IGNORED

DecentXL Modern replacement keyboard for Atari 600XL and 800XL

The DecentXL replacement keyboard for Atari 600XL and 800XL, winner of the 2023 ABBUC hardware contest, is now available in its modern version (all new keyboard, including key caps and console keys) for $299 + shipping ($15 to the US) & tax (depends on the state). It's also available as a kit for $240 + shipping & taxes.

image.thumb.jpeg.5e42fd9b34acb23591670934aa9ff8bd.jpeg

(photo is of my prototype, production models may vary)

Check out all the technical details on the GitHub page: https://github.com/bleroy/3d-junkyard/blob/main/DecentXL/readme.md

As with all my designs, this is 100% open-source hardware (you can make your own).

The keyboards are made to order, so expect 2-3 weeks before it ships, depending on my part inventory.

To buy, send me a PM with your choice of switch (clicky, tactile, linear, or your choice of brand and type) and your payment at https://buy.stripe.com/00gbMm0dXceIg804gg. Note that it's considerably more expensive for me to send keyboards outside of the US: you are likely to get hit hard by tariffs in addition to expensive shipping.

A note on vintage keyboards, that adapt the original Atari key caps on top of modern low-profile switches: these will be available at a later date and only as kits. The first supported key types will be Stackpoles (square) and Alps.

UPDATED 3/23/2024: prices lowered after the design has been simplified.

Edited by ScreamingAtTheRadio
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Looks great. The console keys are a little different from the originals, but it works.

One suggestion regarding the lettering/label for the <Delete Backspace> key... I can see the appeal of keeping the narrowly-stacked text to match the original key. But, this was more of a necessity with the original key, due to the width of the key itself. With the wider key you're using here, I think (at least as an option), the overall distribution of space for the text can be improved by combining "back" and "space" on the same line -- as is normally done.

DecentXL-Charcoal-Caps.thumb.png.7b31297db8d4e2d723d8fc347c4adf70.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MrFish said:

One suggestion regarding the lettering/label for the <Delete Backspace> key... I can see the appeal of keeping the narrowly-stacked text to match the original key. But, this was more of a necessity with the original key, due to the width of the key itself. With the wider key you're using here, I think (at least as an option), the overall distribution of space for the text can be improved by combining "back" and "space" on the same line -- as is normally done.

Yeah, that's a good point. In fact, we have a perfectly authentic source to tap from for that key: the 1200XL's 2U backspace key:

image.thumb.jpeg.b0bf1fe7dcbaa2c8288413288ccb4b78.jpeg

@XL Freak what do you think?

• Like 5

Nice.

Though I'm not sure about these relocated keys.  Break should be out of the way a bit so you don't hit it accidentally.

Control, I suppose that makes 1 handed operation easier.  But Caps Lock - a key you can go days or weeks without using.  I suppose the entire revision does move things closer to PC standard and make muscle memory habits going from emulation to real thing less mistake prone.

• 2 months later...

Just a note that I was able to simplify the design, which makes it possible to offer the DecentXL keyboards at the same price as the other Decent keyboards, that is $299 + $15 shipping to the US for the assembled modern version. I'd update the original post, but AtariAge won't let me...