was Waylers fault oddly for once. ;)

Kirk is clearly doing a subtle troll, but to be fair, I'm listening to these and I have the true carts of them and in a number of choices, or at least in measures of some of these the SNES samples kick the shit out of that crippled YM Sega went with to keep on a budget sadly.  Moonwalker is a bit strange, but I'm digging Outrun, that SoR opening, those two are smooth.

• Like 2

When I found the joys proxy shopping (SFC games), I also realized I could probably find some excellent arrangement albums that I had been on the lookout for years. Capcom's house band Alph Lyla has been one of my favorites. One of their best work is on the album STREET FIGHTER II ALPH-LYLA with YUJI TORIYAMA. Highly recommended, if you at all like the sound of soulful electric guitar. The album starts with a slowed down version of Ken's theme, pure bliss. But the highlight for me is the seldom covered Dee Jay's theme. Dibi-dibi-deejay.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Wayler said:

No agenda in that previous post I'm sure. Kirky just happened to ever so randomly pick a few Sega games.

20 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Kirk is clearly doing a subtle troll, 

Isn't it more like a "self own," though?  I mean, most people seeing this thread is gonna have the perception that he must not like SNES and/or finds Genesis superior since he's finding more Genesis soundtracks to post.  Especially since they aren't gonna dig in to see the details.

• Like 2

This one is awesome but you have to be pretty familiar with the original, it's basically the four movements rearranged in the style of the reverse order (I.E. movement 4 in movement 1's style, movement 3 in movement 2's style etc.):

This one's by the same guy, please stick this one out for the ending, it's definitely worth it (can you spot all the references?):

• Like 2

Ok now I understand. Because he only sees the title and none of the posts, he thinks this is a thread for only literal SNES remixes, made with SNES sound. But why would you post anything with such limited knowledge? Oh wait, he does that already in all of his own threads. 

Anyway, this epiphany might be useful to keep him out of some threads if you name them cleverly. Or really mess up his game. We could have a "Examples of cool Color Blasting" thread but it's really about tacos. They seem to be popular here for some reason. 

• Haha 2

@Wayler You know you're right it is a good way to go, picked up a few soundtracks using proxies, a decent sized gameboy lot to save some money from domestic trolls too.  I really would love to get the Super Famicom Game Music CD that has like SMW through Zelda first party stuff, the first quarter of the disc symphony style remasters which are amazing.  eBay is a pit for it of dreamers wanting 3 figures, yet for as long as I can remember back not one person bought yet the trolls persist... so I just put them MP3s on my phone instead. ;)

And you're right, Color Blasting, Tacos,... a night after Taco Bell.  That could be a good way about it.

• Haha 1

I myself don't quite get this business of de-making a song to sound inferior to the original but guess I understand the appeal. It's just not for me. 

I think DKC came up in a few threads recently so here's a funky rendition of, well, Funky's theme from DKC2. The saxomophone sells it for me. I believe this guy also works for Retro Studios and he is credited somewhere in DKC: Tropical Breeze.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Yeah that Genesis rendition of Simon's theme is pretty good, quite good for the hardware, but still sounds like a downgrade.  Not a big one, but it's just off still.

That's very fair, I'll chalk it up to not being the biggest fan of the sometimes muffled sound of the SNES and the lack of bass in that particular track. The Castlevania IV soundtrack is pretty amazing in general though so it's definitely a hard sell to make a rearrangement on competing hardware.

If we're talking about more modern remixes though then I've definitely been on a bit of a Stone McKnuckle streak as of late, his rendition of the final fight from Wild Guns really stuck with me.