IGNORED

A little history from Wal-Mart.

Buck

1978: Atari 2600 Video Computer System (VCS) - Most popular gaming system in the world from 1978-84, the VCS was technically superior to all competitors.

Technically superior? Umm, I love my 2600 as much as anyone (580+ pieces in my collection and counting) but I don't think it was technically superior to the ColecoVision.

AFAIK they never carried Atari products.

And you're how old? :ponder:

Wal-Mart did not exist anywhere within 200 miles of me until 5 years ago. Maybe you should actually try doing a little research before making comments like these. Look at where I live. All I've ever seen you do here is go out of your way to tell everyone why they are wrong and you are right.

There are 49 OTHER states in this nation and 100s of other countries. What exists in KC, KS does not necessarily exist in Utah or NY or Germany, or Australia. Did you know that?

I dont think they ever did carry Atari, at least the "classic" consoles. Remember when Wal-mart first came out, all they carried were "American-made" products. Not that that would have excluded Atari, but I remember them changing their "American-made" only policy partly because they were faling behing in the videogames market, namely because they didn't carry the Super Nintendo. That was what, 1991-2?

Wal*Mart carried Jaguar when it was released. (Jaguar was, after all, American-made)

As for the page -- someone smack the author.

Atari manufactured 8-bit computers which were manufactured and supported until 1992.

They stopped producing 8-bits around 1989.

In 1993, Atari released 16- and 32-bit systems which ran their own operating systems known as TOSS.

Toss? TOSS? Toss off! The ST was released in '85 and ran TOS.

Designed primarily as a computer for children, the Atari 400 had an "advanced child-proof design featuring pressure-sensitive, wipe-clean keyboard.

It had an annoying membrane keyboard with recessed keys that were hardly "wipe-clean."

1982: Atari 5200 - The Atari Video System X (VEX)

VEX??

Oh, I get it. They hired one of those kids from that EGM "kids on old consoles" article to write this.

I own a 400 and the keyboard is very wipable. Much easier than say a regular typing keyboard which you need to use compressed air. To say the least they are a NIGHTMARE to type on. I tried typing on it like a normal computer and you need to use backspace more than the actual keys. (lots of typos)

It anyone has a cheap 800 for sale I would be very interested.

Our Wal-Mart carried 2600 Atari's untill Nintendo come out. Then it faded out, and we never saw a single other Atari system ever. No 7800, No Lynx, and No Jaguar (5200 simply came at the wrong time)

Man, the days I'd go to Walmart with my parrents, and they'd deposit me in electronics and I'd play the 2600 Kiosk the whole time till they left. Those were the days. Then NES come out, they got rid of the 2600 kiosk, and never did get one for NES (or SNES for that matter)

Walmart

Designed primarily as a computer for children, the Atari 400 had an "advanced child-proof design featuring pressure-sensitive, wipe-clean keyboard.

Sounds more like the Odyssey 2 they're describing. Flat pile of crap for a keyboard. Thank god no game I played had to use it or I would have killed it a long time ago.

Well, at least they have an Atari page. Better than nothing.
I disagree.

Nothing IS better than a massively inaccurate page.

I agree with JB. Plus my take on this is that Wal-mart has done the Atari page out of trendiness, not out of a desire to be informative. If they were earnest about their intentions, they would not have made the mistakes they made. That's just my opinion.

Well, at least they have an Atari page. Better than nothing.
I disagree.

Nothing IS better than a massively inaccurate page.

I agree with JB. Plus my take on this is that Wal-mart has done the Atari page out of trendiness, not out of a desire to be informative. If they were earnest about their intentions, they would not have made the mistakes they made. That's just my opinion.

I disagree. I think that something is better than nothing and I wouldn't go as far as to say that it is MASSIVELY inaccurate. The average person looking at that page probably isn't going to give a crap whether or not some operating system was on one of the old Atari 16-bit computer. I think that they did a relatively decent job of giving a basic overview of what Atari was in the past.

I like it because it gives people a sort of "education" on Atari. Many people I have talked to have a horribly distorted version of Atari's history -- many people don't even remember that Atari had anything other than the 2600. I even heard one guy in Funcoland trying to tell an employee that Atari changed into Sega ("you could tell because they used the same ports on their systems") and then Sega changed into Nintendo.

So what if the information isn't 100% correct -- I didn't see any information that made Atari look bad. As a matter of fact, it didn't even delve into the marketing blunders that occurred throughout the last 20 years. Just look at what they managed to say about the 5200:

"This system packed a mean punch and came in an awesome looking case as well. The 5200 pushed the envelope in video games with START, PAUSE and RESET buttons on its all new controllers -- Atari was hoping to give its gamers the best it could offer."

That's the most glamorous review of the 5200 that I've ever read...

The rest of the reviews read the same way. So why are people upset that they have a classic Atari page? Like I said before - I think they did a decent job for summing up Atari's history and I kinda like how they stayed on the positive side when talking about each system's innovations. I am glad that someone is finally pointing out the good parts rather than just dragging Atari's name through the mud.

It's publicity like that which Atari could use in my opinion

In my area, we ended up getting a HyperMart. It was a joint venture between Wal-Mart and another company. The HyperMart stores were prototypes for the Wal-Mart Supercenters. And back then (late 80's), they carried Atari 2600, 7800, and XEGS carts. That's where I bought all my XE labelled games from when they marked them all down to $2.50! I didn't have much money, though, so I couldn't go crazy. I did also pick up some cheap 7800 games there, too. The HyperMart was eventually renamed Wal-Mart, and they got rid of a lot of cool stuff, like the HyperMart's well stocked arcade room.

Hmm... I wonder if I can get the guy who wrote that page to email me internally here at the company so I can correct him a bit.

Gee.. guess where I work? :P

You are one of 'us'?You should know my name then........ ;)

Nope, I'm guessing you work at our Wal-Mart.Com facility in Palo Alto, a CMI facility in Sacramento, or one of our DC's out in California. I work at the "big cheese"... just look at my location! :)

Hmm... I wonder if I can get the guy who wrote that page to email me internally here at the company so I can correct him a bit.

Nope, I'm guessing you work at our Wal-Mart.Com facility in Palo Alto, a CMI facility in Sacramento, or one of our DC's out in California. I work at the "big cheese"... just look at my location! :)

Oh.....you work for the company's web site....................................................................I see............................................ :x

Oh.....you work for the company's web site....................................................................I see............................................ :x

Nope, you're close.. I work in the same town/building but in a different department though :D