IGNORED

Is it misty in here or...

So I pulled out my Donkey Kong 7800 XM cart I bought long, long ago from Tep on here in anticipation of the 7800XM add-on, which sadly never made it to production.

And now all these years later, it works 100% perfectly (with Pokey Audio!), on a GENUINE ATARI commercially released console, in original Cart form!

Wherever in the vast ether of the great beyond, I hope Curt is smiling down on this. His legacy lives on.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

That is great news!  Is this with the Beta firmware?  I thought I read that it didn't have sound with the original firmware.  Or maybe that was the PK version that someone tested.  It's been to long for me to remember, but my guess is that I would have disabled the external XM POKEY when the chip was added to the cart for the PK version.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, tep392 said:

That is great news!  Is this with the Beta firmware?  I thought I read that it didn't have sound with the original firmware.  Or maybe that was the PK version that someone tested.  It's been to long for me to remember, but my guess is that I would have disabled the external XM POKEY when the chip was added to the cart for the PK version.

This was on the Firmware it shipped with, and on the subsequent beta upgrades. I had the OG release of the XM version, with the cool pre-release 1984-style 7800 label.

I had the ROM you sent me which I could always use in my Concerto on a real 7800, but there's something about this original XM cart working on a genuine Atari console that made me giddy.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet

It is cool to see the 2600+ enabling some of those XM features.  If the firmware gets to the point where it can support POKEY/YM sound, RAM and High Score Cart, then it will have the most useful features of the XM.  I have four games, Beefdrop VE, Froggie, DK XM and PMC 40th that don't have sound chips in the cart and would benefit from those features.  I wasn't planning to buy the 2600+, but seriously considering it now.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...